Experience with Ted Pella SE blades in carbon steel?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
CMur12

Experience with Ted Pella SE blades in carbon steel?

Post by CMur12 »

Anyone have experience with the GEM or PAL carbon steel blades offered by Ted Pella?

I have tried the Treet Super SE blades, which are carbon steel, and I really like them. So, I would like to know how the Ted Pella blades in carbon compare to these or to the GEM Blue Stars.

Many thanks -

- Murray
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If they're uncoated, I would not recommend buying more than a small quantity to try out.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I find the PAL carbon steel blades harsh

Alan
[Currently]
Gillette Travel Razor
Croma Diamant Blade
Boar or Omega Syntex brush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood shave soap
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

alcx77 wrote:I find the PAL carbon steel blades harsh

Alan
[Currently]
Gillette Travel Razor
Croma Diamant Blade
Boar or Omega Syntex brush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood shave soap
Alan, here's YMMV at work. I got feedback to the same question, on another forum, form a wetshaver who likes the PAL blades best of all! Your feedback certainly reinforces that I will not know how they work for me until I try them for myself. :?

So far, I like the Treet carbon steel blades (uncoated) quite a bit better than the GEM/Personna stainless (coated).

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

murray, i emailed ted pella and got a reply. they said their 3 facet carbon blades are sharper then their stainless but the stainless coated blades are smoother and last longer.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

gil3591 wrote:murray, i emailed ted pella and got a reply. they said their 3 facet carbon blades are sharper then their stainless but the stainless coated blades are smoother and last longer.
Gil, that jibes with my experience of the Treet carbons and GEM/Personna Stainless. Though the Stainless is smoother and milder, I actually got less irritation with the sharper Treets, and I'm guessing that the Treets are the same as Pella's carbon steel GEMs.

I look forward to trying the GEM Blue Stars and the PALs.

- Murray
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Gems require extra care :shock: [for me] to shave with
but provide very good results. :wink:
Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade
Boar bush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood soaps
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

I've found all carbon S/E blades to be an expensive pain in the butt.Only getting one or two shaves,even after drying or dipping in alcohol after use,is not very economical. If you get old stock blades,the edges have already started to deteriorate. :roll:
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

There's a lot of room for stropping experiments when you're using non-stainless blades.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I own a strop and dressing and did 60 back and forth strokes with light pressure on a pal carbon steel without results. Having lost my str8 purchaced 20 years ago without ever having shaved with it or stropped it I, no doubt do not understand how to strop a blade! Any suggestions as to how to go about stropping this type of blade? :?:
Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade
Boar bush
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

spinyeel wrote:I've found all carbon S/E blades to be an expensive pain in the butt.Only getting one or two shaves,even after drying or dipping in alcohol after use,is not very economical. If you get old stock blades,the edges have already started to deteriorate. :roll:
Spinyeel, I dry everything off and hand-strop the blade after use, so I have no problem with rust and I get more shaves out of a blade. (I only shave my neck, and I only do that every other night, so a blade lasts me longer anyway.)

The GEM Blue Star and Treet carbon steel blades are very noticeably sharper than the GEM/Personna stainless. Though the carbon blades aren't as smooth, I can use a very light touch and mow through the beard in a way that I can't with the stainless.

I might note that this is my experience, so far. I'll do some more experimentation with all types of blades to be more certain. I need to find some PAL carbon steel blades also, for comparison.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

alcx77 wrote:I own a strop and dressing and did 60 back and forth strokes with light pressure on a pal carbon steel without results. Having lost my str8 purchaced 20 years ago without ever having shaved with it or stropped it I, no doubt do not understand how to strop a blade! Any suggestions as to how to go about stropping this type of blade? :?:
Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade
Boar bush
Alan, do you notice any difference between the GEM and the PAL carbon steel blades?

- Murray
lakrismay

Re: Experience with Ted Pella SE blades in carbon steel?

Post by lakrismay »

Sorry for bringing a very old thread back to life but this is some information I have not been able to find on any forums so far conclusively.

Is the Ted Pella Gem SE Carbon Steel uncoated blade (pack of 100; product # 121-1) very close to or the same as Treet Super SE Carbon blades (which is usually seen in packs of 5 or 10)?

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/bl ... rbon-steel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZM ... 2XGB4DE5CW

Also curious what the difference between the Ted Pella 121-1 blade and 121-82 blade is and wonder if the 121-82 is shave worthy? The 121-1 is described as the best 3 facet blade and the 121-82 is described as top quality 3 facet blade by Ted Pella.

I understand that the Ted Pella Blue Carbon Steel though a 3 facet blade is NOT shave worthy, after reading the feedback from a few experienced wet shavers. So that leaves only the 121-1 and 121-82 to be explored for me and would love to hear some feedback before purchasing them. I do love the Treet SE blade but have not tried either the GEM Blue Star or any Blue coated blade.
Thank You!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The only way to make it conclusive for yourself is to test them. Blades are possibly the most YMMV factor in traditional shaving. Let us know how you make out.

I tested them a few years back and they were pretty terrible, but they may have been old stock micro rusted blades too. In no way were they sharper than the 121-3s. That's the problem with carbon blades... just by sitting out they rust and become worthless for shaving.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
lakrismay

Post by lakrismay »

ShadowsDad wrote:The only way to make it conclusive for yourself is to test them. Blades are possibly the most YMMV factor in traditional shaving. Let us know how you make out.

I tested them a few years back and they were pretty terrible, but they may have been old stock micro rusted blades too. In no way were they sharper than the 121-3s. That's the problem with carbon blades... just by sitting out they rust and become worthless for shaving.
Thank You Brian. This is helpful information from you. I would definitely love to try one of those bulk blades if someone had a spare or two but will not buy them after reading your experience.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

lakrismay wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:The only way to make it conclusive for yourself is to test them. Blades are possibly the most YMMV factor in traditional shaving. Let us know how you make out.

Thank You Brian. This is helpful information from you. I would definitely love to try one of those bulk blades if someone had a spare or two but will not buy them after reading your experience.

Thats why I chickened out a year ago when I ordered 200 Ted Pella Stainless Steel coated blades. :wink:
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have some carbon steel Treet blades that were sent to me. Not a favorite blade of mine, but I can get approx' 10 shaves out of one.

If anyone wants what's left in the pack, maybe 6, just PM me. I prefer the GEM SS ptfe blades, but if you've never used CS blades they'd be worth trying just so that you can say that you did. I did put some mineral oil on them when I first got them to extend their life. I can't send just a few since they're in a plastic dispenser.

I remember the GEM CS blades from CVS as being quite good, but they rust.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square