Injector Question

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sodapopjones

Injector Question

Post by Sodapopjones »

So I received a bakelite injector this week in a lot from ebay, and have a question regarding the tension.

Unlike the 60's models that have a flat spring and plastic cover or are adjustable, this version has a forked tongue and groove fastener piece and I'm curious about the amount of play in the head of the razor.

I have messed around with a blade in and out of the razor and am curious, should the head assembly or whatever you would call the bit with the blade and blade guard have some play in it when loaded, ie wobble and not be completely fixed?

The blade will seat correctly once loaded, however liked I mentioned there is some play in the head assembly it will slightly rock left to right, the blade does stay in place however.

Sorry if this seems retarded, however in my wet shaving career I have never ever used an old injector till now.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Aaron, it sounds like the spring weakened, probably from someone tinkering with it, or just from a lot of use. That's one of the reason's why they did away with that particular design.
No, it shound NOT wobble. If the razor is operating correctly, there will be no "play" in it whatsoever.
Regards,
David
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

desertbadger wrote:Aaron, it sounds like the spring weakened, probably from someone tinkering with it, or just from a lot of use. That's one of the reason's why they did away with that particular design.
No, it shound NOT wobble. If the razor is operating correctly, there will be no "play" in it whatsoever.
Ahh ok thanks, I didn't think so lol!

I'm going to go with option #2 that it was just used a lot, good thing it wasn't the main item I wanted to win!

*Edit*Fixed the wobble

I did scratch up the spring, but it at least works the way it was supposed to, what a difference :lol:
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

With any non-cartridge razor, there should be no wobble where the blade is being held.
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Pauldog wrote:With any non-cartridge razor, there should be no wobble where the blade is being held.
Well when I first looked at the the little fork my brain thought, hmm maybe it does pivot? Now that I realize its just a guide for when the head moves when the key is inserted, I had an oh... moment :oops:

Seeing as how it was an easy fix and how cheap they're I might actually find a better and another AD :lol:
brotherderekb

Post by brotherderekb »

Aaron,

I am new to the Schick's myself, but I have done a bit of research on this.

On the model you are describing, the spring is fixed. You can twist it by forcing it, but that is not the design.

There are other models where the spring does turn and release the head and there is the one you have where it is held in place by that fixed "notch" .....for lack of a better word.

Personally, I like the one that turns in order to clean it better, but I am sure the shaves are the same. Schick also has a 'Hydro-Magic" model, I think it is I2, that releases the head for better cleaning. It is from the 50's.

Here is a link that explains some things.... Good luck!

http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

Derek
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Thanks for the link Derek!

I wish I would have seen that earlier :wink: