How to know which blade is best for me?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jsa6916

How to know which blade is best for me?

Post by jsa6916 »

I've been shaving with a safety razor for several weeks now and I've tried several different blades from my sample pack. I'm wondering what is the best way to find out what blade is best for me?

So far the best blade I've used has been the Shark Super Chrome, as it has been the only blade that I have got no nicks with. Not sure if that's the best indicator for what blade is best for me, so just looking for little bit of advice on how to tell which is best.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no nicks, I think, means that your technique is getting better :lol:

on the subject of which blade, the experts will hopefully be here shortly to help out

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum j!

I'm no expert, but there are many blades I have tried, which I really don't like! I like the sharper blades, so that might limit my choices.

If you have tried several different blades and have not found one that you don't like I say "good for you"! If you like the Shark the best, I'd say keep trying others and maybe you will find one you like better (or find others you really don't like). In any event, only you can decide what works best for you.
Regards,
Andy
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Well, I don't know if I'm an "expert" (Squire is really the only one who rates that designation on the subject of blades), but I have been DE shaving for decades, so maybe I can shed at least a little light.

Basically, there's a range of sharpness (mild to super-sharp) in blades. Most rate Feathers as sharpest (though there are several that approach it), and there are many milder blades out there.

Blades also vary in terms of smoothness / comfort, but there is much less consensus around here as to which blades are smooth, so probably the only real test on that is personal trial and error.

In selecting a blade, I look for a blade that performs well in both categories -- but it's a balancing act. I'm willing to compromise to some degree on sharpness (and I guess in some respects any blade that isn't a Feather represents some degree of compromise on sharpness), but I reject any blade that isn't smooth for me. And since I have fussy, sensitive skin, many blades just aren't smooth enough for me (even though they may be excellent blades, they simply don't suit me because they leave my face red, so I reject them).

If my skin were tougher, I'd just use a Feather and be done with it. But for me personally, the best all-around compromise is the Derby, which I personally would give, say, a B+ on sharpness and an A- on smoothness. I haven't found anything else that works as well for me.

So, in summary, I'd say find the sharpest blade that is smooth and comfortable for you. Oh, and study Squire's rankings carefully . . . they'll give you lots of good information about which blades might be suitable for you.

Best of luck, and enjoy experimenting with different blades.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nicks are an indicator of technique shortcomings, not of a blade's desireability. Like BeatlesFan I break down a blade evaluation in terms of effectiveness ( sharpness and longevity ) on the one hand, and smoothness and comfortability on the other. And like him also, my skin seems to be pretty sensitive to differences in various blades. The only way to find the 'best' blade(s) for you is trial and error. And, as your technique continues to improve, your favourites may shift.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

You are on the right track, using a variety and keeping track of those qualities that the others above have mentioned. How long the blade lasts, how smooth your face was after the shave, and then there are the other variables --- the razor of course, and the techniques you use (preparation, angle, pressure, etc.).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Good advice so far. I'll add a few blade recommendations if you like the shark blades. All the following are somewhat similar to the Shark, though for me slightly better:
-Israeli Personna (aka "Crystal")
-Red Pack Personna
-Dorco ST301 (the ST300 is NOT nearly as good IMHO and most other's opinions)
-Astra Superior Platinum (this one is a little sharper than the others)
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
jsa6916

Post by jsa6916 »

thanks for all the advice. I'll continue to test out blades to find the best one for me!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey j. An anomaly I've found is a blade may perform a little better or worse in a different razor. This is due to tiny manufacturing tolerances even between razors of the same make and model. An experiment would be to shave half your face with one combination then carefully load the blade into a different razor for the second half. Sometimes the cut is the same, sometimes noticeably different.

For me the first choice is selection of razor then find a blade that matches. It sounds like you have a good combination now so I would stay with that for the time being until technique becomes second nature. You basically have to learn a golf swing before refining the tools.
Regards,
Squire
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Hi J.

Some great advice thus far. Trial and error has been mentioned several times, for good reason - only you will know what works and doesn't work for you as you experiment with different blades, razors, and combinations of the two.

One last thing, don't be in a hurry to toss out a blade that is not working RIGHT NOW. Save it to try with a different razor you get down the road (when, not if :wink: ) or when you been working on your technique for a while. I've heard several gents say they didn't like a blade, soap, razor, brush, fill in the blank, set it back in the way-back, come back a year later and love it.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Trial and error seems to be the only way. The key is to "shave your beard, not your face" :!:

Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade [Shaves so far 14]
Boar or Syntex bush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood soaps
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

There are several methods for determining which blade is best for you. This could be a long post, but I'll try to be brief.

If you are using a sample pack, start with a blade (doesn't matter which one) use it for a normal time period; 2-4 shaves. Do not change anything; razor, cream/soap, razor, "Anything". Go to the next blade and do the same thing. Do the same thing with every blade in the sample pack "do not change anything".

Then go through the pack again utilizing the same procedures. After you have gone through the sample pack two or three times you should be able to determine which blade works best for you.

Some discard the first razor or two "Because they haven't perfected their technique and blame it on the razor blade". The technique is most important in this process. Once you've perfected your technique you will be better able to determine the best razor blade for you.

Also, some razor blades (IMHO) work better in specific razors. You will find that to be be the case after you experiment. Give everything time and do not rush the process. "Some (me included) save the Feather blade for last.

Let us know the results and as always...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jsa6916

Post by jsa6916 »

Just used the Astra Superior Platinum for the second shave and I really like it. It is a better shave than the Shark. Got few other blades I'm going to try, then go back to some of the first blades when I was starting. The Astra has yielded the closest shave so far for me.