Is it worth upgrading from a Progress to a Futur or Vision?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Dexter99

Is it worth upgrading from a Progress to a Futur or Vision?

Post by Dexter99 »

Hey guys - I've been wet shaving for almost a year now, and have pretty much only used the Progress (as it was a good recommendation for a newbie, and that was so true).

I recently got to see a Futur, and a Vision in person, and really like the look of both of them. My concerns are:

1. They both seem to have really smooth handles, and I've read complaints that they can get slippery. I think the Progress handle is somewhat smooth as well, and doesn't seem to slip for me - Although it does have slight vertical ridges, so that might be helping. Would the smooth handle be an issue in your opinion?

2. I've also read complaints of problems with the razor door on both the Futur and the Vision. Apparently the Progress is also well known for having a blade exposure defect, but mine seems fine. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the blade door problem, and how much of an issue it was?

Just looking for some feedback before I possibly decide to take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!!
Merkur Futur
Merkur Dovo Silvertip Brush
Proaso Shaving Cream
Feather/Super Iridium Blades
CO Bigelow Peppermint Cream
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

If the Progress works for you, use it. I have a boatload of Merkur razors (go figure) and the Progress is one of my favorite adjustable razors.

The Futur and the Vision are both good razors. Some find them too large and hard to use. Some have trouble changing blades and some say they are too smooth and slippery, hard to maneuver in the close areas. There may be some truth in all that but if you "Take your time and Enjoy Your Shave, "No ProblemO". Some say they are excellent (I'm included in that category, "You Think"). I enjoy both of them. But I'm rather biased.

I've always said "We are a bunch of Eccentric Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts". Preferential being the key word.

But honestly, if the Progress works for you, stay with it. It is a great razor and could very possibly be the only razor you will ever need.

Enjoy your shave...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i've used a progress and a futur. i think they shave about the same. the futur is more bullet proof. no problems with the grip or the head or blade replacement. i always had to check the progress for proper blade alignment. i never had a problem but with the futur it's not a concern. i settled with the futur. it's just cool to own.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

If you must, buy the Futur, much better than the over-priced Vision imo...
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
adrian

Post by adrian »

If you post the question, you are already with 1 foot in the shop. I know I was :)
What about elephants?
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Get the Futur, you won't be sorry. No, the handle does not slip as long as your hands aren't soapy. No problem with changing blades or the hood of the razor. On some models of the Vision they do have some "line up" problems with the blade in relationship to the dial adjustment.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Simpleminded Rob

Post by Simpleminded Rob »

Do like I did. Get the Vision. Then get the Futur. Then get another Futur with a different finish. Then get a Progress. Then get Mer to replace the plastic knob on the Progress. Then realize that the Progress shaves better than either the Vision or Futur. Use Progress as main razor while enjoying Vision and Futurs as overpriced dust-catchers that take up space under your sink.
Nick Freeh

Post by Nick Freeh »

I have no experience with the Vision. However, I own both the Progress XL and the Futur. I think they shave about the same, and I wouldn't want to part with either one. I like the Futur a little bit more. Blade changing with the Futur is quite easy once one gets the hang of it. I also like the fact that changing the blade in the Futur does not necessitate resetting the adjustment dial (as it does with the Progress).

As far as blade exposure/alignment with the Progress goes, I have sometimes noticed an apparent slight misalignment and it bugs me. However, I think we wetshavers tend to be a bit obsessive-compulsive about such things. On the days when I have noticed the misalignment and have shaved with it anyway, I haven't noticed any difference in the shave. I have concluded, in my case anyway, that if it doesn't CAUSE a problem in my shaving then it ISN'T a problem. I sleep easily now, with no bad dreams about bloody, lacerated cheeks and neck. :lol: Of course, YMMV and all that. Maybe some Progress razors have had serious misalignment problems, but I've never encountered one.

I think you will end up loving the Futur if you get one.

-Vance
DEF

Post by DEF »

I recently bought the Futur (satin finish) from BullGoose, and I like it quite a bit. It is a big and fairly heavy razor, but to me, the waist that they put into the handle is just right. I have no problems with the balance or grip.

I have a Progress, too, but the blade is misaligned; the gap gets slightly wider as you go down the edge. It shaves well, but just doesn't seem quite up to the fit and finish of the Futur, which is a very solid razor.

The top plate just snaps on, which is unique. You have to be a little more careful when changing the blade, but I don't have any trouble with it.

If you're getting good results with the Progress, you probably don't "need" the Futur, but it's a nice piece to have.
Doug
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i wont tell you to stay with your progress and i wont tell you to get a futur

the vision has maybe everything that has been invented for a de razor
tto and adjustable great styling etc etc ....i think it has a few things the are not needed ..enough said

i have been using a futur for 10 yrs plus and i have tried many other fine razors but the bottom line is nothing so far as replaced it

futurs are amazing in every especially the shave it gives and works with any blade you put in it

its weight is perfect to the face and it adjusts from mild to wild.
it has good grip even with wet hands just gets slick if yours hands are soapy.

so as you can see i am a futur fan.. i never shaved with a progress
but they have many fans and now a days you can realy get nice mods for the botton of the handle

you just cant knock a merker!!!!!!

marc
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

For me I cannot tell, since I have no experience of the Futur or Vision.

Progress is good since it can be a mild shaver. Not knowing about the new ones as I heard they are more to the aggressive side I heard even if set to a low setting. Mine is my choice when I want a mild shaver, not overly mild just one that takes care of my whisker removal ATG without much irritation.

I am still wondering about my inherited Tech or the SuperSpeeds I have. I get good shaves from them yes, but better from my HD that is supposed to be more aggressive than them. I guess it is the Merkur head?

And I do get better shaves even from Lord Tech than my fixed head Gillettes. Also the Feather Portable is a nice razor, tech clone, albeit a bit on aggressive side.

To put up my experiences so far is that Merkur heads/guard somehow work better for me, but it is not a larger margin and basically I can get a good shave with any of my razors and I rotate them all.

And to have a mild shaver Progress is best from mine. Though otherwise not my fave as it gets clogged being a closed design.

Jarmo
Jarmo
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If the handle is slippery, you can always dip it in some liquid neoprene.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Dexter, I wouldn't be concerned about the smooth finish on the handle. Dry hands, no problem, wet hands are not a good idea with any razor.

I much prefer the Futur over the Progress but there's no reason you can't have both. The law says a guy can only have one wife at a time but that doesn't apply to razors.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Being a shower shaver and a big fan of the Futur I resort to
filling the handle indentation with a quarter inch rubber band :!:
Not much for the asthetics but it does wonders for a wet grip. :idea:

Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade [Shaves so far 18]
Boar or Syntex bush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood soaps
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

The title of the thread sort of threw me. In my opinion there is really no "upgrade" from a Progress to any other Merkur razor- merely a different (and very subjective) shade of Merkur. I have tried all of them and had about given up on them as my face just did not get along with any of them until..... A great big barber pole slant swept me off my feet.
Love it - and it gets to fill in between straight razor shaves as much as my vintage Gillettes and Gems.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Good post Tom. For a moment I thought I was the only person who could read between the lines and decipher his TRUE QUESTION! Yes, definitely go for the Slant! :lol:

Futur and Progress are fine razors. I owned both at one time.
Dexter99

Post by Dexter99 »

Thank you for all the great responses guys! And as for the slant bar - I've also been thinking about that one.

I'm quite happy with the Progress, so getting a Futur or Vision would more be for the look of it, as it seems the results are fairly the same as the Progress.

I know when I first got into this, I got hooked hard, and spent way too much off the start. Now I'm a bit more cautious when deciding on making purchases.
Merkur Futur
Merkur Dovo Silvertip Brush
Proaso Shaving Cream
Feather/Super Iridium Blades
CO Bigelow Peppermint Cream
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The Futur has more "aggressiveness" to it than the Progress. If you are sometimes disappointed with the Progress being too mild, or missing a lot of stubble, then I think you want a Futur. Otherwise, you might find the Futur not to your taste. The Futur never misses ANYTHING. Not even when you want it to. :lol:
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

When I want a real close shave, I bring out the Futur razor. It glides through whiskers like there's nothing there. If you're not careful, it might also give you a nice cut if you press too hard. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
highball

Post by highball »

get a Futur