Need info on Derby horizontal vs. vertical

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Need info on Derby horizontal vs. vertical

Post by brothers »

I just now became aware that there is a discussion about these Derbys. That's the first I've heard of there being different kinds of Derbys. Can someone who is more familiar with this issue please enlighten me? I always seem to be the last to hear about stuff. What is this all about anyway?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
iamdarkangel2008

Answer

Post by iamdarkangel2008 »

Here the answer to your question.

This is not my information, but someone gave me the link.

Hope this helps you,

Dark

http://www.shavingzone.com/2010/03/cork ... or-blades/
Always Enjoying a Good Shave!!!
Red Personna in store 5 pack and 10pack!
100 Red Pack Personna Blades now in Stock
www.razorbladesandmore.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very interesting. Thanks a million!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Gary,

I can assure you that you were at the very least the second last person to hear about this stuff :D
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Gary,

I came across the vertical Derby's last year and found they shaved okay and comparable to the horizontal version. They were at the time my preferred blade, I have since moved on to another choice. The one thing I did notice is that the packaging seemed cheaper, the plastic container seemed flimsier and the blade wrapper was not folded and glued as nice.

At first I thought maybe they were "knock off" Derby's but was never able to conclude on that issue. Since I acquired them as a throw in with a trade I let them go as part of a sale of one of my razors. I still have 100 of the horizontals in stock.

We are quite lucky these days with the choice and selection of blades that are currently on the market.

PS - the 100 Derby's that I have came from Meylus and were horizontals.
Good shaving,

Gary
infotech

Post by infotech »

I've never understood the uproar. I got a box of 100 "verticals" and didn't notice any difference.
James
Jaymo

Post by Jaymo »

I bought a box of 100 verticals off Amazon a couple of weeks ago and they shave great. BBS with no irritation. And my face is easily irritated. Personnas leave me feeling like I shaved with a belt sander or chainsaw.
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

infotech wrote:I've never understood the uproar. I got a box of 100 "verticals" and didn't notice any difference.
Ditto!!! I have Derby "verticals" and get great, close, comfortable shaves. I too never understood the "horizontal" vs "vertical" deal. I have Merkurs (23c and 38c), an EJ89L, a Muhle 89R, a Fatboy, and Slims and the Derby is great in all of them. I guess they just work good with my face/beard.

Ed
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

ichabod wrote:Gary,

I can assure you that you were at the very least the second last person to hear about this stuff :D

Third!

After reading later comments, I am now on the quest for the Goldilox® just-right "diagonal" Derby blades...
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Pauldog wrote:
ichabod wrote:Gary,

Third!

After reading later comments, I am now on the quest for the Goldilox® just-right "diagonal" Derby blades...
What happens if you put those in a slant razor? Do they slant it more, or cancel it out? :lol:
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

i never heard of such things.. all my derbs are hori's.

man even my basic goto blade has been changed!! augh. should bought more horizontals when I had the chance..

hmm even my bluebirds are horizontal.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Didn't Derby get bought by Gillette?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm hoping there's a discount code for SMF guys to use when buying Derbys from "the Shaving Factory".
Last edited by brothers on Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Pauldog wrote:Didn't Derby get bought by Gillette?
Only a rumor - Derby is still Derby!
Good shaving,

Gary
kevtex

Post by kevtex »

I've used about 15 of the new Derby's and haven't found a bad blade yet. I cork them when newly opened and I get 4 good shaves from each one in my British Parat. The Derby's seem to be particular about which razor they want to perform in for me. I've used them in a Merkur HD and EJ DE89L with less than stellar results. I'm curious to see what Squire has to say about the new Derby. Does anyone know if he's had a chance to examine them up close?
brothers

Post by brothers »

kevtex wrote:I've used about 15 of the new Derby's and haven't found a bad blade yet. I cork them when newly opened and I get 4 good shaves from each one in my British Parat. The Derby's seem to be particular about which razor they want to perform in for me. I've used them in a Merkur HD and EJ DE89L with less than stellar results. I'm curious to see what Squire has to say about the new Derby. Does anyone know if he's had a chance to examine them up close?
Is there a new Derby? I mean other than the horizontal/vertical label curiosity?
Gary

kevtex

Post by kevtex »

brothers wrote:
kevtex wrote:I've used about 15 of the new Derby's and haven't found a bad blade yet. I cork them when newly opened and I get 4 good shaves from each one in my British Parat. The Derby's seem to be particular about which razor they want to perform in for me. I've used them in a Merkur HD and EJ DE89L with less than stellar results. I'm curious to see what Squire has to say about the new Derby. Does anyone know if he's had a chance to examine them up close?
Is there a new Derby? I mean other than the horizontal/vertical label curiosity?

The Derby blades I use have the new vertical labels. I'm not sure if the blades themselve have been changed.
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

I had my first shave with a vertical Derby today. It was awful. It was like pulling the hairs out one at a time. I tossed it before completing my first pass. Of course, I have had equally bad shaves with an odd blade here and there with the horizontal Derby's. And my first shave with a Gillette Swede was bad as well. I like the horizontal Derby blades but I do get about 1 bad blade out of every 10 I try. They are so cheap and usually provide a smooth shave that I tolerate the rather high problem rate. I hope that my experience with the vertical blade was just a bad blade. I have not given up on the Verticals yet. Fortunately this is the only pack of Verticals I have.

eric.