New Schick Razors - Hydro 5 and Hydro 3

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
95%

Post by 95% »

Pauldog, the $5 buy-anything coupon doesn't require the purchase of cartridges, just the $8 razor, which comes with two. I don't know about the interchangeability of handles and heads.

Gillette's ProGlide is set to be released in June, so there's about to be one of those periodic battles of the titans. Over the last 55 years I've used all the commonly available offerings of both companies, and it always seemed that the Gillette product was a little more finished, a little smoother. I'll be on top of the ProGlide when it comes out, but for the present I can say that the Hydro 5 is a serious, well-designed piece of kit.
Porter
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

95% wrote:Pauldog, the $5 buy-anything coupon doesn't require the purchase of cartridges, just the $8 razor, which comes with two. I don't know about the interchangeability of handles and heads.

Gillette's ProGlide is set to be released in June, so there's about to be one of those periodic battles of the titans. Over the last 55 years I've used all the commonly available offerings of both companies, and it always seemed that the Gillette product was a little more finished, a little smoother. I'll be on top of the ProGlide when it comes out, but for the present I can say that the Hydro 5 is a serious, well-designed piece of kit.
And yet, the Schick products always worked the best :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

So I've tried the Hydro3 a few times now, with both the Hydro gel and traditional creams/soaps.

With the gel I can get a shave where I look presentable but I wouldn't dare try for BBS.

With traditional "software" I can get a DFS with a little work but the blade cartridge doesn't "track" well (doesn't remove all the lather in a consistant way), the "lubrication reservoir" leaves an unpleasant (for me) slimey feel, and the cartridge is a bit too big to maneuver around my nose.

Conclusion: Meh. :-B

--Mark
95%

Post by 95% »

Mark, your experience with the 3 echoes mine with the 5. I need to rinse the head after every stroke because the lather piles up on the cartridge. And the darned thing skips over the skin at times, leaving patches unshaved (at least with traditional preps.) I wonder if Schick even tested it with them.

I'm going to try again today with Proraso.
Porter
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I've got a couple of Schick/Eversharp Hydros; of course they're 30 sum odd years old and they still work great. Funny, those razors are probably older than most of the employees currently working at Schick.
I think the new ones are UGLY, but then to each his own.
Regards,
David
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'll echo the sentiments expressed here before by others: Schick should produce a modern-day single-blade injector. I'm sure David and I and a few other gents would buy one.

Then again, we might be the only ones. If Schick employees don't have a sense of their company history, why should anyone else? The multi-blade mythos runs deep.
Ron
95%

Post by 95% »

desertbadger wrote:I've got a couple of Schick/Eversharp Hydros; of course they're 30 sum odd years old and they still work great. Funny, those razors are probably older than most of the employees currently working at Schick.
I think the new ones are UGLY, but then to each his own.
I could deal with the ugliness if they shaved better. In cartridge razors, the Fusion still rules. I say this after three frustrating shaves with the Hydro 5.
Porter
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I tried the Hydro 3 for the first time today. I learned very quickly that you just need to rinse the razor often because of all of the lubricating goop that comes out while you are shaving. As long as you rinse often you will be fine. I did not have any issues with parts of my face not getting shaven. My first shave with the Hydro 3 went much better than my first shave with a Fusion.

The slimey goop can have some advantages not yet mentioned. It makes blade buffing and shaving over the same area more than once a breeze. You could probably lather up once, and then do a second pass without adding more cream (at least for touch-ups).

Overall, I thought the goop was pretty cool, but unfortunately it is a cartridge razor and I don't think I could use it everyday, even with the goop.

- Mike
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

With these multi-blade razors, it's been decided for us that we all use canned crappy cream, and so lubricating gel built into the razor is the great new frontier, now that blades have reached their possible maximum number.
95%

Post by 95% »

Paul, the amount of gel released is over the top. The cartridge literally dumps goo onto the face. Maybe the average guy will like it, but not many at SMF will, even those who are charitably disposed towards multiblade razors.
Porter
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I don't think I could picture many "average" guys liking the amount of goop released on their faces. I am not sure if it lessens after the first shave or two? The thing that I think is cool is that this is very different and adds something new to the shave experience. I cannot picture Gillette's new razor really adding something new to the shave experience. Maybe I am wrong (if I am, I'll probably try the new Gillette too). I have never understood the lubricating strip on cartridges because I never have felt anything. The Hydro's I can definitely feel though! Unfortunately, I don't think it will make a triple-bladed cartridge usable for me on a daily basis. After the $5 rebate, I spent $4 to try it out, and it was worth a try.
95%

Post by 95% »

Mike, I didn't notice any reduction in the quantity of gel on my third shave. It only stands to reason, however, that eventually the cartridge will be depleted of gel.

The Feb. 12 press release on the Gillette ProGlide says it will feature "an Enhanced Lubrastrip™, 25% larger than before, infused with mineral oil and lubricating polymers." As a long-time Fusion shaver, that sounds ominous to me, but hopefully it won't squeeze the stuff out onto the face like the Hydro.
Porter
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Dudes, you all back to cartridges? WTF, last few days nothing here but this Schick. :roll:
Jarmo
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I switch back-and-forth between DE and the Trac II blades. When I am in a rush in the mornings, I don't get to enjoy my shave, so I would rather just shave with the Trac II. I was considering getting a Slant for a 1-pass quick shave, but I think Gordon recommended against that, and also "Slant" and "in a rush" sound like a troublesome mix!
drumana

Post by drumana »

After going to a DE razor w/ blades I'm afraid there is no going back to cartridge razors for me. Noooooo Thanks. Those things look god awful to me regardless of how they shave.
-Andrew-
95%

Post by 95% »

Suit yourself, Andrew. Me, I'll take the shave over the looks of the razor. I wish you could see the shave I got four hours ago with Valobra and my Fusion. If I were an actor, I could go before the cameras without a bit of makeup.
Porter
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

On the Hydro, does the lubrication block slowly dissolve, or does the stuff ooze out of tiny patented pores?
95%

Post by 95% »

The teeth on the lubrication block are impregnated with the gel, which is released as the razor is dragged across the face. On my 4th shave today with the Hydro, the slimy stuff was still plentiful.
Porter
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I have never noticed any lubricating gel from any previous cartridge razor. The Hydro is noticeable and plenitful (whether you like it or not!). Not sure how long the lubricating gel lasts for the Hydro though...
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Well, after reading about this contraption, and the coupon at Walgreen's, I went out and bought a 3-blade model. I've shaved with it the past three days. The first day was so-so -- not a great shave, but it was the weekend and I figured it was OK. The second day was pretty darn good; this morning was very good.

Some observations: The lubricating stuff is weird, but it makes the shave very smooth. I think it's virtually impossible to cut yourself with this thing. In fact, you need to apply quite a bit of pressure to get a good shave. Even with pressure, no cuts. As others have mentioned, the blades get clogged up easily, so rinsing often is essential. You can't "feel" the blade. Those of you that shave with a DE will know what I mean -- when shaving with a DE, you are always aware of the blade, the angle, etc. A big part of that is the feel of the blade as it moves across the skin. With this Hydro, you can barely feel any blade at all -- even more so than with the Fusion.

My normal kit includes a Merkur 38C (lately), a Simpson brush, and a good cream, usually Trumper. This won't change. However, the Hydro offers a good alternative if you're in a hurry or if you're traveling with carry-on luggage.

- Greenhouse.