Candidus blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
function

Candidus blades

Post by function »

I came across a box of 100 of these(10 boxes of 10), I'd have to guess NOS as the packaging looked no later than 1960s. Wording on the package is "hand stropped" and "made in Germany" and not much else.

Are they worth picking up and trying, or worth walking on by every time I see them? They are not particularly expensive, but far from cheap, and must buy whole box.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Well, if it's not possible to find out if they're made of stainless steel or not, then I wouldn't buy them. Non-stainless blades from that long ago would have a very strong chance of being rusted on the edges, and therefore rough and ragged, even if they still visually looked all right.
function

Post by function »

Hmm, something in my head tells me they are stainless, but I will look to verify next time I see them. They are in a case in an antique shop next to an overpriced rolls razor. I may see if there is more detail on the bottom of the case.
Nick

Bob

Post by Bob »

If they're stainless, Nick, I'd give them a go. Last year, I used a package of stainless steel Gillettes from the Sixties, and got excellent results.

Have you found a good antiques source for shaving gear? I recall seeing some out in Blawnox, but not much of a selection.
--Bob--
function

Post by function »

Bob wrote:If they're stainless, Nick, I'd give them a go. Last year, I used a package of stainless steel Gillettes from the Sixties, and got excellent results.

Have you found a good antiques source for shaving gear? I recall seeing some out in Blawnox, but not much of a selection.
Hey Bob -
My best luck has been along the Ohio River, found my Aristocrat in Sewickley, but that store doesn't plan to get any more anytime soon. I found a NIB Fatboy as well as 3 Slims, a Micromatic and a green spotted Aristocrat at the Ohio River Antique mall on 65. I think that location and the guy in the Strip 27th @ Penn will be the best sources, haven't tried Blawnox yet.

I also picked up a few NEWs with busted handles at the store with the Candidus blades, it's on Railroad in Verona. One of the vendors said he'd bring a few razors in but hasn't yet.

Another antique dealer told me to try the Rogers Ohio flea market, not sure if I want to make that far a drive as I live in the City close to Greentree. I may try Trader Jacks again on a day it isn't raining.

Do you happen to be from Lawrenceville? The guy in the Strip mentioned a collector in Lawrenceville frequently cleaning him out.
Nick

function

Post by function »

Oh yeah, Crown on 5th across from the new arena should still have a bunch of razors, a nice khaki set and a few others in the wrong box, I got my single rings there for $5 ea, both cleaned up well.
Nick

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I don't 'know' of course, as I've never heard of them. But that business about being "hand stropped" kind of suggests to me that they are likely carbon steel, not stainless. And if so, give them a wide berth ( unless you're a collector ) because, as has been pointed out, carbon steel blades that old are NOT to be fooled around with.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Jägerlied

Jäger, was jagst du die Häselein?
Häselein jag' ich, das muß so sein.
Jäger, was steht dir im Auge dein?
Tränen wohl sind es, das muß so sein.

Jäger, was hast du im Herzelein?
Liebe und Leiden, das muß so sein.
Jäger, wann holst du dein Liebchen heim?
Nimmer, ach nimmer, das muß so sein.

...just a little poem... by Karl Candidus. I knew I remembered the name Candidus from somewhere, and then dredged up from the depths of my fuzzy little brain that (for me) the name Brahms belonged beside it.
So I went to recmusic.org/lieder and looked up what songs there might be by the two of them, and brought back this.

See - we're not just a bunch of well-shaven louts after all. :)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks for the leads, Nick. I'll be sure to check them out. I'm not the fellow from Lawrenceville, by the way. My interest is purely for my own account, not to sell to others. Frankly, I'm not in acquisition mode anyway. I have a few razors I've never even put to my face, which is a pity.
--Bob--