Parker DE Razors and Merkur Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
shavedhead

Parker DE Razors and Merkur Razors

Post by shavedhead »

I am in the mood for a new DE razor but I do not see a big difference between Merkur and Parker but the price. Any opinion on each and your preference? Thx
Have a wonderful shaving day
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

What razor(s) do you presently own? Is this mood merely AD whim or need?
michiganlover

Re: Parker DE Razors and Merkur Razors

Post by michiganlover »

shavedhead wrote:I am in the mood for a new DE razor but I do not see a big difference between Merkur and Parker but the price. Any opinion on each and your preference? Thx
Parker continues to have ongoing issues with quality control. Many reports of the razors being absolute garbage.

The difference between the two brands is a few dollars at best.

Buy the Merkur. :P
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Better yet, get an Edwin Jagger with the Muhle head.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree with Chris.

After 3 years with a Gillette Tech, I was looking for something that shaved a bit closer without added harshness. The Edwin Jagger has become my razor of choice, as it is smooth and it gives a close shave.

- Murray
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I agree with the statements about the Muhle head on a razor.

I was a Merkur user for some time using the HD almost daily. Once I purchased the Muhle R89 I have yet to take out any other razor. I gifted a few away to some friends to test out, and contemplating on selling the rest.

An EJ or Muhle will almost certainly crave a RAD.
--Greg
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Rambler wrote:An EJ or Muhle will almost certainly crave a RAD.
... or satisfy a craving, or cure your RAD, or ... do something anyway. :)

If you already have several good razors and want to try something different, I guess anything might be good enough. But on the other hand, if you get something that disappoints you, then you might wish you hadn't bothered.

Fellows: Don't forget that the OP has a razor that was crafted for him out of a steel file. Maybe he wants to try every possible razor before he dies - plus some impossible ones. :lol:
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

notthesharpest wrote:
Rambler wrote:An EJ or Muhle will almost certainly crave a RAD.
... or satisfy a craving, or cure your RAD, or ... do something anyway. :)
It sounded up rather contradictory didn't 'eat'.....purchase one of these razors and you'll develop a hunger for better razors .....thanks for the correction! :lol:
--Greg
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Better yet, get an Edwin Jagger with the Muhle head.
Ditto on this. I have the EJ89L and the Muhle R89. Both are great in fit and finish and give great shaves. You simply cannot go wrong with these. Better yet, get both!!!! \:D/ \:D/

Ed
dcrosso

Purchasing Parker razors?

Post by dcrosso »

Over the past year or so I have been following reviews and comments about Parker razors. Some good and some bad, mainly bad about quality of construction and poor fit and finish. I guess they shave alright, but are a little aggressive. I have to say I have never used or handled any Parker razors so I can't comment much about their performance.

I think most of the folks here and newcomers buy them because they seem to be less expensive then Merkurs or Edwin Jaggers or Muhle razors. The Weishi razors are a great starter razor, but work for some and not for others. I started with one and liked it well enough to give my nephew and brother in law one with a starter kit of brush, soaps and blades.

During my process of searching for a razor that really worked superbly for me I discovered the Merkur 23C razor. I purchased one and got such a great shave it is in my permanent rotation. The fit and finish are very good typically like my 34C. The performance is there.

While looking for aftershaves I found a supplier that has the 23C for the best price I have found. Atlanta Barber Supply carries the 23C and sells them for $21.95. These have the new Merkur head on them, the same one that is on my 34C. I purchased two of them along with six bottles of Pinaud (Clubman and Virgin Bay Rum), Stephens, Master and Lustray aftershaves. They also carry many other shaving products.

Atlanta has a flat shipping fee of $7.95 or ships free if you order $60 or more in product from them.

If I was just starting out again I would buy the 23C. You probably would not need another razor. I would not waste your money buying a Parker when you could have a Merkur 23C for less money. I know it is a three piece razor, but in my mind it works well.
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

Gentlemen I thank you all for your opinions and will take your advice to heart. Thx for your help

:twisted:
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

KAV wrote:What razor(s) do you presently own? Is this mood merely AD whim or need?
Merkur Vision and a Feather Razor
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

The EJ is the way to go
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
zliv

Post by zliv »

Honestly, I'd never buy a Parker after all the bad things I've heard about their quality.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

An EJ Chatsworth with it's longer handle would feel a bit closer to your Merkur Vision.
Not only beautifully made but visually a piece of timeless art.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.