Favorite DE razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
AceHarddrive

Favorite DE razors?

Post by AceHarddrive »

For the DE users, what's y'all's favorite DE razor/blades?

~Tim :wink:
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Tim,

When I am not using the str8 (which has been about 3 weeks now) I use my 35 year old Gillette adjustable and I have been using the 'no name' blades from Israel I purchased on ebay. I find these blades to be as good as any I have tried... including Merkur. I have not tried the Feather DE blades yet.

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
tigert

Post by tigert »

I have a vintage gilette adjustable and merkur vision and I used to have a merkur futur. Of these the vision is my favorite, I think the futur can give just as good a shave, but I like the feel and weight of the larger vision. Both the merkur DE get much much closer than my vintage gilette, in fact the vision on its lowest setting is closer than the gillette all the way open, but this could be because my gillette is misaligned or something I am not sure. I use the merkur blades also.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

My vote goes to my dear Merkur Progress adjustable.

Vince
:::Vince:::
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Do ya think a newbie to the DE would be wise to learn on a non-adjustable?

tigert

Post by tigert »

AceHarddrive wrote:Do ya think a newbie to the DE would be wise to learn on a non-adjustable?

I hear alot of people suggest this, but personally I learned on an adjustable and had no problems. Albeit I did learn on a gilette adjustable, which is more forgiving than the merkurs since the blade angles aren't as aggressive.

The main thing is just take your time, and don't get cocky and try to go fast after you get one or two good shaves out of it, thats how you cut yourself (or how i did, anyways :wink: )

-Tyler
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

My vote goes for the Merku Futur with the Merkur Platinum blades. I'm interested in trying a Feather DE with Feather blades.
Randy
razor_boy
King Of Hard Soaps

Post by razor_boy »

I like the Merkur Progress and I think it is a very good razor for someone starting out.

Paul.
A Peach looks good with lots of fuzz but man's no peach and never was. ~ Burma Shave
luigi

Post by luigi »

I also like the Merkur Progress best, but the Merkur Slant head also gives a great shave for a non-adjustable. I have only had experience with the Merkur platinum blades, so I can't offer much advice on that. :cry:
Luigi shaves with a DE, but would shave more with his Str8s if he had the time.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i love my vision and i agree, the weight of it really helps. i am using merkur blades but this week, i am getting 5 feathers to try. it will either be feather or merkur blades for me

sam
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Count me as another vote for the Progress. Wonderful DE.

--Mark
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

I have a Gillette DE adjustable. It has the gold finish and dates to the 4th quarter of 1961. I think it is pretty cool to recycle these old razors and give them a new life. Having said that I REALLY want a Progress! Help convince me that the Progress is better than the Gillette so I can add yet another product to my order with Charles!