The return of the rhodium plated toggle - Part Deux

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

brothers wrote:That is a very nice looking razor.

All the spontaneous discussion about a vendor getting banned from SMF kind of makes me dizzy. Even though I am literally checking around on SMF every day, I seem to totally miss any excitement that goes on.
I'm in the same boat...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

Looks very sweet. I'm a function over fashion, so I use all my razors and none are really "collectable" so have no problem with replating that some do.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The rhodium plating is just stunning. I have a couple of Aristocrat #22s (open-comb) that were plated with silver, of all things: Tarnish City. Really, an inert metal is really required. I was told that Gillette quickly learned their lesson, hence the switch to rhodium.

I think I'll send with them a Fat Boy, a Hoffritz Slant Bar, and a Rocket. I'm not a serious collector and I'm willing to drive up the value of the unplated originals. :)

The Rocket might be aluminum---if so, no plating. I got a price of $65 each. Price may vary with the metal.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Question about durability....I know the gold plated razors were lacquer coated as gold is soft and would wear away with regular use.....are rhodium plate razors lacquered? I know that some rhodium wears off fast, others last longer.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

razorburned wrote:Question about durability....I know the gold plated razors were lacquer coated as gold is soft and would wear away with regular use.....are rhodium plate razors lacquered? I know that some rhodium wears off fast, others last longer.
I don't think mine is lacquered. I've never had trouble with the wearing off of plating on my vintage rhodium plated razors.

That's not to say you couldn't ask your plater to lacquer it...but I don't know that it's necessary as it may be with Gold or Silver (silver due to tarnish).
~Scott
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Rhodium is pretty hard: a Mohs hardness of 6.0 vs. gold at 2.5. (Source is Wikipedia, so if you don't trust anything you read in Wikipedia, you'll have to look elsewhere.)