Derby DE Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Derby DE Razor

Post by Pauldog »

Did someone already mention the Derby TTO razor? I hadn't seen it before. It's made in China, so I'm a little reluctant to be the first among us to plunk down my $14.

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Derby_R ... reams.html
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

you never know from pictures...but it does look nice ,,well design wise anyway

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Does that head look very very flat across the top, or is it just the shading playing tricks on me?
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

It may just be the angle. The drawing on the side of the box doesn't look too flat to me (if you can trust it).
The Groom Room

Post by The Groom Room »

These razors are well designed despite their cost. The plating is nice, and they have a nice heft to them. The low-profile head does make it easier to shave under the nose, and the slightly longer handle feels nice. The handle itself is a bit slippery though, especially if you are used to a knurled handle.

The scalloped edges on the silo doors are more for asthetics than function, but do not hinder this razor's great shave. This is the razor I sell to my clients who are starting out with DE shaving. They seem to shave just a bit more agressively than say Gillette SS's, or the Weishi TTO, but a smooth shave none the less.

IMHO they are worth the $14.00 and then some. The plastic travel case is a nice addition. Shave Factory, in China, are the manufacturers. I've had great success shaving with this razor.
- Troy

"Look better, feel better... THINK BETTER."
The Groom Room
www.TheGroom-Room.com
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

This razor is fairly well reviewed. Look for reviews under "The Shaving Factory/ Ming Shi" razor.

I have owned two of them, and thought they were a well built entry level razor. Not as mild as the Weishi, and has a decent amount of weight behind it.

I briefly owned a Weishi, which in addition to rattling when locked, was also so mild that I found it to be useless.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'd heard of Ming Shi before.

So would you say the Ming Shi razors are generally better than Weishi razors?

It looks like this is the same razor, from what I think is Derby's online sales outlet:
http://www.shavingfactory.com/product_p ... 0razor.htm

I wonder what the price is in Turkey...

Not too many years ago, Phin was close to getting a Chinese company lined up to make injector razors, but then someone else came out with a Chinese injector that wasn't very good, and which went away pretty quickly. Maybe the trick is to get a Chinese company with a good reputation to make injectors, unless a company like Merkur or Muhle is already considering it. What's ironic is that Schick is now making very good injector blades in China.
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

Pauldog wrote: So would you say the Ming Shi razors are generally better than Weishi razors?

It looks like this is the same razor, from what I think is Derby's online sales outlet:

I wonder what the price is in Turkey
In general, yes, I feel the Ming Shi is a better choice than the Weishi. The Weishi to me felt, and looked cheap. The fact that it rattled when closed further re-enforced the idea that this was a cheaply made razor.

When I shaved with it, and found it removed practically no hair on the first pass, I quickly sold it, as it was way too mild to be of any use to me; and at that point I frequently shaved with a Ball End Tech, so I had lots of experience with mild razors.

I have owned two Ming Shi's.

One was a smooth shaver, and nicely built. The other was a rough shaver for reasons I couldn't pinpoint. So like a lot of cheaply made items, quality control seems to be a little lacking.

~John~
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

river1

Post by river1 »

Hi I am new to SMF and see some familiar names from other sites. :D
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Those familar names on other sites are just evil twins...

Welcome to SMF!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
river1

Post by river1 »

michiganlover wrote:
Pauldog wrote: So would you say the Ming Shi razors are generally better than Weishi razors?

I wonder what the price is in Turkey
In general, yes, I feel the Ming Shi is a better choice than the Weishi. The Weishi to me felt, and looked cheap. The fact that it rattled when closed further re-enforced the idea that this was a cheaply made razor.

When I shaved with it, and found it removed practically no hair on the first pass, I quickly sold it, as it was way too mild to be of any use to me; and at that point I frequently shaved with a Ball End Tech, so I had lots of experience with mild razors.

I have owned two Ming Shi's.

One was a smooth shaver, and nicely built. The other was a rough shaver for reasons I couldn't pinpoint. So like a lot of cheaply made items, quality control seems to be a little lacking.

~John~
Hi John
Do you shave with the Minh Shi's now; the $15 Derby with the blade offer looks like a great deal. Doug
river1

Post by river1 »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Those familar names on other sites are just evil twins...

Welcome to SMF!
Thank you and I am still trying to find my way around; this is a very well done site.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi river, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

What I want to know is -

Is there a "river2"? Or an even higher-numbered river?
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

river1 wrote: Hi John
Do you shave with the Minh Shi's now; the $15 Derby with the blade offer looks like a great deal. Doug
I parted ways with both Ming Shi's, when I made an attempt to whittle my razor collection down to just my favorites: I didn't do too bad in the endeavor, the collection currently is:

-4 DE Razors (Tech, Super Adjustable, Feather Portable, Muhle R89)
-3 Schick Injectors (Type E, Type I Hydromagic, Type L)
-2 Gems (G-Bar, and 1912)
-1 metal handled Atra
-5/8 Boker King Cutter
-6/8 Dovo Special
-Parker Shavette
-Feather Artist Club RG

A small collection of 14 razors. :D
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »