Glue Spots

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Blue As A Jewel

Glue Spots

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Not that I'm going to do this... but if I were... does anyone have a [safe] way of removing the #$%^! glue spots off a blade?

...remember, this is all highly theoretical and contemplative...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I would use a Q-Tip dipped in "Goo Gone" to rub the glue off.

Hope that helps.

Chris
vegaskid74

Post by vegaskid74 »

I don't bother, but I have heard of many others using the previous blade to scrape the glue off. That scares me a bit, so I think a small flat-head screwdriver would work just as well (just lay the blade on a flat, firm surface, push down in the center with your thumb, then scrape toward the side edge, not the cutting edge, of the blade. Should work. Solvents might work as well, but I would be afraid of damaging the coatings.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I use a lighter and burn the glue off.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

no, no , nooo

leave the glue spots alone..

first way aist the time??

next thing..no matter how you go about removing the glue,,in some way
you will affect the coating of the blade. and reduce the blade life

i always install a blade with the glue facing down...and it can acutally help seat the blade

the glue is light an doesnt have any affect.. i think its purpose is to keep the paper wrapper on the blade

live with it..

marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Besides, Gypsies can look at the patterns after use and foretell your future.
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

I scrape it off with the old razor blade, really wish they wouldn't get the spots so close to the edge...
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I leave the glue right where it is as part of the richness of the shaving experience. Plus I am too lazy to do anything that is not going to affect my shave in a good way. I don't shave with the glue so it gets but passing attention.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Depending on the kind of glue, a hot water rinse may remove enough to satisfy you if you're not picky.

But if you weren't picky then you wouldn't have asked, I guess... :)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The glue or wax dots on P&G blades are altogether incompatible with my shaving and razor/blade care practices. If I had to leave them on, I simply wouldn't use the blades. As it is, I clean them off with a Q-tip and acetone or lighter fluid. I haven't found any indication of PTFE coating being compromised.

My favorite blades are the Treet Dura Sharps in carbon steel with PTFE coating, and aside from their outstandeing performance they are not corrupted with the vexing little sticky dots.

- Murray
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

QTip and rubbing alcohol. A couple of passes will remove it. A bit of a pain but...
Regards,
Al
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

]I just grin and bear it. And most of my favored blades don't have any glue. A fact for which I am grateful, to be sure. But in any event, I ignore what little glue I may find. Some brands, I hear, are "dripping" with globs of the stuff. For my part, I suppose I'd use a different brand.

It's funny though. How much money would mfrs save in this economy by simply omitting this practice? It's not as if they'd, perish the very thought, lower their prices, right?
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

Usually I just leave it, it doesn't affect my shave in any way, so why bother? I guess you could us a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol if it bothered you, or you could use a Treet Black Beauty or Dura-Sharp which has no glue.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Buy blades that don't have glue spots.

That is, if the glue spots bother you.

that's what I do. Kai blades come packaged without any glue spots. There are others, I'm sure. I'm told Souplex, Timor, Bolzano, and Bic are also glue-spot free.

I use Kais. Not just because there's no glue spot, but that was certainly one of the things I took into account.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I once got anasty cut from a 7 O'clock blade in my Fusion because it stuck to the cap when I was changing blades. Got the advice to use a towel for that. Now I just try to remember.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pete, Did you mean to write, "...my Futur..."?
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

On the "Gillette7 O'CLOCK SharpEdge" (yellows) and the "Super Iridium" blades those four dots are Wax. I scrape them off with a single edge razor blade I keep on a shelf in my bathroom because THEY ANNOY ME!
Regards,
Andy
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

you guys are kidding, right?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Out of curiosity why remove them? I never really paid attention, I see them on some blades but not others but don't seem to affect the shave in any razors I use (mainly a 40's SS these days). I never even thought about those spots, how do they affect your shave?
Rob
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

gil3591 wrote:you guys are kidding, right?
Nope. Dead serious.

Of course, the wax dots don't affect the shave, but they mess up the razor something terrible. I rinse my razor and blade off after each use, then put them back together sparkling clean. :D

With those wax spots, I have to peel the blade out of the razor, clean the razor with a toothbrush and soap, reassemble it all, then do the same thing all over again the next time, and the next time, and the next time.

It's less aggravation to clean the dots off at the start, as a preventive measure. I have 500 Super Iridium blades, but I don't use them very often largely for this reason.

- Murray