Dry box for blade storage.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Short Round

Dry box for blade storage.

Post by Short Round »

I was reading online about guys recommending you store your blades so that they're not exposed to moisture which is nearly unavoidable in the bath room/shaving den. I'm not sure if they only intended the warning for the older vintage blades that may lack coatings and may be of carbon steel.

Well for less than $10 I picked up a sportsman's clear polycarbonate dry box at the local Gander Mountain Sporting goods store. They're intended for kayakers and canoeists and are in that part of the store.

It's small 5.5"long, 4"wide, 2.75"tall and has two cam over closures and a gasketed lid. I put my meager blade stash inside and now realize I should have 3x as many blades. If I get carried away there are always the old USGI ammo cans.

This is probably overkill but It'll keep them quite dry. If I remember I can toss in a few of those little moisture absorbing packets that come with new electronics.

Oh well, that's where my shaving thoughts have been this week.
Tom
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Do you mean Otter Boxes? These were inspired by a military issue box that carried individual medical kits; battledressing, morphine styret etc on web harness.
They are nice boxes, but overkill.I
I just rediscovered a cigar box with the smell of tobacco and wood. It is just right for my razor,blades,puck,alum,brush and aftershave.
I may install some compartment dividers for travel, glue a mirror inside the lid.
Now I just need a new place for my handkerchiefs.
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

I'm not sure I remember what exactly the otter boxes looked like.

These are a clear with greenish tint polycarbonate case. They close very similar to the military boxes. Not as robust as my Storm gun cases though. Then again I don't plan on parachuting into enemy territory for a close shave! That's for younger and probably much braver men than I!
Tom
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

In WW2 a australian squadron flew a nearly forgotten american dive bomber in the south pacific. They took razorblades and wedged them into empty beer bottles to throw at the enemy below. The resulting scream was not unlike the sirens on german Stukas and struck fear in the IJA.
Young men do crazy things so that old men can putter about doing crazy things. We need to shoot the other men, once and for all who make this necesary.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, Well, all my vintage blades are in their original packaging, so they're fine ( and they're stored in a shoe box in the bedroom closet anyway. So, the only exposed blades in my bathroom are a couple of currently being used packs in the medicine chest. But, hey....overkill's fine if it contributes to your peace of mind ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

My blade stash is in my closet in an open Tupperware container, in their sealed wrappers - if I have an open box, I'll usually just toss it into my medicine cabinet or if I have a number of packs going(I know, hard to believe), I put them into a zip zandwich bag...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tom, I don't store my blades in the bathroom, either.

In your case, I wouldn't open and close an air-tight case in a humid bathroom, either. :D

- Murray
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Two weeks ago I purchased one of these for my blades, I store it in my bedroom closet. Works great..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-27- ... ductDetail
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I use the cartons that my pots of cream came in, especially Trumper's and T&H cartons. They are keeping the rest of my shaving stash company in a drawer in my bedside table.
Eric
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

OK thanks guys. OK, maybe I'm overdoing it. :oops: Well at least I got a nifty box to keep them safe in.

Marty, You must have several lifetimes worth of blades for a 27 quart container!

I have 2 or 3 open packs of blades in the medicine cabinet and the rest are in my dry box. I only have so much room in my shoebox of a place so I guess this works.
Tom
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Tom, I like to make sure I can never run out of my go to blades :wink:
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I never even thought of this even being an issue.
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

I don't keep any of my razors/blades in the bathroom :)