Derby Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Derby Blades

Post by Squire »

What's the latest on Derby blades? They still made in the same factory? Are they as good as the older versions?
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The 'vertical' vs 'horizontal' logos? I was gifted a pack of each from two members and used up both trying to appreciate this respected brand.
Squire, no disrespect to Alabama; remember I am a southerner too. The new packaging direction follows the quality, having 'gone south.'
:(
Last edited by KAV on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Squire,

Reading on any of the forums will quickly lead to a complete deadlock on the issue.

With your scope/pictures you are probably in a better position to physically check to see if there is any difference between the old horizontal or new vertical Derby's.

I believe them to be the same and this was more of a packaging change by Derby. I found the new vertical packages to be just a bit more flimsy and the blade wrapper to be just a little shoddier and ill fitting. I could not determine any other difference. Maybe Derby has started a new production line, began using less expensive packaging or possibly new equipment...but...who really knows?

No one to my knowledge has published or done a physical inspection of the two blades.
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's what I was thinking Gary, there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Guess I'll just have to get some of the new ones.
Regards,
Squire
stagger

Post by stagger »

I have somewhere around 85 or so of the new Derby blades. 2 shaves are about all I can get out of a blade :cry: Hopefully Santyclaus will bring me some Treet Dura Sharps, from which I usually get about 6 shaves, for Christmas. If so, I plan to PIF with my Derby stash.
Regards,
Mark -
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

FWIW, I wrote to the factory about the different styles of packaging, and they assured me that the blades are the same. Just a "freshening" of the look for the package.

As I said in the other thread, I find the blades to be unchanged, but (as you say) there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

You can read the company's e-mail response towards the end of this thread:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44194
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

BeatlesFan wrote:FWIW, I wrote to the factory about the different styles of packaging, and they assured me that the blades are the same. Just a "freshening" of the look for the package.

As I said in the other thread, I find the blades to be unchanged, but (as you say) there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

You can read the company's e-mail response towards the end of this thread:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44194
Thanks for the factory update - always nice to get a confirmation.

Now for sure we can put to bed the shaving forum rumor mill on Derby! The posting traffic reminded me of the way the Merkur Super Platinum blade was assassinated a few years ago.
Good shaving,

Gary
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Merkur Super Platinum blade was assassinated a few years ago

i must have missed that......thankfully to because most guys dont know their ass from their elbows when it comes to merkur

hahahaha just teasing

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

It is good to know that vertigo vs horizon blades are the same. They are quite my faves.

They are tugging if bad lather since they are not the sharpest. I wont get that sharp stubble too with them. So all in all they are good.

Just had yesterday a good shave with a "swede", but the stubble sharpness was almost as bad as with Feather.

Jarmo
Jarmo
Trainer7

And the Orange package?

Post by Trainer7 »

I have on order, a lot of the Derby Orange packaging (selling in lots of 250 blades on Amazon) and I wanted to try since I have had pretty good results with Derby.

Has anyone else tried these?

My order was shipped on August 25th via no frills free shipping and I guess they really mean NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, Not a drop of frills, shipping!

Joe.
--------------------
Joe.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Joe. Your post is the first I ever heard of an Orange Derby. I did locate them by googling "250 Derby Blades" and they came up on Amazon, and they appear to be selling out quickly, probably in part as a result of your post. $20 for 250 Derbys is obviously a good price. I hope they turn out to be as good as the blue pack blades. Please come back and post about your experiences with the Orange Pack Derbys, and maybe even take a photo of the back of the packing card so we can see where they are coming from, and the other manufacturing and distribution details. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
somebody

Post by somebody »

Can somebody send Squire a new, vertically branded Derby?
Araner

Post by Araner »

michiganlover

Re: And the Orange package?

Post by michiganlover »

Trainer7 wrote:I have on order, a lot of the Derby Orange packaging (selling in lots of 250 blades on Amazon) and I wanted to try since I have had pretty good results with Derby.

Has anyone else tried these?

My order was shipped on August 25th via no frills free shipping and I guess they really mean NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, Not a drop of frills, shipping!

Joe.
Joe:

I too purchased the 250 pack of the Orange Derby blades from Amazon (they came directly from Shaving Factory: Derby's official US vendor).

I have re-distributed all but 30 of the 250 to various members of Badger and Blade, so hopefully they spark more discussion soon.

I was one of the people who had really bad results with the Vertical Derby blades. I found them to provide horrid weeper/ nick filled shaves unless they were corked first.

So far I have worked through about 4 (at 3 shaves each) of the Orange Derby blades.

The first blade I used in a Muhle R89, with quite bad results. Lost of weepers/ nicks. YUCK!!

I then worked a few more blades through a Feather Portable, a Fat Handled Tech, and a Super Adjustable, and a Slim.

Results in all of these razors have been really good, the blade performs at the same level as the Derby blades I started out my wet shaving career with: a decent blade that is decently smooth, and decently sharp.

Maybe not the best blade around, but so far I have been getting fairly consistent, good quality shaves (except in the Muhle, which I need to go back, and retest with. Could have been a dud blade).
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

....(sigh)...and the saga continues... :roll:

:lol:
Good shaving,

Gary
changabang

Post by changabang »

Recently I ordered what I thought were 30 Horizontal Derbys from Amazon. What arrived were the verticals, however.

:cry:

But I can tell no discernable difference between the two. Not an outstanding shave, but comfortable enough.
James Nicks
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Are the vertical ones the same as the orange?
Regards,
Squire
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

Squire wrote:Are the vertical ones the same as the orange?
In my opinion, no they are not the same as the Orange.

The Orange is the newest production, perhaps aimed specifically for the North American Market.

The horizontal, and vertical Derby blades make quite a bit of mention of the various blade coatings on the packaging, and perhaps on the blade itself (it's been awhile since I have had a vertical/horizontal Derby).

The Orange blades make only mention of platinum, and the blade itself (once removed from it's wrapper) simply says "Derby Extra Super Stainless" on it.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't believe I've seen a box of Derby that had the writing sideways.
Regards,
Squire
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

Squire wrote:I don't believe I've seen a box of Derby that had the writing sideways.
Derby Horizontals:

Derby Verticals:

The newest Derby Orange Blades (Derby Orange Horizontals??)

~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra: