Exploring the Science of Shaving

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
phin

Exploring the Science of Shaving

Post by phin »

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the article phin. I've saved it for future reading pleasure!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

brothers wrote:Thanks for the article phin. I've saved it for future reading pleasure!
+1 on that! :)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Fun read, but my brain hurts now.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Shake Sharp Razor? Btw I liked the video site spike :)
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

There is even, for instance, a correct technical name for the science of shaving. They call it pogonotomy...

This is the Pogo I remember, crap I'm old :

Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I remember my confusion when I first saw the word "pogonip."
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I read this last night - its quite a cool little article, well written and surprisingly humourous - not the stodgy approach I expected from 1957...

Thanks for the link!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
themba

Post by themba »

Extremely curly or kinky hair usually grows flatter against the skin. Ordinarily the whisker-skin angle is between 30° and 59°
Boy, do I have this problem! It makes shaving difficult. That's why I use "paint scrapers" and straights. They have no trouble getting those flat whiskers. Great post, thanks!
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Sadly, this might have been the LAST scientific article written on shaving, leaving the average man with little else in the way of information for the last 53 years.

I mean, think of the improvements we've enjoyed in the last 53 years...we should have more information than this.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
zliv

Post by zliv »

Thank for this link. It was really interesting for me.
Blue As A Jewel

I followed the "10 Minutes to a Good Shave" this morning as my prep and received and incredibly smooth, comfortable shave - this with a Classic Cobra and Feather Pro blade that just finished its 19th shave this morning.

I rinsed with cold water between passes and as the article suggests as an alternative, rinsed my blade in hot water - did 4-passes in total.... Wowza!
- Ravi -

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

paperpundit wrote:Sadly, this might have been the LAST scientific article written on shaving, leaving the average man with little else in the way of information for the last 53 years.
Much that came after that has been about the science of marketing shaving goods, rather than about the goods. If we wanted to keep with the times, we'd set up an expensive subscription-only "son of SMF" forum called PMR [pimp my razor] or some similar obscene name.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I followed the "10 Minutes to a Good Shave" this morning as my prep and received and incredibly smooth, comfortable shave - this with a Classic Cobra and Feather Pro blade that just finished its 19th shave this morning.

I rinsed with cold water between passes and as the article suggests as an alternative, rinsed my blade in hot water - did 4-passes in total.... Wowza!
19 shaves! Never knew that was one of the benefits of the Cobra. I'd think laying in a supply of those blades in sufficient quantities to last through the shaving apocalypse would be mind-bogglingly expensive. One reason I haven't seriously (yet) considered getting a Cobra razor is that I couldn't use any of my SE or DE blades.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

brothers wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:I followed the "10 Minutes to a Good Shave" this morning as my prep and received and incredibly smooth, comfortable shave - this with a Classic Cobra and Feather Pro blade that just finished its 19th shave this morning.

19 shaves! Never knew that was one of the benefits of the Cobra. I'd think laying in a supply of those blades in sufficient quantities to last through the shaving apocalypse would be mind-bogglingly expensive. One reason I haven't seriously (yet) considered getting a Cobra razor is that I couldn't use any of my SE or DE blades.
Yes, stockpiling options of blades for the Cobra will likely be limited, but I'll enjoy the ride for a long as its there! ...When I decided to figure out how to use my Feather AC in earnest, I was surprised to discover that I could get 3, sometimes 4 weeks of shaves out a single blade. So I expected a similar longevity with the Cobra... This current blade will be voluntarily retired after shave 21...
- Ravi -