"Merkur Guys" and "Gillette Guys"

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

offshoot wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:The Collected Works of Joe Lerch
Miss his angle of view.
"Tell all the truth, but tell it slant"
-- Emily Dickinson
:wink:
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm a Muhle man. The R89 is a fantastic razor and since getting it many months ago I haven't used anything else. I also like my Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razor, which has a Muhle head, but I prefer the R89 for it's textured handle. The balance of the two are pretty much the same.

Before that, I used a Merkur HD and an HD Slant. I never got along with Gillette razors...
-Andrew-
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

When I began using DE's several years ago, 40's-type Gillette Superspeeds were all the rage, fostered in large part by Gordon's recommendation and broadcast across the web by Corey Greenburg. I continue to be an admirer of the Gillette TTO's. They are wonderful gadgets, with watch-like mechanisms of superb precision and quality. To this day, I continue to enjoy them.

My gold Merkur Progress is a favorite as well.

My ultimate shaver, though, is the iKon OC Deluxe, a stainless steel tribute to the Gillette NEW Deluxe. Guess I'm an iKon guy.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
John N.

Post by John N. »

In my small collection I have Gillettes, Merkurs, Gems...even a Cobra Classic and a Schick Injector. I very much enjoy using them all, and do not catagorize myself as being a Merkur, Schick, Gillette or Gem guy. I have found that I can get an enjoyable BBS/DFS shave with most any of them as long as I use the techniques required for the different types. Keeps me on my toes :) .
John N.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Does this answer your question:

Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Crazy_Nate

Post by Crazy_Nate »

After recently discovering the 12C + feather combination...I might be stuck with Merkur for a while. Maybe some day I'll see how a Gillette shaves, but until then...I'll be quite content. :)

The current combination is very gentle if you're careful not to over-shave. I've finally gotten rid of most of the razor bump problems on my neck. :D
Nate

Merkur Futur / 12C, Feather / 7 O'Clock Yellow / Derby
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nate, Yep, proper use of a DE will tend to take care of that problem.
Regards,
Gordon