Are Razor Blades allowed in cabin luggage?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
wannabelean

Are Razor Blades allowed in cabin luggage?

Post by wannabelean »

Anybody knows. Just when Im about to get into the wetshaving world I got this doubt. I cant be additionaly bring a bag and checking it in! and morever its costs $25 more!
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

That would be a "No".

Definitely not allowed. They are on the list of prohibited items. They will take them away.
Paul
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Always carry a pre-paid mailing box to the airport. If anything is prohibited you can post it back home.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Any item where you want to ask, "Is it allowed", the answer is no.
freimaurer

Post by freimaurer »

I have taken my safety razor with blades many times through security and have never been asked to pull them out.
Greg
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The TSA is a crapshoot. A UK tourist in L.A. was returning home with a G.I. Joe doll as gift for a young family member. THE PLASTIC 3" M1 Garand was confiscated as a weapon.
Congressional medal of Honor winner Joe Foss was travelling to give a talk. Two TSA agents decided the decoration was a ninja throwing star and were going to confiscate it.
Anecdotes tell us only the 'system' is a page from WAITING FOR GODOT.
Mail it ahead :wink:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

freimaurer wrote:I have taken my safety razor with blades many times through security and have never been asked to pull them out.
Pure luck. Good for you, but pure luck. Don't push it.
wannabelean

Post by wannabelean »

So does that mean all of you are being forced to check in luggage, pay $25 and go through the hassle of lugging an extra piece of baggage? This sucks coz I totally was looking forward to moving to the safety razor shaving method from my cartridge shaving.

What do you guys do then if you're the kind who has to fly for a day or two every week from coast to coast or coast to midwest?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

my son flys often and recently they took a tub of trumpers coconut oil cream from him..and its was a new tub to boot...he was very upset

and they didnt take his blades or razor.

i told him many time to travel with a tub of brushless,,,

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The rule of thumb is -- if in doubt pack it in checked luggage or find a way to do without while on your trip.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Last time I was on a 767 I sniggered when I saw the slot in the washroom with a little picture of a DE blade next to it. A sign of the passage of time in that DE blades are no longer mainstream, and even if they were they aren't allowed on aircraft any more, all of which makes me realise how much Air Canada needs to buy some new planes. After all, the 767 first entered service at the same time as the General Belgrano was sunk, and I was finishing my internship. Perhaps one day a desperate wetshaver will be visiting aircraft scrapyards and stealing the DE blades from those disposal slots and carefully re-honing them...

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

drmoss_ca wrote:Last time I was on a 767 I sniggered when I saw the slot in the washroom with a little picture of a DE blade next to it. A sign of the passage of time in that DE blades are no longer mainstream, and even if they were they aren't allowed on aircraft any more, all of which makes me realise how much Air Canada needs to buy some new planes. After all, the 767 first entered service at the same time as the General Belgrano was sunk, and I was finishing my internship. Perhaps one day a desperate wetshaver will be visiting aircraft scrapyards and stealing the DE blades from those disposal slots and carefully re-honing them...

Chris
Don't give anyone any ideas.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

wannabelean wrote:So does that mean all of you are being forced to check in luggage, pay $25 and go through the hassle of lugging an extra piece of baggage? This sucks coz I totally was looking forward to moving to the safety razor shaving method from my cartridge shaving.

What do you guys do then if you're the kind who has to fly for a day or two every week from coast to coast or coast to midwest?

I travel every week but to the same office. I also have enough miles that my checked bag is free.

That being said, I don't check a bag. Too much time wasted. Right now I pack a Bic Disposable and 2oz. of Cremo Creme. No need to pack a brush with this stuff. I tried the AOS Unscented without a brush and it did not work as well.

I have thought about checking a bag one time and leaving a DE, blades and soap in a toiletry kit in the office but, again, I don't want to check a bag. Alternatively, I could mail a package to myself in the office with all I need but I'm lazy.

Bic Disposable and a brushless cream of your choice for those day or two trips.
Paul
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

I must confess, I've done both. I guess I've been lucky, I always pack my razor without a blade in it and I pack a sealed box of Treet Black Beauty's in my shave kit, and I've never had a problem. Since I dispose of the blade after each use, the razor never has a blade in it when they have checked. I know I've been pushing my luck and I've been thinking about altering my carry-on shave gear, but so far so good.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

I was reading recently on this. Before the guidance from the TSA was vague -saying that Safety razors were allowed. However, they have recently clarified saying disposable and cartridge razors are allowed but DE razors with blades are not. It is now quite specific and the razor blades must be checked.
KAV

Post by KAV »

The last time I flew in a canadian passenger plane a 95 Winchester in .303 with Dominion mooseloads was in a quick access scabbard behind the pilot. Lovely plane, the De Havilland Beaver.
freimaurer

Post by freimaurer »

TSA has changed it. I recently flew in and out of Atlanta and Washington D.C. and neither of the security agents screening caught them. I think I will just buy them when I reach my destination.

I'm glad TSA is really paying attention to detail.
Greg
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

If not checking a bag, I, like the Bic Sensitive singe blade disposable.

I there is time for a brush and you like cream, C.O. Bigelow makes a travel size 1.7 oz. This it the same stuff as Proraso green. Of course hard soap will still go in a carry on bag too.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

I was wondering about this in June this year, so I sent a query regarding carrying DE and SE type of blades and razors to the TSA. This is the response I rcvd: (it seems that you can take them - at your own peril!)

15/06/2010

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.

Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items into the sterile area of the airport.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center
When life isn't looking too bright - polish the dull side!!!
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

RocketMan wrote: We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

TSA: Making commercial flight miserable using your tax dollars.
Ed