Gillette Slim Twist

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
rsp1202

Gillette Slim Twist

Post by rsp1202 »

I've noted with increasing interest some members use of the Gillette Slim Twist. Is this supposed to shave like a Super Speed, but with a different TTO mechanism and longer, flatter handle? The SS's I've had were good shavers but the handle felt a bit short, one reason I ended up switching to the Krona. I'm debating if one is worth tracking down; they don't come cheap.
Ron
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I know nothing about them, but I saw a NOS (beat up package) on ebay for $10, buy it now I think. It must be gone now, but they are around.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
RocketMan

Post by RocketMan »

The handles seem like a cheap plastic and for that reason haven't interested me. I picked one up at a flea market a couple of years ago and have yet to try it out. Not sure what the interest would be in it really.
When life isn't looking too bright - polish the dull side!!!
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Slim Twist was an English model. The US equivalent was the Knack, which was very similar, though not identical. A later similar US model was simply called "Double Edge," made in England, with a smaller twist knob.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I had one that I bought new....it was one of the 'Made in England' versions. It shaved okay, but relatively flimsy construction and the shave was not the equal of the older Superspeeds. If you want that shave, but with a longer handle, your best bet, IMO, is to get one of their long handled adjustables ( preferably one from the '60s or '70s ) and set it on '3'.
Regards,
Gordon
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I have one.

I think it has the flatest head of nearly any razor I own, much flatter than even my 70s superspeeds. As such, it is an easy, very mild shave.

So mild that in a few hours I can feel stubble again.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
giammi

Post by giammi »

I don't like them at all - they depress me. It is a razor that IMHO has no character, no beauty, no class, and is too mild.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
druphus

Post by druphus »

Ron, why don't you get a Gillette Long Handled Adjustable like the razor on the far left:
It shaves like a SS because it is, it has a nice long handle, and its all metal construction.
Regards,
Andy
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

giammi wrote:. . . has no character, no beauty, no class, and is too mild.
Giammi, that sounds like my ex's description of me.
druphus wrote:Ron, why don't you get a Gillette Long Handled Adjustable . . . It shaves like a SS because it is, it has a nice long handle, and its all metal construction.
Andy, I've had three of them (one gold-plated), all during my early stages of wetshaving. I'm the first to admit I didn't give them a fair shake, didn't know what I was doing. I am tempted to try one again.
Ron
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

I love my Slim Twist.