futur obsession

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

futur obsession

Post by gil3591 »

why am i obsessed with the merkur futur? for background: i have owned 3 futurs. yes, 3!! :roll: the first one when i just got started with de shaving. i thought it was too abusive and sold it. then as i got better at de shaving i thought i'd give it a try again. ! nope!! not to be. i sold that one after a week. then i got a gold one that i kept for 6 months. it was nice but i discovered that i got less irritation from a barber pole and have now pretty much figured out that a mergress will give a great shave with less irritation. by irritation i mean as little
as just noticing that aftershave burns a little more with the futur or it can mean that i get a few weepers that i won't get with the mergress. then,, if i want a break from the mergress and want a really stress free shave (but not as close) i go with the ej de89L.

so why is it that i can't get a futur out of my mind? why do i see a pic of one and my heart goes pitty pat? i know i won't like it better than my mergress. why can't i leave it alone and move on? maybe they just look too cool! :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gil,,i can in no way give you a answer as to why you want one..

i can tell you,,of all the razors i have tried and used ,,and for much longer a period of time than you spent with your razors..the futur is the razor of razors.. it is the ultimate shaving machine...

whether its set at the most mild setting or to a aggressive setting it still shines and gives the greatest of shaves..

it is amazing to look at, no doubt,,and its manly to hold,, its the only razor that shaves with zero pressure needed...

after spending time with a futur and learning to maneuver its huge head. you find you'll be able to use it in the hardest of places too.

plus the futur is blade friendly to all blades...it just doesn't care...

i can get the best of shaves from setting the razor from setting 2 up to
3 1/2,, i have a favorite setting of 2 3/4 and just forget that is adjustable..

and i feel the only other razor that can come close to the futur is the barberpole,, but the futur is the clear winner,,i think you know i have loved the ej products and the ikons they maybe better finished,,and just i bit nicer to hold and look at,, the shave is not better.. at least not to me..

hey, as time goes on, i am sure i will try others, as i have done in the past. but i know the futur is a part of me and my shaving life..as is the barberpole..

about weepers,,them come every now and then with any razor i use..
but the more i stay with my two goto's ,,,i seldom see weepers.

sometimes weeks can go by without any..

so for me,,two razors,,two brushes and two soaps and one brand of blade
gives me a consistent bbs shave on a daily basis..

marc
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

o yea,, and just for the record...i get gitty each time i see a vision!!

i know they have there problems..and don't shave as well as a futur..

I'm strong...I'm not getting one..

marc
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

maybe i need to quit fiddling with the adjustments and set the thing lower. with my adjustables i get closer shaves cause i set the adjustment up for my touch-ups following a 3 pass shave. maybe that's where i run into trouble
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

The Futur is one beautiful razor to look at. Very futuristic. I am trying my best to get down to just 3 razors, but if I was forced to get down to just one, it would be the Futur.

And Marc: who says the Vision does not shave as well as the Futur? I had a Vision for maybe 6 months, and I thought it shaved at least as well if not better than the Futur. I sold it because I did not like the preventative maintenance the Vision required. The Futur requires virtually no maintenance. But the Vision gave a darn good shave.

eric.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yea just find the setting and forget about it..

with futurs i find 2 is mild and hard to make a mistake with..

2 1/2 still mild and just becoming aggressive

3 its aggressive and livable,, 3 1/2 shaves so damn close...but so easy to get weepers or worse...

2 3/4 is my spot

this is may take on the setting with merkur blades..with other blades some i need to increase the setting here and there

marc
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

darn! i'm gonna buy another one. i like the chrome.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I've been curious about this razor for a few years and I just ordered a chrome Futur and a Kent BK8 from Shaving Shack for about $150 delivered (no VAT & a 10% discount) - although I may get dinged with duty - still a great deal, for two venerable pieces of equipment!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks for the head up ERIC so many times i have heard or read the vision is a real good shaver,,but the futur is better..

i handled one once,,i if i remember correctly it felt just a little lighter in weight...i just think it would be so cool to have both,,,i need both like i need a .................

haha

someday maybe

marc
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

alright, i just bought another one. chrome! :oops:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gil ,,you make me so proud...

a while back i think its two years already,, my oldest son want to start de shaving..he live 1000 miles from me..i sent him a barberpole, and a cheap badger brush and some blades and soap and a mug..

he loved it..and hasn't turned back once...last july he visited me and he used my futur...love at first site, he ordered one as soon as he got home.

and he used my emillion too. and got one for himself,,,

he already has a dirty bird scuttle...

just for the record,,he has tired so many blades,,and he only uses merkur
point is merkurs blades work for both of us

marc
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

gil3591 wrote:maybe i need to quit fiddling with the adjustments and set the thing lower. with my adjustables i get closer shaves cause i set the adjustment up for my touch-ups following a 3 pass shave. maybe that's where i run into trouble
That was certainly the best strategy for me with the Futur. Find a comfortable setting in the lower third of the dial and leave it there.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

glassmtn wrote:And Marc: who says the Vision does not shave as well as the Futur?
Me, for one. The Futur cut just as effectively but had a smoother action. (You know what they say.)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Futur vs. Vision. If event there was a case of YMMV. I’ve lately been comparing them back to back, and I for one prefer the Vision, only because it can be adjusted to a blade gap slightly below the Futur’s, where I prefer it.

I think the level of ability with a DE razor amongst our members has reached a level of connoisseurship where we’re really only discussing nuance. Both razors are capable of remarkable shaves.

Steve
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

SteveK wrote:Futur vs. Vision. If event there was a case of YMMV. I’ve lately been comparing them back to back, and I for one prefer the Vision, only because it can be adjusted to a blade gap slightly below the Futur’s, where I prefer it.
Between the two razors, this is most certainly the big point in favour of the Vision.
I think the level of ability with a DE razor amongst our members has reached a level of connoisseurship where we’re really only discussing nuance. Both razors are capable of remarkable shaves.
For sure. Both are fine razors.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

so my new (4th) futur arrived to day. loaded it with an iridium and set it at 2.5 with a final touch-up at 3. result: close shave, face feels a little raw and a few weepers. i can tell it shaved closer than my progress on 3.5-4, so i think i'll dial it back to 2.0.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hope you keep this one...

enjoy it..

marc
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

Gil: The Futur set on 1 gives a very good shave. I would dial it way down for a couple of weeks and then if you want more start gradually to bring it up. To me it sounds like the setting is too high.

eric.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

On some other razors, the lowest setting is over-cautious in hiding the blade, making for a difficult shave. The Futur at its lowest setting, on the other hand, is still a very serious razor, and not at all difficult to shave with.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i had a comfortable shave today set on 1.75. however i do have some stubble. my ej de89L taught me that mild is very nice indeed. i'm thinking that 2.0 may be the setting for me with iridiums. there is a world of difference between a 1.75 shave with a 2.5 touch up compared to a 2.5 shave with a 3.0 touch up.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer