Are "safety razors" safer than straights?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
AceHarddrive

Are "safety razors" safer than straights?

Post by AceHarddrive »

Also, given the choice, would you choose a DE or a straight-razor? I'm trying to make up my mind between the two. I have several straights and have some experience with them. I currently own no DE's and have no experience with them. However (like many people), my mother believes that straights are-in one word-DANGEROUS!! She has "mentioned" that she'd rather I use a so-called "safety-razor" than a straight. What's your opinion?

~Tim :roll:
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

I think what I'll be doing is shaving with a DE while learning to keep a straight sharp!

~Tim :roll:
kal

Post by kal »

It has been many many years since I used a DE. The thing that concerned me most while using them was the variation of blade sharpness . You start with an extremely sharp blade (sharper than any Str8) and it loses its sharpness slightly after every shave. So you do'nt really deal with the same blade two days in a row.
However with my Str8s, I ve learned over the years to keep them in a good consistent condition and I've learnt by heart the shaving characteristics of each. I honestly can't remember the last time I cut myself and to me shaving with a Str8 is not only safer than DE but also the Mach III and the sensor.
jhco50
Sixshooter

Post by jhco50 »

Given a choice I would choose a str8. I get much closer shaves and it is more relaxing. It is my 15 minutes and I relish all 15.