first time feather

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jpq5

first time feather

Post by jpq5 »

Its been a while since I've checked in, so here it is. Just finished shaving with a feather blade for the first time. I've been "proper" wet shaving for about a year and finally got up the courage to load up my barber pole 38c. I can see why these blade are so well liked. Only did two passes and got the same results compared to my usual three or four. Got a couple of cuts due to preexisting blemishes, so next time I'll slow it down a bit and use slightly less pressure. Overall it was a great shave and I will most likely be stocking up on these bad boys.

Happy shaving to all,
Jake.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

happy hloidays jake

yes the feathers offer a sharpness that all others cant compare too.

but before you take in stock of those blades, it would be a good idea to use them for a while.. so many guys find that useing feathers over the long haul doesnt work ...

i think they call it skin thinning or something like that..

also see how many shaves a blade gives you too,, many only get 2 or 3 shaves from a blade.. and thats another deal breaker

hope they work out for you
marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have said on a few occasions that the perfect match for my undated gold Tech is a feather -- just perfect - absolutely perfect.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Jake, I'd give my face at least eight hours before jumping into a large purchase of Feathers. My first shave with a Feather went well, very close,no weepers or nicks BUT ~ 12 hours later my face had gone pink like a case of windburn. As always, YMMV.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

jww wrote:I have said on a few occasions that the perfect match for my undated gold Tech is a feather -- just perfect - absolutely perfect.
Ditto, Wendell. The Feathers are sharp and the Tech is mild. I also have used them in a Blue Tip Super-Speed with good results. If you want a very close shave, Feather in a Tech!

Best,

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Used a "Feather" (gasp) in my Merkur Barberpole last night. Haven't used one in a while so I went real slow. Two passes and done, although my neck was a little tender/raw when finished. Lasted for only a short time and then I was good to go.

I'm going to use it for a while and see what happens. But I'm going to take my own advice: "It's not a race, it's my face". :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jake, I also suggest that you go through a least a full pack or two of the Feathers before considering buying in greater bulk. As Marc said, in the longer haul those blades do not agree with a number of shavers, including myself.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

They work well for a bunch of people in a slant bar razor. I've had good results there, too.

I don't remember if people have mentioned trying adjustable razors to see what setting would work. My guess would be that you'd use a somewhat lower setting than for most other blades.

Non-stainless blades are supposed to be sharper than stainless, but I wonder how the Feathers compare with non-stainless blades.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, There are exceptions, but for most of us who have issues with the Feather blades it is in ALL razors, not just some. At one time or another I've tried them in almost every razor I own, including a Slant and adjustables. It's just no go although that wasn't immediately apparent the first time I tried them. Regarding carbon steel blades, at least the old style of them, they did seem sharp but were harsh and pulled a good deal. Perhaps those current coated Treet blades are a little different, I don't know as I haven't tried them.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gordon, according to Squire the coated Dura Sharps have the same grind as the so-called "Black Beauties," which are a simple carbon steel blade. The Black Beauties are pretty sharp and reasonably smooth, but they don't last very long. The coating makes what is apparently the same blade smoother and much longer-lasting. The coated Dura Sharps are sharp and very smooth.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Still hold that opinion Murray, these are good blades.
Regards,
Squire
Julius_Rodman

Re: first time feather

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Feathers cause me to respect the blade and let it do the work, and not to try anything dumb or aggressive.

There is nothing like them.

But I still take a break from them for a week or so.

--------------

Kent