blade storage

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
function

blade storage

Post by function »

How do you gentlemen store your blades, specifically, do you leave them in the little plastic/paperboard packages they came in?

I ask this because I have begun hoarding, and at this point store all of my blades in one cigar box, which I keep a few packs of silica gel in as I keep the box in a bathroom cabinet.

The box is getting full with about 400 blades, but it occurred to me if I remove the blades from the plastic boxes, I could likely hold twice as many.

Can anybody give a good reason to not do this aside from potentially useless effort on my behalf?
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I store everything as received. No special treatment other than storing the supply in a closet outside of the humid environment of the shower area.
Ed
druphus

Post by druphus »

On the Wall :)
Regards,
Andy
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

speechless
Ed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

man that looks like a store not a bath room

i showed my wife, she said he must live alone ,,,he cant be married

wow
marc
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

haha i forget to make my post..

how do i store my blades? i just go over druphus's place a grap a pack haha

i keep them in there sealed packaging and i put them into a large manila shipping envolpe and it lives on a shelf next to dopp bag in the hall closet

marc
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

marsos52 wrote:man that looks like a store not a bath room

i showed my wife, she said he must live alone ,,,he cant be married

wow
marc
My exact thoughts Marc! Wow!

Regards,

Bill

Some B&M stores could take a hint from this display.
Don't think......shave.
druphus

Post by druphus »

marsos52 wrote:i showed my wife, she said he must live alone ,,,he cant be married
The bathroom in the Basement is MINE. My wife uses the bathroom on the main floor! :)
Regards,
Andy
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

A modern, stainless steel and coated blade leaves the factory as good as it will be. The paper cover and cardboard/plastic box provide mechanical protection against dulling,nicking or warping from getting tossed around.
If you think it wont happen; the common way to deliberately dull a knife for testing ease of sharpening is dragging it across burnt toast.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Andy,

My only suggestion would be to keep the blades out of the bathroom due to excessive humidity. I store my blades in old wood cigar boxes and a few antique tobacco tins.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. that ain't a bathroom, that's a Manroom!
Don't think......shave.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

And there is cosmolene I mentioned in a contemporary thread :twisted:
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

andy, where's the scuttle?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

KAV wrote: If you think it wont happen; the common way to deliberately dull a knife for testing ease of sharpening is dragging it across burnt toast.
Really? :shock:
Jim
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Rubbermaid storage box in the closet with all my other shaving stuff (except my razors) which are in a modified fishing lure box (also in the closet).

Andy,

Outstanding.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Mitsimonsta

Post by Mitsimonsta »

druphus wrote:On the Wall :)
Damn. That's awesome stuff.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

function wrote:The box is getting full with about 400 blades, but it occurred to me if I remove the blades from the plastic boxes, I could likely hold twice as many.

Can anybody give a good reason to not do this aside from potentially useless effort on my behalf?
Well I suspect this is a joke from your part? hehe :P

If removing the packages would they seem like more of a junk , maybe some corrosion current run through? Anyways the blade edges are thin and vulnerable.

I do like to remove my new Iridium blade from a double wrapped package to load my razor. It adds quality to the simple procedure.
Jarmo
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Andy,

How do you like the Shark blades? How do they compare to the Super Iridium blades?

By the way I keep mine in the original packaging and store them in the humidity of the bathroom. Haven't had any problems over the last 3 years doing that.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

druphus

now thats explains it,lets not tell my wife,,,let her think thats the main bathroom

i already told her your married haha

marc
druphus

Post by druphus »

ThePossum wrote:How do you like the Shark blades?
Bryce, these days I'm using the Super Iridiums most of the time; howerver, the Sharks are great blades especially considering I paid $12/100 shipped from Turkey. Squire gives them a 6.85 and I like them better than most (i.e. Astra, Persona, Treet, Derby, Merkur). I will admit I originally bought them because I liked the packaging, and its fun to give a pack to espiring DE users.
Regards,
Andy
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

My stash is kept in original packaging (all except one brand of vintage blades I hoard, as it is very difficult to find un-opened packs of those) in a plastic drawer unit in the bathroom closet.

I would NOT remove them from the paperboard/plastic/metal containers if at all possible. You would risk ruining the edge on several hundred blades, all at once, if you were to drop your box or knock it off the counter. Feel free to remove the paperboard/plastic/metal containers from any blister packs they may have come in, but otherwise leave the packages closed till you need a blade from it. You can always get another cigar box if you buy more blades
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic