Question About Lady Gillette

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Chaps

Question About Lady Gillette

Post by Chaps »

Ok...my wife wanted to use one of my DE's tonight to shave her legs. I had to, of course, show her how to do it properly and safely. I mean, what kind of husband would I be if I just handed her a SS and said "Good Luck" :lol:
Anyway, after a quick explanation and demonstration she took over and did a superb job using a '53 SS.

My question is about the Lady Gillette. What is the real difference between the men's SS and the "Lady"? From what I have seen on Ebay, it looks like the only difference may be that the handle is longer and it is blue. Are there any other differences? She really is interested in trying a DE on a regular basis. Of course, she is welcome to use any of my DE's but she may want her own.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Danny, Interesting. When she was very young my wife started shaving her legs with an old SS of her dads but as soon as disposibles came out that was it, and she never looked back. All the years we've been together I've shaved with a DE and she's never voiced the slightest interest in trying one again. I may be wrong but from what I remember of prior posts, the Lady Gillette seemed to have the same head as the standard SS of the same year. As you say, longer handle ( which is decidedly helpful for a gal shaving her legs ) and a more 'feminine' appearance.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Gordon is right. The same thing goes for the "Lady Schick" Injector. That's what my wife uses.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Lady Gillette comes in several colors. I've seen blue, pink, and champagne, all with the same star pattern.

I would think that an injector razor would work better for most women (but not ones with shorter handles), though certainly a long one-piece DE would be the likeliest among DE razors.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Thank you, men. I appreciate the information. I think for now, if she wants to try a DE again, I will just let her use the same '53 SS and see how she likes it. I checked the 'bay and the prices are anywhere from $35 to around $100 for a Lady Gillette. I dunno, this may have been a one time deal.
It's funny, though...last night when she saw me on the forum, she said "Now, don't go telling everybody I shaved my legs with your razor" (after I had already posted it :oops: ). I replied, "Ummmmm...well...it's like this." :lol:

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Those eBay prices sound pretty high to me. Have you checked final prices in completed auctions?

Another one-piece razor is the Schick "Krona," which is lighter and less expensive. It's a good razor, and should be similar in length to the Lady Gillette.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Pauldog wrote:Those eBay prices sound pretty high to me. Have you checked final prices in completed auctions?
I thought they were high also. The prices I saw were Buy It Now prices.

Danny
Danny

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Those high "buy it now" prices may never realize a sale.

I was surprised, though, when I checked completed auctions and found quite a few selling for high prices. I also found a couple for well under $20, including shipping.

In general, I think you'd probably get the Schick for less.

I almost forgot to suggest not just searching for "lady gillette." The following search string (without the quotation marks) may work best: "gil* razor* star*". The asterisk after the word makes eBay search for all words starting with those letters.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

oh boy...... next thing its lavender soaps and 2 band brushes, cause you know, it helps make the legs smoother. you are in deep trouble Mr Danny
hahahahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

my wife has a blue stars lady gillette... would not give it up for the world. LOVES it she does. has her favourite blades from my stash too... does not use brush and cream etc. it lives in the shower, never rusted (blades may get some rust tho). likes the kiss my face patchouli stuff.

I used it only once, it was not aggressive. I'd say its on par with a mid 50's SS.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
brothers

Post by brothers »

Every so often a Lady Gillette shows up on the Selling/Trading forums. You might consider a WTB post just in case.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: Question About Lady Gillette

Post by L. Martino »

Chaps wrote:
My question is about the Lady Gillette. What is the real difference between the men's SS and the "Lady"? From what I have seen on Ebay, it looks like the only difference may be that the handle is longer and it is blue. Are there any other differences? She really is interested in trying a DE on a regular basis. Of course, she is welcome to use any of my DE's but she may want her own.

Danny
Hi there,

Yeah, the longer handle's gonna be the main difference between the Lady Gillette and most other superspeeds. The balance wil be different also, but that doesn't matter much in this case.

My daughter had good luck with a long handle Gillette super adjustable and used it for a while. She stopped after trying the Lady Gillette, which she likes a lot more. Her favorite blade is a Crystal, also known as the fabled Israeli Personna blade.

I actually shaved with a Lady Gillette myself and it performed like most other superspeeds as far as how much bite and how it fit my face. Weird using the long handle, but that's to be expected in my case.

Martin

Oh, I do have a Lady Gillette in pretty good shape that you're welcome to borrow for a few weeks. Maybe that'll help your wife start the gentle slide down the rabbit hole. Heh, I can also toss in a few Crystals.

Let me know if that interests you at all,

Martin
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you run a search on ebay for "lady schick eversharp" there seem to be several listed at the present time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

Actually, $30 to $50 is about the going rate for a nice, clean Lady Gillette... $50 end if it's in original case, even higher if it's NOS... and this has been the going rate for about a year now - not just on eBay but also on the different forums. I've got all 4 colors (light blue, dark blue, pink and gold/champagne/yellow) they came in and actually used one of them for several months because I really like the long handle.
-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Yes, but there were also several that seemed decent, but sold for much less.