Re-lacquering Gold Razors?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
StraightRazorRookie

Re-lacquering Gold Razors?

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

Does anybody have pointers on re-lacquering gold plated razors (replated or original)?

E.g., brush? Airbrush? Other more exotic application? Type of lacquer?

Thanks!
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

I recently applied Rustins Metal Lacquer to a Gillette NEW, dismantled into the three parts. I cleaned the razor first with Autosol. After rinsing and drying I applied the lacquer with a fine brush. The razor looked very good after this but a tinge of patina (green copper salts?) returned after several weeks. I may try again but the remedy does not appear permanent. I use the razor frequently so cannot say if the appearance is preserved if not used...I would imagine it would be.
John
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

I have re-lacquered a couple (that I had ignorantly removed the lacquer by boiling during cleaning before I knew not to :oops: ) using a Rustolium rattle can. As long as you get the right distance from the razor you will get a nice even smooth shiny coat. After air drying for about 24 hours, pop into an oven set to warm (200 to 250 degrees) for about an hour to finish curing the paint... good to go.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
StraightRazorRookie

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to try that.

Next question - what would happen if you gold plated the razor and DIDN't lacquer it?
function

Post by function »

StraightRazorRookie wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to try that.

Next question - what would happen if you gold plated the razor and DIDN't lacquer it?
I think this has come up once or twice before. The thought has come up that a thicker gold plating than originally on the razor would hold up just fine. You mentioned having experience with watches, I imagine a plating thick enough to work on a watch would be good enough for a razor. I would imagine the daily rigors of shaving could be comparable to the daily movements of a wrist taking arm hair, sweat and body oils into account.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

My old pocket watch is gold filled. It has some kind of durable base metal with a sheet of gold layered on top and bottom. Gold plating would be much thinner. One of the great qualities of gold is that it never corrodes. even on the bottom of the ocean. Wherever you get it plated would be the expert though

Good luck

Joe
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Basically, if you are looking at OEM plating, Gillette used very thin gold plating, then lacquered over the top to protect the finish. Without the lacquer there, your whiskers would eventually rub off the plating. Remember, the plating was likely very near pure gold, which is quite soft.

If you are looking at a re-plate, the gold layer is likely thicker than OEM, but *could* still be effected by whiskers. However, you would be looking at potentially a much better adhesion of the gold to the nickel under plating than OEM as the plating process will have likely changed at least marginally in the past 50+ years.

The bottom line is this.... lacquer or no, the gold finish will not change the way the razor shaves. The lacquer will help protect the gold finish from mechanical abrasion caused by daily use, which *should* prolong the look of the razor, but it is not required.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
lordjohn

Post by lordjohn »

razorburned, how long-lasting is your procedure when the razor is used frequently...any info on this?

Thanks
John
StraightRazorRookie

lordjohn wrote:razorburned, how long-lasting is your procedure when the razor is used frequently...any info on this?

Thanks
That's my overall question as well.

I'm no expert, but I would think lacquer has got to be softer than gold. Therefore, I would think it would erode eventually. However, I can see where the original gold plating, done as part of a manufacturing process, would be extremely thin. Lacquer would be relatively thick in comparison, and even if it were eroding a minute amount with each shave, would offer protection for quite a while.

Too bad there are no old Gillette engineers here to offer insights...