Personna Red Pack or Crystal Israeli Personna

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mustang66

Personna Red Pack or Crystal Israeli Personna

Post by mustang66 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi All,

I am from Australia, and it is hard to get many of the blades locally. I was using the Derby blades, but I don't enjoy those or the Merkur blades. The feathers beat up my face too much.

The blades I was looking at locally were the Personna Red Pack and on another website I can get the Crystal Israeli personna. From memory some of you guys mentioned the ones in the blue and white wrappers were the way to go, is that correct?

I had a look at the website for the Crystal Israeli Personnas and it shows them to be in a blue and white wrapper. So I assume they are the blade people talk about?

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Blades are a YMMV. I've used both with no problems. Just have to give them a go and see if they work for you.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm

Both the Red Pack and Crystal are popular Derby-class blades.

The Crystal blades (with the blue pattern on the wrapper) are the one brand about which I have hardly ever read anything negative. Most don't consider either of these "top blades," but the Crystals seem to be the closest to universal compatibility.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Ditto what Murray said. FWIW, personally the Crystals work better for me.
Regards,
Gordon

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am

IMO, the Crystals are a shade better (just a little smoother) than the red Personnas, but either will work. I'm using a Crystal now in my Krona and I'm happy with it.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!

Zot!

Post by Zot! » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 am

I am voting Red Pack. For some reason they are smoother for me. I think both are made at the same factory but Red Packs get cheaper packaging. These don't cost much. Buy both and see which one works better for you.
Ron

Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am

desertbadger wrote:IMO, the Crystals are a shade better (just a little smoother) than the red Personnas, but either will work. I'm using a Crystal now in my Krona and I'm happy with it.

Regards,
David
+1 :) They're close, but I stocked up on Blues. They just feel so right, no matter which axe I've loaded with them.

My housemate The Gorilla, whom I converted by giving him his first Weishi and my leftover Williams and VDH boar brush and then PIFed him my 34C, expressed a preference for the Reds. (He can get only one shave no matter what he uses.) So I bought him a pack of 50 of them. Now he's leaving his beard for the winter, so he'll have plenty in the spring. And I won't have to hit him up for any; I've got a good selection on hand.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Racso_MS wrote:Blades are a YMMV. I've used both with no problems. Just have to give them a go and see if they work for you.
Same here......

Ed

Mitsimonsta

Re: Personna Red Pack or Crystal Israeli Personna

Post by Mitsimonsta » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:10 pm

mustang66 wrote:I am from Australia, and it is hard to get many of the blades locally.
I have these. Not in the wrapper, but in the 10-blade dispenser branded as Crystal. Happy to put these in that sampler I offered.
mustang66 wrote:The blades I was looking at locally were the Personna Red Pack and on another website I can get the Crystal Israeli personna. From memory some of you guys mentioned the ones in the blue and white wrappers were the way to go, is that correct?
Yes, but there are two different types of blue-wrapped Personnas.

It is very confusing, but I will try to explain.

There is a blade with a white wrapper with blue printing on it. This is a Crystal (aka 'IP', Israeli Personna).

There is another blade with an all blue wrapper, "Personna' in black and a white silhouette of a blade. This is a Medical/Lab Personna. Also highly regarded, but double the price.

The Crystals are named for their packaging, a 10-pack of blades in a dispenser, they come on a cardboard hanger and a plastic bubble and are branded 'Crystal'. Some vendors have them on the hanger and bubble but in a cardboard box. Others sell them in a white box with 100 loose wrapped blades with '100 Double Edge Blades' on the top. They are all the same blade.
mustang66 wrote:I had a look at the website for the Crystal Israeli Personnas and it shows them to be in a blue and white wrapper. So I assume they are the blade people talk about?
Israeli-made blade in white wrapper and blue printing with 'Platinum super' is indeed a Crystal.

The 'Reds' have the Red wrapper and go by many names; Personna Red Pack, Red IP's. The 'Personna Platinum Chrome' blades we can get locally and also sold in the UK are the same thing. They just have a different name and packaging (Derby-like white plastic box) for the European market. I can point you to the cheapest place to buy these for us.
Joel

Currently DE86, NOS Bleue Extra, Muhle Pure Badger and TOBS Sandalwood.

Zot!

Post by Zot! » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:43 am

My Crystals have a patent number on the blade and the packaging suggests rinsing and not wiping. The red packaged Personnas have neither. I am wondering if the Crystals get an extra coating that is patented and could be wiped off. The Crystals do seem different to me.
Ron

gil3591

Post by gil3591 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:49 am

Zot! wrote:My Crystals have a patent number on the blade and the packaging suggests rinsing and not wiping. The red packaged Personnas have neither. I am wondering if the Crystals get an extra coating that is patented and could be wiped off. The Crystals do seem different to me.
are we certain that the "no wipe" instructions are to protect a coating? if wiping would ruin a coating then i'm thinking shaving would most definately destroy a coating.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer

cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:04 am

Red Personna user here, haven't tried the Crystal. As stated, YMMV because I found a nice balance in the Red (and the Asta). Derby are too blunt for me and I tend to nick too much with Feathers and Iridiums.

Tucker

Crystals

Post by Tucker » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:11 pm

I've tried both and I prefer the Crystals. I find that certain blades perfom well in certain razors. I like the Crystals in vintage Gillette or Schick TTO's. The Red Pack Personnas seemed to take more passes, and were not as sharp for me. I found that the Reds worked best in my Merkur 1904 Open Comb, and I will use them up in that razor.

Araner

Post by Araner » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:42 pm

I just had my first shave with a Crystal blade and I am impressed. If the next 4 shaves with this blade are as good as the first I'm switching to Crystals.

Mike

Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Araner wrote:I just had my first shave with a Crystal blade and I am impressed. If the next 4 shaves with this blade are as good as the first I'm switching to Crystals.

Mike
Just give 'em a chance. They are reliable.
Michael G.

Odio Barbillas

I just have to add

Post by Odio Barbillas » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Out of curiosity/boredom, I "borrowed" an Israeli Red from my friendly next-door gorilla. It had been a good long while since I used one.

Loaded it into my Feather Popular and whipped up a good lather from a tallow + lanolin soap. I was fresh from a shower and I let it sit about two minutes before going to work.

Well, I got an OK shave, but the blade was not as smooth as I like them. Now I'm convinced it was no fluke that I adopted Israeli Blues and US Personnas as among my top choices.

For all that many report the Reds and Blues being so similar as to be interchangeable, I find this to be not the case for me.

At least I'm now satisfied that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. My face and neck speak truth only!

So happy I bought Blues in bulk! :D
Michael G.