1st Shave w/Cobra Classic

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

1st Shave w/Cobra Classic

Post by mantic »

I'm starting to work on an idea for a wetshaving video for later this year: "Newly Designed Safety Razors." I want to talk about the Goodfella, Ikon, and Cobra Classic razors (still toying with the idea of a Pils and/or a Feather Stainless). I've used a Goodfella for a while, have an Ikon Bulldog OC coming, and just came out of the shave den after my first shave with Classic Shaving's Cobra Classic.

Holy cow, insanity with a gold handle. :shock:

One, straight-down pass (irregardless of grain) would probably be considered DFS in my book; certainly "presentable." As it was my straight-down, straight-up, T&C resulted in a shave as close to a straight as I think I've had. Two tiny nicks and a bit of razor burn on the right side of my neck, no doubt due to incorrect angle: I find the handle difficult to hold in some positions.

I find myself faceturbating, something I haven't done in years.
m3m0ryleak

Re: 1st Shave w/Cobra Classic

Post by m3m0ryleak »

mantic wrote: I find myself faceturbating, something I haven't done in years.
Careful Mark, I hear tell that will make you go blind :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Looking forward to you next video which no doubt be great as always.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Yeah, Mark, I really like my Cobra and once you re-adjust your technique it will provide fantastic shaves with very little effort.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Looking forward to the video Mark and your findings.

It is nice to see a growing and inventive group of manufacturers supporting our hobby with new products. Thank goodness for the i-net!
Good shaving,

Gary
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I very much enjoy my Cobra Classic - a feather light touch and you get some incredible shaves... Too heavy a hand and you get some incredibly bad shaves!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
sachin

Post by sachin »

What kind of Feather Professional blades do you guys use with the Cobra Classic?
"A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes." - Mohandas Gandhi
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

mantic wrote:(still toying with the idea of a Pils and/or a Feather Stainless).
For completeness, you should include them, and the Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors as well. :D

I just purchased a Feather All Stainless this week, and I love that the design full covers up the blade tabs.

Having sliced my ear lobe open more than once with the blade tabs, I consider covering them up to be a superior design.
sachin wrote:What kind of Feather Professional blades do you guys use with the Cobra Classic?
I believe it is only designed to work with the Feather Pro blades. The Feather Super Pros are too wide, and the Feather Light are likely too narrow.

I have never heard of anyone trying to use the Cobra with a Feather ProGuard (which is the same width as a Feather Pro).
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
sachin

Post by sachin »

michiganlover wrote:I believe it is only designed to work with the Feather Pro blades. The Feather Super Pros are too wide, and the Feather Light are likely too narrow.

I have never heard of anyone trying to use the Cobra with a Feather ProGuard (which is the same width as a Feather Pro).
I agree that ProGuard blades may not work with the Cobra, but my guess is that the Feather Light blades should work alright as they have the same blade thickness as the Professional blades - 0.254mm (source: Classicshaving). Only one way to find out; have to get SWMBO on board though.
"A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes." - Mohandas Gandhi
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

michiganlover wrote:
For completeness, you should include them, and the Muhle/Edwin Jagger razors as well. :D
I don't think I'll be including the Muhle/EJ razors: their design and materials are pretty standard. I even have my reservations about the Pils and Feather All Stainless, as they seem to be a standard design with an exotic material. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

mantic wrote:
michiganlover wrote:
I don't think I'll be including the Muhle/EJ razors: their design and materials are pretty standard. I even have my reservations about the Pils and Feather All Stainless, as they seem to be a standard design with an exotic material. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think that the Muhle/EJ razor and the Pils might be worth a second look, the Muhle/EJ is a relatively new head design and was a departure from the standard Merkur style head, the Pils is quite a departure by overall design from the standard selection of razors. The only issue might be cost as I find the Pils and new Feather razors a little on the spendy side.

Good luck with your choices.
Good shaving,

Gary
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

sachin wrote:I agree that ProGuard blades may not work with the Cobra, but my guess is that the Feather Light blades should work alright as they have the same blade thickness as the Professional blades - 0.254mm (source: Classicshaving). Only one way to find out; have to get SWMBO on board though.
ClassicShaving has their stats on the Feather Pro, and Feather Light blades messed up, as they list the width, and thickness as being identical.

This is most certainly not the case. I have used both blades in the past,and the Feather Light is smaller in width.

The Feather Light blade is narrower than a Feather Pro, thus resulting in less blade exposure, which makes the razor shave as if it were a 4/8 or 5/8 when placed in a Feather Artist Club Razor.

Feather Pro are supposed to be 5/8 or 6/8

and Feather Super Pro are 6/8 or 7/8.

Since the Cobra is designed only for Feather Pros (as per ClassicShaving's ad copy) the reduced width of the Feather Light might mean the blade doesn't seat properly. Just speculating, as I have never actually held a Cobra.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

sachin

Post by sachin »

michiganlover wrote: ClassicShaving has their stats on the Feather Pro, and Feather Light blades messed up, as they list the width, and thickness as being identical.

This is most certainly not the case. I have used both blades in the past,and the Feather Light is smaller in width.

The Feather Light blade is narrower than a Feather Pro, thus resulting in less blade exposure, which makes the razor shave as if it were a 4/8 or 5/8 when placed in a Feather Artist Club Razor.

Feather Pro are supposed to be 5/8 or 6/8

and Feather Super Pro are 6/8 or 7/8.

Since the Cobra is designed only for Feather Pros (as per ClassicShaving's ad copy) the reduced width of the Feather Light might mean the blade doesn't seat properly. Just speculating, as I have never actually held a Cobra.
Thanks for the info, John. I have neither used the Cobra nor the "No Sharpen" Feather razors. So my conclusion was completely based on the stats on webpages from Classicshaving and westcoastshaving. Hopefully, I will be able to buy and use one of the above mentioned razors in the near future, SWMBO permitting.
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

sachin wrote:Thanks for the info, John. I have neither used the Cobra nor the "No Sharpen" Feather razors. So my conclusion was completely based on the stats on webpages from Classicshaving and westcoastshaving. Hopefully, I will be able to buy and use one of the above mentioned razors in the near future, SWMBO permitting.
Here are the stats from Italianbarber.com (who is an official Feather distributor, thus I assume his stats are correct):

Feather Light:

50 mm length
0.15 mm thick
0.6 mm blade exposure

Feather Pro:

50 mm length
0.15 mm thick
1.2 mm blade exposure

Feather Super Pro:

50mm length
0.31 mm thick
1.45 mm blade exposure

Feather ProGuard:

50 mm length
0.15 mm thick
1.2 mm blade exposure
Last edited by michiganlover on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

changabang

Post by changabang »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I very much enjoy my Cobra Classic - a feather light touch and you get some incredible shaves... Too heavy a hand and you get some incredibly bad shaves!
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any in-between, at least for me. And the length of the blade is very ungainly.
James Nicks
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Percy Snodgrass wrote:Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any in-between, at least for me. And the length of the blade is very ungainly.
This is my initial experience as well: I get either effortless BBS or a bloodbath. I'm getting used to the length of the blade and the odd handle more quickly than I thought I would though.

--Mark
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been curious about the Cobra, but right now I'm thoroughly distracted by two beauties of different persuasions, a gold Slant HD and a Hart Steel straight razor, and am awaiting the arrival of the Big Boy Deluxe and the Rocket HD. I'm sure there'll be a Cobra in my future, just not right now. I'll let you guys have all the fun (for now).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

You'd think that if someone came up with this exotic thing, that someone would come up with one with the greater appeal of using regular injector blades.
brothers

Post by brothers »

A comment regarding the similarity some have mentioned between the Cobra and a straight razor -- Robert Williams makes a version of the straight razor that he calls the "Purist", that has no "old fashioned (?)" scales or handles, and I think I understood that the Purist has a 2" blade, which is right at 50mm. Most straight razor blades, I think, are in the neighborhood of almost 3".
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote:You'd think that if someone came up with this exotic thing, that someone would come up with one with the greater appeal of using regular injector blades.
Good thought Paul. since the Cobra is an SE razor, it seems it would be considered an improvement if the blades were injectable.
Gary

John N.

Post by John N. »

I have had a Cobra for over a year, and really like it. It took 3-4 shaves to adjust to the width of the blade and learn the handle. Now the wide blade seems natural (even after not using it for a while), and I love the strange looking handle. It is especially nice when shaving "up" or ATG & XTG. I consistantly get BBS and no burn with this razor; as long as I use a light touch and don't let my mind wander :roll: .
Changing the blades at first requires some fiddling, but it can be quickly and safely done with a little practice.
As good and interesting as the razor is, I believe the blades are the stars of the show. The Feather Pro Blade is as sharp as, well, a Feather, is quite rigid and lasts a long time. I have been getting 15+(quality)shaves from a single blade, and sometime change the blade out 'cause I "think" it's time.
As you can tell, it's a fave.
John N.
John N.