Just received a Merkur Slant

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Just received a Merkur Slant

Post by brothers »

I traded a guy for a nice gold slant a few days ago. it arrived today, and is simply beautiful. The slant bar head is even more intriguing in person than in pictures.

I've got it soaking in Mar-v-cide right now, and tomorrow morning I'll load a new blade in it and see what happens! Do any of you guys have suggestions for which blade might be the best?

I've got the following on hand to choose from: Swede, SI, Derby, Wilkinson Sword UK, Gillette Super Stainless, Treet Dura Sharp, and maybe a 7 O'Clock yellow to choose from. I used up my last Feather a couple of weeks ago. If I hadn't done that, I think I'd go with the Feather, just because!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

Good score. Be careful loading the blade. Slants require a little more care than other razors. Looking at a properly loaded blade from above, the blade edges should be parallel to the cap edges when loaded correctly. The way that works for me is I put the cap down on the counter with the shaft pointing up, and place the blade on the shaft. Then with the cap still on the counter, I put the razor into the cap and screw it down. I always check the make sure the blade edges are parallel to the cap edges. Others have their own method of correctly loading the blades.

I think my favorite blade matched to the 37C Slant is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum in the Black box from India. I find this is a very smooth combination.

eric.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Slants are bad news for me regardless. But since you're going to try it out tomorrow, I say go with the Swedish Gillette....why fool around? Best of luck.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

merkur razors (including the slants) are for the most part very compatible with most blades

of course eveyone lands on a good match that suits themselves

so i would not be to concerned on what blade,,but if you have no experience
shaving with a slant style razor,,maybe to start of with a smooth shaving blade thats on the forgiving side..

some feel the aggresiveness of the slant and others feel no or very little difference from the slant to the regular shaving head..

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, I had a very nice shave this morning, my first with a Slant. Went with a new Gillette Platinum (Swede). Understanding that it would tend toward the more aggressive razors, I took care to treat it just as any other razor, and to apply no pressure. Took time to concentrate and do what comes naturally. No problems. The smoothness of the shave afterward was as good as any, and better than some.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

brothers wrote:Well, I had a very nice shave this morning, my first with a Slant. Went with a new Gillette Platinum (Swede). Understanding that it would tend toward the more aggressive razors, I took care to treat it just as any other razor, and to apply no pressure. Took time to concentrate and do what comes naturally. No problems. The smoothness of the shave afterward was as good as any, and better than some.
Good to hear of your success! I've used slants for many years and love them. Despite the fear of the slant....your early experience sounds very similar to what mine was and still continues to be years later...smooth, comfortable, and uneventful even when using the sharpest of blades (actually, ESPECIALLY when using the sharpest of blades). :D
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

glassmtn wrote:Looking at a properly loaded blade from above, the blade edges should be parallel to the cap edges when loaded correctly.
There have been several heated discussions about the correct way to load a blade in the slant razor. Most people say you simply put in the blade and tighten the head, that the razor should be built to work correctly that way. The method you described above seems to be an exact version of the "simply put it in" method. It gives you a varying gap between the blade edge and the guard, closest on the left and farthest on the right. I've installed blades two ways, with an even gap (by twisting the blade clockwise before tightening the head), and also the way you described, and I didn't notice much difference when shaving.

Did you get your method from Merkur?

bernards66 wrote:Slants are bad news for me regardless.
Do you also have trouble when imitating a slant with a regular razor by holding the head slightly rotated? Or haven't you tried that?
Last edited by Pauldog on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, It's interesting, I use my regular Gillette DE in that manner; with a slight slicing slant-like angle to the head. I've shaved that way for ages. But actual slant head razors have always given me skin problems. Go figure.
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Slants have always peaked my interest as with open combs, I think neither of them are as deadly as is sometimes made out on the forums. Please keep posting your findings!
Good shaving,

Gary
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Slants, OCs, and straights terrify me! I'm even hesitant to try an adjustable! :shock:

The good news for me is I'm very happy with my arsenal as it is. \:D/
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
brothers

Post by brothers »

Second day of using the Slant. This is what it's all about. Very nice smooth and satisfying shave. I can't tell any difference in this razor and any of my favorites. If you are a guy who has second thoughts about giving this razor a whirl, I'd recommend you go ahead and get yourself one. These razors are serious shavers.
Gary

glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

Paul,

I came upon my method through experimentation. I had read the various ways people recommended on how to load a blade onto a Slant. Most of them worked for me some of the time, but it was inconsistent. Finally I just put the cap on the counter with the shaft pointing up and put the blade in and screwed the razor into the cap. It is the most consistent method for me, although I always check it and occasionally have to adjust the blade to have it seated properly.

Loading a blade into a Slant is not rocket science, but for me it is more troublesome than any other razor I have tried.

eric.
changabang

Post by changabang »

I've had a 37G for months, but I've only used it twice. Don't know why I'm so wary of it, or maybe I'm not, since I have so many razors to choose from, it's just not in the normal rotation. I have concluded, though, that it does a fine job shaving the neck, since normally I shave with a grip that "slants' the blade's exposure in that vital area. With the 37G, I can use the normal grip.
James Nicks
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

Pauldog wrote:There have been several heated discussions about the correct way to load a blade in the slant razor. Most people say you simply put in the blade and tighten the head, that the razor should be built to work correctly that way. The method you described above seems to be an exact version of the "simply put it in" method. It gives you a varying gap between the blade edge and the guard, closest on the left and farthest on the right. I've installed blades two ways, with an even gap (by twisting the blade clockwise before tightening the head), and also the way you described, and I didn't notice much difference when shaving.

Did you get your method from Merkur?
I'm not sure what the proper way to load a Slant is but I also just put it in and let the head geometry do the rest as it's tightened down. The blade is intended to be slanted for slicing through those whiskers and forcing the blade parallel to the cap seems like it might mitigate some of that intended slicing action. However, I've also loaded it both ways many times and don't feel much of a difference either. I'm not sure how exactly how slanted the cap is but I don't want to feel like I'm just using an HD with a slanted safety bar. But if some of us feel loading the blade in a consistent, repeatable manner gives them more consistent, repeatable results I say go for it! :)
gsgo wrote:Slants have always peaked my interest as with open combs, I think neither of them are as deadly as is sometimes made out on the forums.
I agree on the slants and open combs. I must have at least 40 different modern and vintage razors and slants and open combs seem to be some of the most comfortable of them all. I have yet to find any of my collection to be deadly or bloodthirsty. They're called "safety razors" for a reason and the few nicks I've received have all been extremely superficial. I did get a nice case of razor burn trying to get BBS on my neck with an only adequately sharpened Rolls Razor...that was definitely uncomfortable for a few days.
John N.

Post by John N. »

I have had a 39c, AKA Sledgehammer, for a couple years now, and it is an important part of my rotation. I especially like to use it when I haven't had a shave in 2+ days. It just seems to be in its element on those days. Never had any real problems loading the blade as long as I check the allignment prior to putting blade to flesh. Once you have your technique down (happens quickly), you are rewarded with consistantly BBS shaves with no irritation. Of course if you take your eye off the ball, so to speak, you can be rudely surprised.
Pauldog posted recently that blades last longer in a slant. I think he may be correct. Seems to me that there would be less wear & tear on the edge if used as a slicer as opposed to a chopper.
I believe that a slanted head is a rather elegent evolutionary development of the traditional DE head that works very well.
John N.
John N.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Since there are very few slant razors, there isn't a variety of blade exposures available to try. It would be interesting to have a slant razor a little less aggressive than the Merkur.
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

I have a Hoffritz slant bar, and it's easily one of my favorite razors. It's outstanding if you have a couple of day's growth; and isn't particularly difficult to use. Just treat it with the respect it deserves.
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm pretty sure the Hoffritz razors were rebranded Merkurs.
John N.

Post by John N. »

Way back in the dimly lit past (around 1973), I purchased a Hoffritz. It was a thing of beauty, but it consistantly tore me up. The irony is that probably some of the best DE blades ever made were in every store, but my technique (& canned foam) sucked so bad they would stick to the wall if thrown. I naturally blamed it on the razor, gave it away, and returned to a Trac II I believe. Now my 39c is a fave. Amazing what 38 years can do :) .
J.
John N.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I shaved much of my life with DE's and other classic razors without knowing about essential things I learned here, like using light pressure. I had already been using a brush, but didn't know about high-end brushes and creams.