Walmart Wilkinson Sword Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
LookingGlass

Walmart Wilkinson Sword Blades

Post by LookingGlass »

I think I may read a post on these blades in the past......

Sort of subjective, but are the Wilkinson Sword DE blades at Walmart good? @$1.79 for 10, seems like a decent price.

Thanks,
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

For a couple of bucks, it'd be interesting to find out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rocky_Marciano

Post by Rocky_Marciano »

I think they are german wilkinson swords, ive tried them and the english ones I didnt care for either one and im not a fussy person. But for a 1.79 id probably buy a pack next time i need blades, i wish they still carried the personna's.
"Life aint about how hard you can hit its how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward"
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

They almost certainly are German, and the price is good, since several years ago Target sold 5-packs for about $1.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote:They almost certainly are German, and the price is good, since several years ago Target sold 5-packs for about $1.
Target evidently stopped selling anything except cartridges.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

brothers wrote:
Pauldog wrote:They almost certainly are German, and the price is good, since several years ago Target sold 5-packs for about $1.
Target evidently stopped selling anything except cartridges.
Yeah, a true shame that its bright yet brief Proraso moment never caught on. Oh well....
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

With razors up to 6-blade cartridges, and disposable razors, there isn't much shelf space for the classic stuff. Manufacturers and stores have been phasing out twin blade razors for several years.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Here's the original thread:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44749

I shaved with one of these this morning and it was a little rough compared to some other blades I use, but I got a good shave and have shaved with worse!

Also, I noticed a change in the packaging last week. Don't know if the blades are the same or not.

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Gene

Post by Gene »

I have a pack of the WalMart Wilks in the "new" packaging, as well as a large supply of the German packs.

Aside from the obvious difference between the packs I think they are the same blade. The WalMart blades say made in Germany on the outer cardboard, but the blades are wrapped in exactly the same paper wrapper, and unwrapped the blades themselves look identical. I'll take some pictures tonight.

I have the same experience other have had with the Walmart blades - first shave rough, but decent. Second shave with the blades are smoother. I don't recall that with my German packed blades - I'll try one tomorrow with the same razor to compare.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Guys,

I picked up a 10 pack for $1.79. These are the German blades; black container, white wrapper w/black lettering; no wax.

I normally do my '59 Fatboy (setting 5) when I first use a new blade. However, my first shave was with my Merkur 23C and AOS Sandalwood. For me, very nice. A close, comfortable shave. I am assuming you can find cheaper than 17.9 cents a blade in a bulk buy on the Internet. But with the convenience of WallyWorld, it would have to be a very good deal.

Highly recommended.

Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Can't beat a deal like that. A good blade on the shelf a few miles from home for a few cents is a good deal in my book.
Gary

GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

hmmmmm
Have not seen them here in my part of Canada.
Anybody else anywhere else in Canada found them?
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, FWIW, those were the blades that drove me to the search for something better and since I couldn't find anything at that time, pushed me over into using my Schick Injector daily. I'd been experiancing the Wilkinson DE blades slowly going down hill throughout the '90s but they were still at least pretty good. But then when they switched production from England to Germany, well, that was the end for me. Those German blades were just too rough and crude for me to use. The whole thing seriously annoyed me at the time as I'd been using mainly Wilkinson blades for three and a half decades at that point.
Regards,
Gordon
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I will have to whip around to pick some up since the German Wilkinson Classics are my best blade. I buy my stock at Bed Bath and Beyond Health and Beauty stores but they are $1.99 for a pack of 5 in a white blister pack.

With my Merkur 1904 I find the German Wilks to be smooth and comfortable and totally reliable. Averaging 4-5 solid shaves a blade, I am so lucky to be able to pick them up locally.

Most people's choice in blades is like comparing apples and oranges. Everyone's mileage will certainly vary.
Good shaving,

Gary
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I used one yesterday. I was unimpressed to the extent that I had no desire to experience day two. The razor tugged and shaved like it was loaded with a well used blade. And keep in mind my preferred blades are in the moderate camp such as the IP and Dorco. Plus, this had to be the thinnest blade I have ever used, feeling flimsy while loading. I've used worse blades (hello Balzano) but there are a lot better for the same or less money.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jbc

Post by jbc »

I would buy them at that price for Wilkerson Swords of course my face could care less what I shave with. I went mad one time and shaved with: a piece of broken glass, a kitchen knife, a hatchett, an axe and a pocket knife. It all worked great but I learned why most men don't shave with pocket knives or kitchen knives - the dang thing has all of the weight in the handle and the blasted thing kept rotating towards my ears.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Just bought a pack of the Wilkinson Sword Razor blades from a local Walmart for $1.76. For quite some time they stopped carrying DE blades. On a whim (and this thread), I went to the razor blade section and there they were. Made in Germany, but if they give me a decent respectable shave (fingers crossed) I'm going to buy them up. If they give me the slightest tug, nick, weeper, or cut, THEY ARE OUT OF HERE. I'll let you know.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Racso_MS wrote:Just bought a pack of the Wilkinson Sword Razor blades from a local Walmart for $1.76. For quite some time they stopped carrying DE blades. On a whim (and this thread), I went to the razor blade section and there they were. Made in Germany, but if they give me a decent respectable shave (fingers crossed) I'm going to buy them up. If they give me the slightest tug, nick, weeper, or cut, THEY ARE OUT OF HERE. I'll let you know.
Rasco,

Seems to be in this post, either you like them or you don't. I look at it this way............

I saw the blades for $1.79 and decided to give them a try. Even if they were lousy, I could toss them and only be out <$2.00. However, for me, they are great. I have tried them in the Merkur 23C, EJ89L, Fatboy, Muhle R89, Krona, etc and they have not disappointed me. So here I have a good source of cheap blades that give me great shaves and are only 2 miles away. :D :D Glad I took the chance on them.

VR

Ed
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Ed,

Thanks for the update. I feel the same about Merkurs. Most don't like them but there are a few of us that really enjoy them. I hope this is the case with this razor blade, because if it is, like you said, I have a ready supply at a reasonable price real close. And if I do like them, I'll buy all they have. At $1.76 a pack, I'd be foolish not to just in case they decided not to sell them again. Food for thought. We once thought Proraso would always be available at Target and it went the way of the Dodo ( an extinct flightless bird). :wink:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Racso_MS wrote:Ed,

Thanks for the update. I feel the same about Merkurs. Most don't like them but there are a few of us that really enjoy them. I hope this is the case with this razor blade, because if it is, like you said, I have a ready supply at a reasonable price real close. And if I do like them, I'll buy all they have. At $1.76 a pack, I'd be foolish not to just in case they decided not to sell them again. Food for thought. We once thought Proraso would always be available at Target and it went the way of the Dodo ( an extinct flightless bird). :wink:
Hey..sorry for the misspelling of your name.....been a long day on the East coast. Speaking of Merkurs. I purchased a 23C and a 33C and at first I did not like them - even tried to sell them. However, I decided to hang on to these razors and am glad I did. These guys were a little different than the razors I had been using and I was blaming the razor. After deciding to keep them, I started working on technique. The 23C has become one of my favorites; however, I still find the 33C to be a little too aggressive for me. I am not giving up as I may find the right combination of blade/cream/soap that will make the 33C pop for me.

Take care,

Ed