Walmart Wilkinson Sword Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Racso_MS wrote:Just bought a pack of the Wilkinson Sword Razor blades from a local Walmart for $1.76. For quite some time they stopped carrying DE blades. On a whim (and this thread), I went to the razor blade section and there they were. Made in Germany, but if they give me a decent respectable shave (fingers crossed) I'm going to buy them up. If they give me the slightest tug, nick, weeper, or cut, THEY ARE OUT OF HERE. I'll let you know.
Can't believe it. I tried them last night... NO PROBLEMS... I was actually surprised. I received a decent shave using this blade with my Merkur Barber Pole. No nicks, cuts, weepers or rash. I will definetly buy up some of these and keep them in in my stash. I honestly can't believe they worked as well as they did. For $1.76 a pack, it's worth it to me to have a supply on hand.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I continue to be totally satisfied with these blades. I have used them in vintage Gillettes, EJ89L, Merkur, and Krona razors with my various soaps and creams. Great, comfortable, smooth shaves.

Beside the German W/S blades, I have Feathers, Personna Reds, Derbys, Astras (platinum and stainless), Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, Lords, Bolzano, Sharks, Blue Birds, and Israeli Blues plus a number of others received as a bonus in various orders.

As I mentioned in a recent post, I recently received some Gillette India Limited Wilkinson Sword Blades with a razor purchase and am getting great shaves with them (just ordered a pack of 50 <$10.00 shipped) and can get the German W/S at Walmart at any time for $1.79.

Wish I knew how I could get rid of my current collection of blades. I have seen the term "PIF" in posts which sounds like sending shaving buddies some of your products. Will someone please let me know what "PIF" means?

I got a little windy - just wanted to give an update on the German and Indian W/S blades.

Thanks,
Ed
Milkbone

Post by Milkbone »

Hey, LookingGlass. PIF is usually short for "Pay It Forward", in that you are sending whatever items to someone that may want to try them, or maybe you just want to offer a kind gesture to folks. :) They may in return, do the same one day for other folks one day :)
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I've been using the WalMart Wilkinson Sword blades for nearly a month now, and I'm impressed with a capital I. I liked the Personna blades WalMart used to sell, but Feathers always gave me a closer shave, though occasionally after going against the grain 2 or 3 days in a row the Feathers could be a bit harsh.

So far, the Wilkinson blades have been every bit as effective as Feather's blades, but far more forgiving day after day. In my opinion, these things are far smoother than Merkurs, and many times more effective than IPs.

No, these aren't miracle blades, and they're not the best I've ever used, but for blades available locally at a great price, they are terribly good! Of course, this is my own opinion, and the difference between your opinion and mine may be as different as your beard and mine.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

I got some last weekend but I haven't used them.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

glazer1972 wrote:I got some last weekend but I haven't used them.
Good luck, matey! Srsly, be careful; some of us find them to be no better than recycled soft drink cans.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I tried one of these again today. It came from a pack bought in 2010 or so, before Wal-Mart changed the packaging.

Razor: 1930's long-tooth NEW with ball end hande.
Shave #1 for the blade.
I had not shaved in about 27 hours, so the beard was good for a test.
The first pass felt very rough, more like pulling than slicing.
The second and final pass was surprisingly smooth and excellent, and so was the shave.
No actual third pass - just a little of what Mantic calls "buffing" on the lower neck.
I will buy a pack of the current ones and see how they compare.
If they work the price is hard to beat!

Regards,
Roger

Pack Pic:
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Shave4Fun wrote:I tried one of these again today. It came from a pack bought in 2010 or so, before Wal-Mart changed the packaging.

Shave #1 for the blade.
The second and final pass was surprisingly smooth and excellent, and so was the shave.
No actual third pass - just a little of what Mantic calls "buffing" on the lower neck.

Regards,
Roger

Pack Pic:

Wow....a lot of time has passed since my original post (Feb 2011). I still have the "Swords" in my stable and still getting great shaves. :D :D However, I have sold off all of the Merkurs, EJs, Muhles and now have only Gillette vintage razors (except for a nice Schick Krona - thanks Squire for the recommendation.)

Take care,
Ed
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

LookingGlass wrote:
Shave4Fun wrote:I tried one of these again today. It came from a pack bought in 2010 or so, before Wal-Mart changed the packaging.

Shave #1 for the blade.

Regards,
Roger

Pack Pic:

Wow....a lot of time has passed since my original post (Feb 2011). I still have the "Swords" in my stable and still getting great shaves. :D :D However, I have sold off all of the Merkurs, EJs, Muhles and now have only Gillette vintage razors (except for a nice Schick Krona - thanks Squire for the recommendation.)

Take care,
Ed
Ed,
I stocked up on these when WM started stocking them. I'm pretty much still a Gillette razor man myself, well, except for my Slant... :wink:
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)