Personna Hospital Use blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Personna Hospital Use blade

Post by bernards66 »

Matt, Yeah, that's not a bad description of these HU Personnas; 'a sharper ( and longer lasting ) version' of the tried and true IP blades. Another way of describing them is to say that they are not unlike the beloved Gillette 'Swedes'...perhaps not quite AS good but not that far off. FWIW, I can't use the Feather blades either.
Regards,
Gordon
styptic screams

Post by styptic screams »

Welp, I'm just in for a C-box from Robbins?!

You guys! :D
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

I took Gary up on his offer of a few Hospital Use Personnas, and today was my inaugural shave. Having tried most of the various Personnas, I was astonished. This blade is very smooth, comfortable and sharp, much better than its stablemates.

I agree with others that this shaves much like the 70's-80's golden-era blades.

I think the Personna HU will land on my top three list. Whether it will dethrone my favorite blade, the Perma-Sharp Super, remains to be seen.

Thanks Gary!
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks for the review and good to see you, Chuck! I find the Personna HU blades excellent, as well. I am using the Lab Prep version at present, which may or may not be the same blade. Perhaps it is confirmation bias, but while I get fine shaves with these, they don't measure up to the Hospital Use blades for me.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Good to see you too, Tim!

I just recalled that I had a near miss with the Personna HU's a couple of years ago. I, along with several others, ordered a 100 ct. carton from Robbins. The blades were not stamped "Hospital Use" though they arrived in an identical box. The Robbins folks checked with Personna and were assured that the blades were the same, so I tried them and found them to be thoroughly ordinary. However, it appears that Personna finally acknowledged the mix-up, and Robbins replaced the blades upon request. Unfortunately, I had moved on, assuming that the Hospital Use blades didn't work for me.

After my great experience yesterday with Gary's HU, I found my long-abandoned full box of Robbins non-HU's and shaved with one this morning. Just as I remembered - the shave it delivered was mediocre at best.

You can imagine my surprise when I tried the genuine article!
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tim and Chuck, it's great to see both of you!

Chuck, I would have to say that my favorite blades currently in production are the Personna HU/Med Prep and the Perma-Sharp Supers, much as you observed.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

They were mediocre in the Krona, so the razor has something to do with it, too, at least in my case. Dialed down in the Progress (like Murray), I get the best DE shaves ever.
Ron
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

While my first use of the Personna HU was superb, I wanted to try it in extended use to see how it stacked up against my favorites. Good news - I used it for ten shaves and it was still delivering smooth, close and effortless shaves. I binned it after my Sunday shave because my routine is to start out with fresh blades on Mondays.

This is a great blade for me. I'd be content to settle down with either the Perma-Sharp Super or the Personna HU. It will be fun to watch them battle for supremacy in my den.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
brothers

Post by brothers »

Chuck I'm just following up to inquire how the blades have been performing for you, over the past few weeks or so. It's hard for me to believe I first posted about these blades in this thread going on 4 years ago. I've used and grown fond of the Kai DE blades in the past couple of years. They're good blades, but they're not superior to the Personna prep blades, in my opinion. I'm still being amazed at the performance of the Personnas.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

brothers wrote:Chuck I'm just following up to inquire how the blades have been performing for you, over the past few weeks or so. It's hard for me to believe I first posted about these blades in this thread going on 4 years ago. I've used and grown fond of the Kai DE blades in the past couple of years. They're good blades, but they're not superior to the Personna prep blades, in my opinion. I'm still being amazed at the performance of the Personnas.
Sorry for the delayed response, Gary. The Personna HU is a wonderful blade, and I continue to be amazed by its whisker-melting ability. For me, it has landed as my second favorite, just a tiny bit behind the Perma-Sharp. I would happily use it exclusively if the Perma-Sharp didn't exist.

Thanks again for introducing me to this blade.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

gagarin wrote:
brothers wrote:Chuck I'm just following up to inquire how the blades have been performing for you, over the past few weeks or so. It's hard for me to believe I first posted about these blades in this thread going on 4 years ago. I've used and grown fond of the Kai DE blades in the past couple of years. They're good blades, but they're not superior to the Personna prep blades, in my opinion. I'm still being amazed at the performance of the Personnas.
Sorry for the delayed response, Gary. The Personna HU is a wonderful blade, and I continue to be amazed by its whisker-melting ability. For me, it has landed as my second favorite, just a tiny bit behind the Perma-Sharp. I would happily use it exclusively if the Perma-Sharp didn't exist.

Thanks again for introducing me to this blade.

Regards,
Now I want to try the Perma-Sharp blade! 8)
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Where are people sourcing these now?
Jim
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I'm sure they're widely available, Amazon, etc. I get mine from West Coast Shaving. Just received an order of 100 of these -- I'm a satisfied customer.
_evahs_

Post by _evahs_ »

Just got a set of these personna blades and so far I love them!
brothers

Post by brothers »

This feels like a good occasion to refresh my ongoing offer to send a few of the Personna Hospital Use blades free of any costs to anyone who wants to try 'em. Just send me a PM. 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
hrfdez

Post by hrfdez »

I have been on the fence about trying these blades, but after all this wonderful reviews, I think is time to give them a shot.
Hector
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's shave with the Personna hospital use blade in the Darwin Deluxe stainless razor was #14. I've been using this same blade in 4 DE razors in the regular rotation. The shave was excellent as usual.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary I posted a thread in one forum asking about stockpiled blades, and in DE blades the Med Preps continually come up. Today or 30 years from now they will be considered excellent blades; I have no doubt of that! There are others as well but that isn't on subject. I'm trying to say that they are universally appreciated. I know that I have my share. :-)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
preidy

Post by preidy »

Sometimes you have to pay for what you get. Med Prep is a good example of this - at least for me. It's one of the blades I've stocked up with 250+ since I can used it sucessfully (YMMV) with any of my 7 rotation razors. I find is very smooth and forgiving despite being towards the top of the sharp list. Once I deplete the remaining 5 other great blades I use (Voskhod, Rapira PL, G-Platium, Crystal & P-Red) I may just go with MP. Time will tell.