I got a DE...now how do I use it?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

I got a DE...now how do I use it?

Post by Chris »

Gents,

I was the beneficiary of receiving a large amount of soaps and creams and a DE with a pack of blades from a gent on another board. I was wondering...how do I use this sucker? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I don't even know how to load it!
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

What make/model razor is it , Chris?

If it is a Gillette 'TTO' (Twist-to-Open) then the end of the handle will twist counter-clockwise and the silo-doors will open to expose the blade ....

If it is some other make, it may be that the head of the razor unscrews from the handle... then the head comes apart in two pieces (make sure to remember the orientation of the halves) and the blade is sandwiched between these halves. Sometimes, older razors I've seen, there is a knob at the end of the handle but it just undoes the screw that holds the handle to the head of the razor. Same thing though, the head is two halves, blade sandwiches between, then the assembly is screwed back together...

In either of these, be careful when holding the head (with blade installed) that you do not hold onto the (long) sides of the head where you could cut the fingers on the blade. Don't over-tighten the screw type assemblies.
I hope that helps.......

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

You were spot on, Gramps. The razor twists open through the bottom...now I have to learn how to shave with it! Joel, I need a tutorial/pictorial!