My EJ89L broke!

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

That is great news, and a bonus that you salvaged the handle. I am getting great shaves with mine this week with a Lord Chrome blade. Last time, a Derby Extra gave me late breaking irritation that I don't get with a Merkur HD/ Derby combo. Like they say, blade preference can be a dark art.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

New head arrived from E.J. on Saturday along with a couple of small sample creams. I'm happy!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Impressive customer service, handled in a professional manner! Very glad to hear it all worked out - also good to know these razors have a lifetime warranty...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Wow. That's good service. I have a DE86 (same as yours, with a black handle) and it's a really fantastic razor. Good to see that EJ takes care of it's customers.
-Andrew-
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Thanks for the updates! I only have 2 razors a EJ DE86 & DE89L glad to hear if something was to happen to them I can replace them!
druphus

Post by druphus »

For those of you how might be interested - It is my experience that there has been "evolution" regarding the Muhle Head that EJ is now using on its three piece razors.

The first EJ I purchased was a faux-horn Chatsworth on January 20, 2009.
This razor came with the new Muhle head (immediately prior to this, EJ was using Merkur head, which were very similar in design to the head on the HD razor).
On February 12, 2009, I bought a Chrome Chatsworth. I subsequently broke the head on the Chrome Chatsworth. So, here is a photo of those two heads:

What I find curious is that, on one, the cap is numbered 1, whereas on the other its numbered 2.
I don't even have a theory on what this might mean, but, at the very least, one must assume different castings.
In any event, here is a shot of the broken cap:

As with Jim's broken head, it sure looks like the threaded post was plated pot metal.

On March 18, 2011 I purchased two more EJ razors - a DE 86 and a DE89L.
The heads on these two razors are identical, but have been modified from the earlier heads.
Here is a photo of the old head with a new head:

THis modification has not changed the head profile, as can be seen from this photo (the older head is always on the left):

I had heard from another forum member that his Muhle razor-head had broken and that Muhle replaced it; but, I never really considered contacting EJ about my broken head until Jim's post.
I contacted EJ yesterday and it is sending me a new head as well! Frankly this stuns me.

I'm guessing that the new EJ razors will not suffer the "broken head syndrome", and that EJ is seeing to it that prior bad samples are replaced.

In any event, Edwin Jagger is to be commended on this extraordinary customer service.

One last shot (since I have it):
Regards,
Andy
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

Thanks for the input Andy! Great pictures!!!!
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Excellent!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444