Feather Stainless too aggressive for me

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
drpbier

Feather Stainless too aggressive for me

Post by drpbier »

Before I bought the Feather, I used a Mergress XL which Mer had customised to make it milder, and I used it dialled all the way down. Smooth shaves, every day, and no irritation. The Feather looks great, has absolutely fantastic build quality and is so easy to keep clean (plus I love th little stand)...but my skin is now constantly irritated. Does anyone have any ideas on whether it can be modified to make it less aggressive?

Or, is there an Ikon equivalent that's milder than the Feather? Otherwise I'll be selling the Feather and getting another Mergress I think.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

im not sure about you questions,,i seriously doubt a fixed head razor can
be modded period

one thing i can tell you, you probably already know by now,

when you have a razor or any other shave product,,that is working well for ya..never give if up...

marc
drpbier

Post by drpbier »

I didn't get rid of the Mergress - I was just hoping for a really well made razor that was easier to keep clean. But if the Feather can't be modded I'll just sell it and chalk it up to experience
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I do not think that the Feather is more aggressive per se...I just think the geometry and thus the optimal shaving angle is different. The good news is that you should not have much of a problem selling the Feather. 8)
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
paddy

Post by paddy »

if you like a mild razor try the EJ89L.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

paddy wrote:if you like a mild razor try the EJ89L.
+1...mild and smooth
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

The Feather AS probably requires a different shaving angle than the Progress. I would not give up on it yet. As mentioned, try a different shaving angle, and of course, no pressure. And short strokes.

eric.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

What blade are you using?
The only way to tune a fix head razor is by using a less or more aggressive blade.
I like Derby and IPs in my otherwise aggressive razors.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This amazes me. I consider the Feather All Stainless a very mild razor, and I shaved with a Gillette Tech for 3 years.

The Edwin Jagger/Muhle I do not consider mild. It is smooth, but it is moderately aggressive. Most say that it is a tiny bit less aggressive than a Merkur, which isn't mild by the reckoning of most shavers.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I agree with Murray although "very mild" may be going a tad far, IMO. My guess is that the OP's modified Progress is extremely so, like a Gillette adjustable set on '1'.
Regards,
Gordon
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

It is totally the wrong razor for you and you should sell it to me for oh, maybe $40.00 plus shipping. Only then will you be happy! :D
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
drpbier

Post by drpbier »

Hi all. I use Iridium Supers which are the next best thing to the Swedes for me - Gawd knows what I'll use when these run out, the yellow 7 O'Clocks didn't work for me.

I used my Mergress last week and what a massive relief. I can't go back to the Feather, I'll be polishing it up, packing it away and sticking it up for sale.

You're right Gordon, it is very mild indeed. My skin loves it and I think this is my last razor experiment.
drpbier

Post by drpbier »

And I'm going to try and get Bob to make me a stand for the new Mergress too...
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

BullGoose wrote:
paddy wrote:if you like a mild razor try the EJ89L.
+1...mild and smooth
Have to agree with Phil....a nice, smooth razor for me. There is a whole bunch of positive reviews for this razor on a number of shave sites.

Ed