Tried Injector Razor Today. Compare to DE's

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My face is still recovering from the scraping I reported on last. Skipped the shave today. I have been buying the BIC steels at Walgreens.com. I find them to be a more forgiving shaver than the Personna 74 injector I tried. maybe I got used blades. But I still think they are way too aggessive for me. I use the BICs when traveling. I'm going back to DE Feathers for two great shaves each.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
fisherprice

Post by fisherprice »

Based on this thread, I went back and tried the Injector (N, I think?) that I bought from Gil (along with the Schick Plus Platinum blades) a little while ago. I persevered where I faded at my last attempt and got a very enjoyable, close shave.

My primary issue is one of *weight*-- being used to the Futur, I found the super-light Injector almost difficult to deal with. Has anyone used a type B or F? Are they more.... "weighty"? Is there another maker?

(from: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm )

Thanks,

Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, The Type Ns are, argueably, the best Injectors that Schick made. Granted, any of them from the late '50s on through the final Type O are very good. The models from earlier than that, the ones with the shorter handles are at least as light, are more aggressive, and are not as well made. Of course an injector will feel light if one is very used to a Futur ( which are too heavy and bulky for my personal taste, BTW ). A Type N is a highly utilitarian razor, nothing fancy about it....it's all business with no frills. Personna and Gillette also made a few injector razors but they were pretty similiar to the Schicks in style and weight.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The type A, B, and C are very hefty, but ancient. I don't know what the shave would be like, and they weren't made to be loaded from the usual blade packs, because those packs didn't exist yet. The "F" is pretty rare, and I never tried one. The "D" (which looks like an all-metal version of the old bakelite handled injectors), the first one to load from a pack, is also rare.

My suggestion is to use one of the recommended recent ones, and take the time to adjust to the weight. On the other hand, I shouldn't discourage you from being adventurous with the early models. You'll need to take some blades out of a pack and load them into the ancient razor's magazine.
Last edited by Pauldog on Mon May 09, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themba

Post by themba »

Hey Pauldog what ever happened to your broken "Paul Revere" injector. Dave, it is all metal with a handle like the International Slver Trac IIs. It is not listed on safetyrazors.net. I guess that would be an injector with more weight. However, I find it to be a mild shaver.

I believe Gordon's advise is correct. Take time to get use the the weight of the injectors.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Agreed that the light weight is a little off-putting at first, especially coming over from DE's, but I arrived via cartridges so had little trouble adjusting. The lightness turns into a plus because of the maneuverability; just slow down a bit since it's tempting to speed things up with this race-car razor, and that's where nicks will come from. It'll all settle in after time.
Ron
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

The "Paul Revere" model Schick (if you can find one) will be heavier, plus their really 8) looking. If mmortus sees this post he might post a picture of his.
Another one that has a bit of weight to it is the PAL Adjustable. The head and outside handle area are stainless steel, the inside grip area is plastic. Again, very 8) .
Both shave extremely well.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

themba wrote:Hey Pauldog what ever happened to your broken "Paul Revere" injector.
Still broken! I've been fooling around with other stuff, and forgot about it until now.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My face has been sore ever since that second shave. I skipped shaving yesterday and today used the old Feather. It was so irritating still that I put in a new blade to finish the shave. I dropped the Schick while using it the second day and now suspect that the blade might have gotten bent or nicked someway. After the long stripes on my cheek finally heal, I will put in a new one and try again. I think the narrow slots around the blade might collect more gunk from my Vaseline/Alba dry shave too. It is interesting to see how meny varieties of Schicks there were. From the pictures it's mostly handle changes. I wonder if they really ever changed the head geometry.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Ouchmychin wrote:. . . I think the narrow slots around the blade might collect more gunk from my Vaseline/Alba dry shave too. It is interesting to see how meny varieties of Schicks there were. From the pictures it's mostly handle changes. I wonder if they really ever changed the head geometry.
I used an early model once (G-type, I think) and had to hold it at an acute angle to line it up properly, whereas the later model L's and N's sat at a more "natural" angle for me -- so have to think some quantum geometry magic was going on. I'll admit to being not quite sure if that's the actual case, though. Of course the heads are more compact on the N-type, and these later versions are milder shavers than the older ones, which is a blade-gap change, I'd guess. There was one cream, Trader Joe's lavender (rather than that honey-mango or whatever fruit salad they were pushing before), that gunked up the slot pretty well, but that's the only software that ever caused any nuisance.
Ron
fisherprice

Post by fisherprice »

Thanks for the advice-- there are a few PAL Adjustables up on the 'bay right now, so I put in some bids (don't bid against me! : P ).

Is it becoming a hobby when you vary your routine solely for the sake of varying it?

D.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

fisherprice wrote:Is it becoming a hobby when you vary your routine solely for the sake of varying it?

Hehehehe..... :twisted:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I would imagine something like "skin thinning" would be genetic or dehydration due to lack of water drunken during the day...or..perhaps being a smoker for years..just some ideas.

ST
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

ST, It is usually the result of the razor taking off too much of the skin's surface and is often cumulative.
Regards,
Gordon
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I have an Injector Type N, and even though it comes up only rarely in my rotation of DE, GEM, injector and the occasional, gasp, cartridge [IE 1980 Wilkinson Bonded] razors it surely is the one I would keep if I had to give up all the others. 8)

In fact it just so happens than when I get finishished with my TP 121-3
Gem blade I am currentlly using I plan to shave with the N with three
blades... an ASR drugstore brand from long ago, then number 1 of the
100 Ted Pellas I just bought along with the 200 GEMs and then a
"Chick" from Drugstore.com. I look forward to posting the comparisons.
:)

Alan
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

alcx77 wrote:I have an Injector Type N, it surely is the one I would keep if I had to give up all the others. 8)
Alan
8) 8) 8)

Betcha you'll really like the Chick, Alan!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I tried an experiment with the injector: instead of my Vaseline based waterless shave, I got an old jar of QED Rose/Geranium soap and a stiff Omega pure badger brush. I washed the old way and spent a lot of time working up lather but got plenty. The result surpised me. A great super close shave with no irritation or nicks. The injector with Personna tungsten stainless loved the lather and was far less aggressive than with waterless. So now I have a razor that I can still control and can use my old soaps and brushes without fear. I'll just use the Fatboy/Feather combo for waterless and I have the best of both worlds.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, sounds like a good plan.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

There you go, Pete! Now you've got the Injector in it's element and can see what a finely designed shaving instrument it really is. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

A great super close shave with no irritation or nicks
19 thumbs up to that. Enjoy

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum