Tried Injector Razor Today. Compare to DE's

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Seaking of injectors in general, I wonder why such a utilitarian razor would go out of production? :cry:
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

alcx77 wrote:Seaking of injectors in general, I wonder why such a utilitarian razor would go out of production? :cry:
More money could be made in multiple blades fixed on a plastic head, compared to single blade production. The DE suffered the same fate.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

I picked up a clean PAL injector a few weeks ago and finally got around to ordering some Schick blades. From a price per shave, these are middle of the road.. $4.95 for a pack of seven. Not nearly as green as DE since the injector cart needs to be disposed of, but at least it isn't plastic.

I have about five shaves in so far. First two were at a setting of 1 (Low). Two at a setting of two (Medium) and one one notch higher and every shave has proven to be a joy.

The handle has an interesting triangular shape.. Easy to hold regardless of the direction I am going. The weight is quite nice and there is very little temptation to apply pressure.

As noted elsewhere, the shave angle is self-regulating and the shaves are easily done on "Automatic" though lack of familiarity did render a nice cut on my neck mainly because I couldn't see my left side for proper approach.

Compared to a Gem 1912... The Gem is a much closer shave but requires much more attention. And the slightest pressure leaves me in pain for days. While both are a bit nostalgic, they are born of different era's and conjure very different feelings. The Injector reminds me of my father and the Gem brings visions of turn of the century.. even if the 1912 was made much later.

The injector is a keeper for me.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

GEMs and SEs gave up some real close shaves, but it felt like shaving with a Feather. Too close for comfort. Late-model injectors are a happy middle ground.
Ron
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

rsp1202 wrote:GEMs and SEs gave up some real close shaves, but it felt like shaving with a Feather. Too close for comfort. Late-model injectors are a happy middle ground.
I agree.. I consider my Gem too much of a good thing
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

MikekiM wrote:I picked up a clean PAL injector a few weeks ago and finally got around to ordering some Schick blades. From a price per shave, these are middle of the road.. $4.95 for a pack of seven. Not nearly as green as DE since the injector cart needs to be disposed of, but at least it isn't plastic.

I have about five shaves in so far. First two were at a setting of 1 (Low). Two at a setting of two (Medium) and one one notch higher and every shave has proven to be a joy.

The handle has an interesting triangular shape.. Easy to hold regardless of the direction I am going. The weight is quite nice and there is very little temptation to apply pressure.

As noted elsewhere, the shave angle is self-regulating and the shaves are easily done on "Automatic" though lack of familiarity did render a nice cut on my neck mainly because I couldn't see my left side for proper approach.

Compared to a Gem 1912... The Gem is a much closer shave but requires much more attention. And the slightest pressure leaves me in pain for days. While both are a bit nostalgic, they are born of different era's and conjure very different feelings. The Injector reminds me of my father and the Gem brings visions of turn of the century.. even if the 1912 was made much later.

The injector is a keeper for me.
MikekiM, is this the stainless adjustable PAL? The one that has the ribbed plastic insert for the inner part of the handle and the rest of the razor is stainless steel? If so, it's an excellent razor and built like a tank. Originally, they came with a lifetime warranty. I have one myself and after I finish the rest of the week shaving with the Schick 500, I think I'll drag mine out and give it a whirl.... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

desertbadger wrote: MikekiM, is this the stainless adjustable PAL? The one that has the ribbed plastic insert for the inner part of the handle and the rest of the razor is stainless steel? If so, it's an excellent razor and built like a tank. Originally, they came with a lifetime warranty. I have one myself and after I finish the rest of the week shaving with the Schick 500, I think I'll drag mine out and give it a whirl.... 8)

Regards,
David
Indeed, this is the one!!

Great razor when I want a little bit of change.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think these are the threads with some hints from Themba on how to use the Pal adjustable injector:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5244
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101747

There are probably others, too.