Feather SS 1-year abuse report

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
i_shaved_something

Feather SS 1-year abuse report

Post by i_shaved_something »

I picked up a Feather SS last August, almost a year ago, I've used it exclusively since then, ~5-6 shaves per week. I have hard water and always have problems with soap scum, so much so that I've given up the fight, I just let my razors get dirty and use them, guess I get used to it. I hadn't cleaned or completely dis-assembled the razor since I started using it. I finally broke down tonight and cleaned the razor, I'm happy to say the SS cleans up perfect..looks like brand new, no rust, discoloring, corrosion or any other issues. I think I could use this razor rest of my days if needed, it'll surely outlast me.
Here's a cleaned up pic, I should have taken a 'before' pic, but just image a white scummy razor :). I'm sure it will look that way again soon enough...

Rob
ScottB

Re: Feather SS 1-year abuse report

Post by ScottB »

i_shaved_something wrote:I picked up a Feather SS last August, almost a year ago, I've used it exclusively since then, ~5-6 shaves per week. I have hard water and always have problems with soap scum, so much so that I've given up the fight, I just let my razors get dirty and use them, guess I get used to it. I hadn't cleaned or completely dis-assembled the razor since I started using it. I finally broke down tonight and cleaned the razor, I'm happy to say the SS cleans up perfect..looks like brand new, no rust, discoloring, corrosion or any other issues. I think I could use this razor rest of my days if needed, it'll surely outlast me.
Here's a cleaned up pic, I should have taken a 'before' pic, but just image a white scummy razor :). I'm sure it will look that way again soon enough...

Looks great. How does it shave?

scott
i_shaved_something

Shaves great, best razor I've tried so far, great weight and smooth but not too mild. I mostly use it with Feathers and Super Iridiums so far, no complaints. I highly recommend this razor. I got mine like-new from a member here, so didn't break the bank. No matter what the cost I think it's worth it. Great to see a quality item like this available these days, gotta take advantage!
Also, my main razor before this was an undated 40's SuperSpeed. Another great razor, I'd put this razor on par with that one, but the extra weight just helps make the relatively mild razor work in my opinion.
Rob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rob, Thanks for the one year update. From using it a bit I've little doubt that this razor would last a lifetime. And I agree that it's refreshing to see such a high quality item on the current market. It's pricey but you get something real for what you're paying.
Regards,
Gordon
i_shaved_something

Gordon,
Yes, I'm all about supporting our micro-economy here, I think it's important to sometimes realize that we're lucky to have ANY of these options we've come to enjoy. I'm frankly surprised that the companies that make traditional shave supplies are able to stay in business, but glad they are.

Think about it, in the midst of a world aflood with Mach3s, Fusions, and Dorco 6's, companies such as Feather, Pils and others are making some quality high-end DE's, we are the market, I say we support 'em when can!
Rob
mikey

Post by mikey »

Hello Rob,

This is good news to hear. Now, if I could only justify the price. Let's see:

"one $4 Fusion cartridge per week" x "52 weeks" = "I break even in less than a year"

How's my math?

Thanks,
Mike
i_shaved_something

Ha Mike, I hear you, this is what goes through my mind whenever buy traditional shave stuff...in long run it's always a good deal..not hard to beat the cartridge economics....
Rob
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Super Speed type myself and after only a week with the Feather I agree with Rob's comments. I love the build quality and weight of the Feather and it shaves beautifully with an Iridium or SharpEdge.

Max
Araner

Post by Araner »

Man, I’m so close to pulling the trigger on a Feather Stainless razor it isn’t funny. It’s not the money that’s holding me back, heck my Dunhill wallet cost more than that razor. I’m just tired of falling for the hype of a new product only to find out after making the purchase that the hype was just that, hype. Well, I’m all about honest to goodness quality and I’ve yet to read anywhere in the volumes of reviews on the Feather a single note of criticism on the quality of it. So, there it is, I’ve fully justified buying something that I actually don’t really need; another razor.

Now it’s off to find the vender with the best deal! Ta ta!

Mike
i_shaved_something

Mike,
Only way to try it is to try it! Not sure about 'hype',it is a well built razor, very precise machining and quality that's no hype, whether a great shave for you will be personal preference. Don't expect a wide open razor like a Slant or a Futur on 10. A pretty mild razor with good weight, that with good blades gives a good and consistent result.
Hope works out for you!

Rob
Rob
Araner

Post by Araner »

i_shaved_something wrote:...A pretty mild razor with good weight, that with good blades gives a good and consistent result...

Rob
Hi Rob,

Mild with consistent results is all I need, thanks. BTW, the trigger has been pulled. Now I sit and wait for delivery. :D

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Given that, I think that you will be satisfied. Rest assured, the basic quality is there. I'm not easy to please and I was impressed.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Now I sit and wait for delivery.
mike displaying the smf definition of :restraint :lol: :lol:

mike i think you will really love the razor......use in good health

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Lou

Post by Lou »

Yeah, I'm close to getting one. I've read such glowing praise, and high-end Japanese craftsmanship always impresses me with its form and function.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Just want to second that this is a great razor. I was never into the three-piece DE razors, always preferring the gadgety-ness of a TTO, but the Feather is just perfect, and yes, it always polishes up nicely after getting stained and gunked-up.
Richard
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

As Richard said the TTO's are easier but this is a great one. I've been at this since 17 and I'm in heaven.

Max
strohman

Post by strohman »

Somehow I have managed not to ever see this razor before. That really is a beauty!

I love things that are vintage, and shaving with a razor that is 50+ years old is great, but that being said, I love my Merkur. I want a Muhle R41 (1st version) and that Feather is a beauty!

Some of the razor companies have gotten smart and figured out that men like heavy metal toys like cool looking razors.

I'm going to go check this razor out online somewhere!
Araner

Post by Araner »

My Feather AS arrived today! Take a look at this!

The knurling is perfection.

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Yes. As we said, the build quality and fit and finish are very impressive. With this, you do get something for what you pay. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
dbarc

Post by dbarc »

After reading lots about this razor I finally ordered one and received it yesterday. This morning I popped a new sharp blade in it and took it for a spin. Three passes later, I had a great shave without a lot of work.

Much has been written about how this razor shaves, and I can attest that it's smooth and does not provide lots of auditory feedback. It's also balanced and provides a close shave.

I also believe there is a learning curve with this razor to gain optimum results. All in all, it's a great razor that's found a home with me. :D