Thinking about trying a Progress...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sage

Thinking about trying a Progress...

Post by Sage »

I have been using a Merkur HD for about two months now, and I have become pretty good with it.

So, I have been thinking about trying out an adjustable, to see how it compares. If my current razor is doing the job pretty well, will the extra level of adjustability only make it even better? Or, will the results likely be very similar?

Also, for those with a Progress, how do you like it? The thing I don't like about it is the mechanism on the bottom not being metal, looks kind of cheap. Seems like the only other option is a Gillette adjustable from ebay, but I haven't had the best of luck snagging one in really solid condition.

So, to summarize...will an adjustable gain me anything over my HD? How do those that have the Progress like it? Are there any other adjustables out there, aside from the old Gillettes?

Thanks,
Andy
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I've had a Progress for a few weeks now, and I *love* the little booger!

Although I haven't used a "regular" Merkur razor, I've tried vintage Gillette's and an el-cheapo plastic DE; the Progress lets me "tailor" my shave: I can set it to shave about the same as the Gillette, or even more aggressively if I so choose; then I can "dial down" to a very mild setting for cross-grain/against-grain/cleanup passes. Usually I set it about midpoint ("3" on the 5 point scale) for my N-S and S-N passes, then down to a "1.5" for cross-grain and cleanup.

So I would say if you're getting a great shave with the HD, fine. But if you're having nagging problems with irritation or your cleanup pass, the Progress is hard to beat.

--Mark
Sage

Post by Sage »

mantic wrote:I've had a Progress for a few weeks now, and I *love* the little booger!

Although I haven't used a "regular" Merkur razor, I've tried vintage Gillette's and an el-cheapo plastic DE; the Progress lets me "tailor" my shave: I can set it to shave about the same as the Gillette, or even more aggressively if I so choose; then I can "dial down" to a very mild setting for cross-grain/against-grain/cleanup passes. Usually I set it about midpoint ("3" on the 5 point scale) for my N-S and S-N passes, then down to a "1.5" for cross-grain and cleanup.

So I would say if you're getting a great shave with the HD, fine. But if you're having nagging problems with irritation or your cleanup pass, the Progress is hard to beat.

--Mark
Mark,

Yeah, I usually only do one pass, with the grain. I tried an against the grain 2nd pass once, a few weeks back, and I had some razor burn from it. I wrote it off to still not having the ultra light touch, but maybe the Progress would come in handy for second passes.

Thanks for the advice...

Andy
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Having never used a DE before, I can't comment on that part of it. However, on the razor burn, I read somewhere (think it was on the Wetshaver's board), where an application of shave oil (Pacific Shaving's in particular) virtually eliminated razor burn. Of course, like you said, you may need a lighter touch with the Progress. Let us know how it comes out! I'm buying a couple of Gillette razors from Ben (blackgrass), one adjustable, and one nonadjustable. Who knows, I may move to the Progress soon enuff!

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave