I found a straight razor and have some questions....

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

I found a straight razor and have some questions....

Post by blackgrass »

I found a straight razor yesterday at an antique store and wondered if I made a decent purchase.

It is a Henckels #81, Solingen Steel, the handle is black with the word "Emperior" embossed amongst some design work. It seems to be in pretty good condition except is has a black area on the blade towards the tip where it looks like something has caused a reaction with the steel. Almost looks like the chrome is coming off the blade. Was this steel chrome plated? That would be a new one to me! It has one very small nick in the blade about 1/2 inch in from the tip. I think I would be able to sharpen the nick out or possibly cut 1/2 inch off the tip of the razor. I paid $16.00 for it. I'm not sure if Henckels is a diserable brand or not but their kitchen knives seem to be highly regarded. Well.....how did I do? Did I buy a fancy letter opener? :P
Ben
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Ben, Zwilling Henckels is a VERY desirable brand. I've never heard of anyone chrome-plating a razor. I agree with Chris that the black area is most likely lather-etch. If I were you, I'd ask the guys over at Yahoo's StraightRazorPlace (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/st ... azorplace/) their opinion. If you can, could you post a pic(s)?

~Tim :wink:

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
jhco50
Sixshooter

Post by jhco50 »

I'm from yahoo groups/straightrazors forum, but I can give you some idea on how to clean it. They make a polish called Maas. It is an excellent product that will help take any stains out as well as polish. If you have a dremmel tool you can cruise through the process with ease. Never let the dremel turn against the edge or it will grab and at the very least take a chunk out of the blade.