Quit Searching?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
stagger

Quit Searching?

Post by stagger »

I quit searching for "the perfect setup" when I found the following:

Semogue 1305 brush
Gillette Tech razor
Treet Dura Sharp blades
Tabac shave soap
TOBS Rose cream

No need for me to look for something better as these products give me a bbs shave every time with no irritation. By the way, irritation is what got me started in "old fashioned" shaving in the first place. So, how many of you have found the perfect combination for your skin and have quit searching? Just curious...
Regards,
Mark -
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

tulip 3, merkur /merkur, and trumpers rose for me

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Re: Quit Searching?

Post by Odio Barbillas »

stagger wrote:I quit searching for "the perfect setup" ...
You'll be back! :twisted:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
ateace

Post by ateace »

It's nice to find the setup that you want to use every day, especially with all the temptations that surround us!
function

Post by function »

The only thing better than finding happiness in a setup is the process of finding happiness in a setup.
It can be just as rewarding to learn that I can't use a certain razor well or a certain black just stinks for me as it can be to use the Crystals over and over again, especially with the fear of another shavepocalypse.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Mark. It's to your credit that you've been able to settle on a small group of items that work so well for you. I'm not sure that I can do that. So far, I've been able to winnow the products down to small groups that work well with one another, and I make my daily selection from within those small groups. I believe the groups are capable of being further reduced from within through the process of gradually using them up and deciding not to replace them. Accumulating sufficient backups for the ones that get used up and promptly replenished are a whole different situation, however.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Vaseline
Bic disposable
windshield scraper

:D
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I can imagine your satisfaction in finding the "perfect" setup. However, part of the enjoyment for me is the experimentation and discovery, the fascination of trying and comparing various products. After all, if you've found the "perfect" collection, then why even come back to the forum at all....
_______
John
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

stagger wrote:I quit searching for "the perfect setup" when I found the following:

Semogue 1305 brush
Gillette Tech razor
Treet Dura Sharp blades
Tabac shave soap
TOBS Rose cream

No need for me to look for something better as these products give me a bbs shave every time with no irritation. By the way, irritation is what got me started in "old fashioned" shaving in the first place. So, how many of you have found the perfect combination for your skin and have quit searching? Just curious...
I certainly stopped looking at new brushes after getting the 1305 and one of the big Omega boars. I think I need to try the TOBS rose cream too.

Scott
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John I expect we return to discuss our findings.
Regards,
Squire
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

stagger wrote:I quit searching for "the perfect setup" when I found the following:

Semogue 1305 brush
Gillette Tech razor
Treet Dura Sharp blades
Tabac shave soap
TOBS Rose cream

No need for me to look for something better as these products give me a bbs shave every time with no irritation..
Hi there,

Before I answer your question, let me just set things up a little bit. I don't know how many different things you've tried in the past, but I'm hoping it's a lot. Lots of different razors, many different blades, and lots of soaps/creams. If that's the case and you arrived where you did, then that's fine. Otherwise, you could be missing quite a bit.

I found my perfect soap and razor/blade set up long ago, and sometimes even now (rarely) when trying something new I find something just as good. I will always try a new to me blade or razor......only takes a little while to know if it's worth using more than once.

Martin
Araner

Post by Araner »

I have a sort of perfect setup.

The razor and blade are set: Gillette New (short comb) – Derby blade

The soap is set: Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad shaving soap

The brush is the biggest variable; I have several and use them as the mood strikes:
Savile Row 1824 pure badger brush (24mm knot)
Savile Row 2824 best badger brush (24mm knot)
Savile Row 2422 best badger brush (22mm knot)
Savile Row 3126 silvertip badger brush (26mm knot)
Savile Row 3722 silvertip badger brush (22mm knot)
Savile Row 3324 silvertip badger brush (24mm knot)
Omega 49 boar brush

The after shave depends on the weather:
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue in warm weather
Aqua Velva Musk in cooler weather

If I use cologne it’s Caswell-Massey’s Lime cologne

I still experiment occasionally with a different product/item and that usually confirms that what I have listed above is just right for me.

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mark, All the stuff I use with any regularity fits into that category for me. Check my SOTD posts for the details.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mark, that's a very good kit.

I don't have mine quite that simple, but my basic setup is the following, with some minor variation. I stick to established favorites now and am well stocked up for the future. I have little interest in further experimentation with new products.

Edwin Jagger DE87 razor
Treet Dura Sharp blade (some variation here; vintage blades lately)

Semogue badger with Art of Shaving/Valobra hard soap
Semogue boar with Cella soft soap

Thayer's Witch Hazel Astringent (Original, Peach, or Lemon)

- Murray
stagger

Post by stagger »

Squire wrote:John I expect we return to discuss our findings.
Thank you Squire. You said it perfectly.
Regards,
Mark -
stagger

Post by stagger »

L. Martino wrote:

Semogue 1305 brush
Gillette Tech razor
Treet Dura Sharp blades
Tabac shave soap
TOBS Rose cream

No need for me to look for something better as these products give me a bbs shave every time with no irritation..
Hi there,

Before I answer your question, let me just set things up a little bit. I don't know how many different things you've tried in the past, but I'm hoping it's a lot. Lots of different razors, many different blades, and lots of soaps/creams. If that's the case and you arrived where you did, then that's fine. Otherwise, you could be missing quite a bit.

I found my perfect soap and razor/blade set up long ago, and sometimes even now (rarely) when trying something new I find something just as good. I will always try a new to me blade or razor......only takes a little while to know if it's worth using more than once.

Martin
Before finding the set up that is perfect for me, I tried probably 15-20 blades and around 10-15 different soaps and creams, and 8 different razors. Most of the things I tried were mentioned on here by the way. And, although I didn't mention it in my original post, on days when I have extra time and really want to pamper my face I break out my straight. Always a great shave. What makes this all the more perfect is that my wife knows what I use and love and buys gifts accordingly.
Regards,
Mark -
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pauldog wrote:Vaseline
Bic disposable
windshield scraper

:D
Paul, I'm impressed. But, why not eliminate the first two and just go with the scraper? Do you want guys to think you're some kind of sissy? :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:Mark, that's a very good kit.

I don't have mine quite that simple, but my basic setup is the following, with some minor variation. I stick to established favorites now and am well stocked up for the future. I have little interest in further experimentation with new products.

Edwin Jagger DE87 razor

- Murray
Murray, It makes sense that sooner or later we reach the conclusion that we've been there and done that already. I guess some say that reaching the destination is what it's all about, and others will say that it's the journey that counts. Sometimes I'm with the first group, and other times I'm hunting again. I think we're fortunate that we can move freely from one to the other, or we can stop at any point that seems comfortable.
Gary

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I've tried quite a number of things since the first of the year, but it's been a long time since I first tried Cella, Gillette 1948 Super Speed, 7 O'Clock blacks and Koh-i-Noor SC 68 boar brush, and they have been my tops for quite some time.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:
CMur12 wrote:Mark, that's a very good kit.

Edwin Jagger DE87 razor

- Murray
Murray, It makes sense that sooner or later we reach the conclusion that we've been there and done that already. I guess some say that reaching the destination is what it's all about, and others will say that it's the journey that counts. Sometimes I'm with the first group, and other times I'm hunting again. I think we're fortunate that we can move freely from one to the other, or we can stop at any point that seems comfortable.
Hi Gary -

I'm frankly embarrassed over what I have spent on shaving over the last few years! More recently, I have built up stockpiles of favorite expendables, while experimentation has slowed way down. Most recently, I tried and bought a good supply of Personna blades for Hospital Use.

Though it wasn't my original intent to do anything of the sort, I screamed down that slippery slope of search for the perfect brush, the perfect soap, the perfect razor, and the perfect blade. Right now, I feel like I have found them, and, while I don't doubt that there are other wonderful products out there, I'm really content with what I have. Anyone who should gaze upon my collection of tools and my stockpile of expendables will behold an embarrassment of riches. :)

- Murray