Merkur w/ Slant Bar

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jwhjr

Merkur w/ Slant Bar

Post by jwhjr »

My wife just bought me a Merkur CC 198 DE that has a slant bar. Are there advantages to having a slant bar? I'm new to wetshaving so would it be easier to learn on a razor with a straight bar? Thanks for all of the info over the past couple of weeks!

jwhjr
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

JW. Although the Merkur slant bar is sometimes touted as being for more sensitive skin, I found it to be a very 'aggressive' razor. Personally, I would not choose it for a new DE shaver to learn on. Some less experianced shavers have even nicked themselves with them. I don't mean to come across as pessamistic, and I'm certainly not trying to scare you, but the slant bar IS best used by someone with some DE experiance. I've shaved with DE razors for a very long time, so I had no difficulty using the slant bar, per se, but, while it gave me an exremely close shave, it was too much for my somewhat sensitive skin. I never managed a complete shave without at least a little irritation. As far as the Merkurs go, I think that one of the regular models, with a safety bar, would be a better, safer, choice. Regards, Gordon
jwhjr

Post by jwhjr »

Thanks for the info Gordon!