Lord Racer Blue Box Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Lord Racer Blue Box Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

From the Lord group in Egypt we have this stand alone brand in a blue box. There is another Racer brand in a silver box.

Description: These blades present in a cardboard box illustrated with a man dressed in racing togs, apparently in mid-stride.

The blade comes double wrapped with the usual glue spots.

Characteristics: The blade is labeled 'Super Stainless', presumably to differentiate it from ordinary stainless. I notice it doesn't have the 1-2-3-4 markings that seem prevalent on blades made around the World.

There seems to be a transition horizontal bar between the table and first grind. Something to do with the manufacturing process I guess. There are two long sloping grind lines down to the final hone, which itself is fairly long compared to a number of other blades I've looked at up close.

Use: The blades were used twice a day in five different razors, Gillettes Knack, Super Adjustable, Schick Krona, Jagger Chatsworth, and Futur. The blades did not perform as well as I would have liked in the fixed head razors but did well in the two adjustables. This is also a pattern I've found with the dozen or so different variants of Lord blades I've used so far. Further Lord reviews will follow.

Conclusion: These are a cut above the usual run of Lord blades. They are not the sharpest of the lot but are noticeably better than most. As near as I can determine Lord makes four different grades of blades but the differences in some are so small I will use three classifications for review purposes.

Rating: In the right razor these are good blades, rated 6.35.
Regards,
Squire
druphus

Post by druphus »

Thanks Squire! Informative as always.

I'm waiting for your review of the blue box gillettes!
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They're in line Andy I just want to get some of the backlog out of the way first. I can say the Gillette blues are good ones.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

These Racer blades have some of my favorite packaging: I like the old-school runner. The blades...well, I'd rate them about where you do, Squire. They can give me a good shave in an aggressive razor, and they are smooth, but they aren't as sharp as I'd really prefer.

Thanks for another great review!

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Although I don't use Lord blades, I appreciate all of your reviews. Thanks!
_______
John
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Great to see you back reviewing blades, Squire!

Giovanni once told me that Lord makes only four different blades, with multiple packagings.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, I believe that's correct. I mentioned that to Giovanni and he agreed. I'm going to try three grades for the time being.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

thanks !

Post by malocchio »

great in depth review...love the microscope photos,they truly reveal a lot of detail.I use the racers in the silver box. they seem to be a good ,but not great blade,and as others have said,they work better in an aggressive razor. for me the weight of the ej chatsworth and gillette big boy do the trick,and this blade lasts for 3 shaves with no problems.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Squire, ya done good once more! :D

Thanks for the informative review!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Thanks, Squire, great to see you reviewing again.