Favorite Adjustable Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BullGoose
Vendor

Favorite Adjustable Razors

Post by BullGoose » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:23 am

Although much of the talk on the forums centers on the Gillette Slim and the Gillette Fatboy, they are way down my list of favorite adjustables. My favorites, in order, are:

1) Merkur Futur - Delivers a great shave every time

2) Apollo Mikron -A very heavy/solid razor that is a bit quirky but is a great shaver.

3) Schick Adjustable Injector -great for those days when you are in a rush

4) Gillette Slim Adjustable -A workhorse

5) Merkur Progress -similar to the Mikron but not as heavy/solid

6) Merkur Vision - delivers a very close shave and has the cool factor but I simply found it too big to be practical.

7) Gillette Fatboy -As much as I tried to like it, it just did not work well for me. I have owned three and have sold each one. The Fatboy comes in a distant 7th.

What makes your list?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Czech & Speake, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper, D.R. Harris, Kent, Edwin Jagger and More

- Phil

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 am

These are the 3 adjustables I use regularly ---
  • 1. Gillette Slim - My old original razor. It gives a great shave every time.
    2. Merkur Progress LH - One sweet instrument! This replaced the Futur in my den.
    3. Schick M1 - World class razor. I love everything about it.
These 2 adjustables aren't regularly used ---
  • 1. Pal - A bit too mild even on the highest setting, even though I really like the weight and balance. The adjustment mechanism was poorly engineered, unfortunately.
    2. Gillette Fatboy - I haven't found its sweet spot, maybe I should take another look at it one of these days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Schick Injector M

Merkur Futur

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Gillette Super and Merkur Futur. I like them equally but the Futur shaves close with a wider range of blades.
Regards,
Squire

glassmtn

Post by glassmtn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:04 pm

1. Futur - My favorite razor. Period.
2. Mergress - Better balanced than the Progress
3. Vision - Great shaves. A little too much maintenance.

eric

mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Progress: Will be pried from my cold, dead fingers.
Vision: Gives me a great shave but rediculously over-engineered and fragile at the same time.
Futur: I can't hold it steadily enough because of its handle to get a consistant shave.
Fat Boy: Not for me.

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:43 pm

1. Gillette Slim
2. Gillette Fatboy
3. Gillette Slim Super (the razor with the long, black handle; the longer handle gives a nice balance, for me; highly recommended)

V/R
Ed

LeGaulois

Post by LeGaulois » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am

1 - Vision
2 - Futur
3 - Gillette Super
4 - Mergress

changabang

Post by changabang » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:42 am

The original Schick M-2 I bought while attending college in the mid sixties would have to be my favorite.
I don't think I can commit to an adjustable DE in terms of favorites. In all cases, I don't like either the shave or the handle, or both.
James Nicks

marsos52

Post by marsos52 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 am

futur is the bomb

best shaver ever,,12 years and still the best i have ever used

marc

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:22 am

I don't favour any of the following over another -- but do own one of each:
Fatboy
SuperSlim (black handeld)
Slim
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

Seamaster

Post by Seamaster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:51 am

I haven't found a single adjustable yet that gives me as good a shave as my fixed head razors (HD, Slant).

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:17 pm

My LH Super Adjustable is the only vintage razor I'm keeping.

OTOH, I have never tried a Merkur adjustable. Given how happy I am with my R89 and Chatsworth with the identical head, I don't foresee purchasing a Merkur or any other razor anytime soon. That said, I do like the look of the Progress a great deal.

As for adjustables I have tried, the Fatboy was just so-so for me, and the Slim adjustable, while better-balanced, didn't have the perfect combination of handle length, head weight, and blade gap that my long-handled Super adjustable delivers. I used it exclusively for almost a year and could go back to it without feeling I was missing anything.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

J T

Post by J T » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Futur - there is no second
~ Jack

BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:41 pm

TRBeck wrote:My LH Super Adjustable is the only vintage razor I'm keeping.

Regards,
I have never used a Super Adjustable and just kind of assumed it would be the same as a Gillette Slim. Maybe I need to acquire another razor. :D
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Czech & Speake, Taylor of Old Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper, D.R. Harris, Kent, Edwin Jagger and More

- Phil

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I have a couple of Fatboys, an Aristocrat Adjustable, a Slim, and a Super Adjustable (short black handle, but still longer than I like it), but I have amazingly never tried any of them. Once I settled in to three-piece razors, I never gave further consideration to TTOs of any type. I still keep them around, just in case, though.

I have tried a Schick M Adjustable, which seems to be either mild or aggressive, with no in between, and I liked it. The Schick M is probably the adjustable I'm most likely to use.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:10 pm

Phil,

The head geometry is the same .However, the long handle affects the balance of the razor, much like it does on a Chatsworth. It shaves more effortlessly, and the long handle suits my hand.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau

BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:28 pm

TRBeck wrote:Phil,

The head geometry is the same .However, the long handle affects the balance of the razor, much like it does on a Chatsworth. It shaves more effortlessly, and the long handle suits my hand.

Regards,
Thank you for the info Tim. I may have to seek one out and scratch that itch. :lol:

- Phil

Nick Freeh

Post by Nick Freeh » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

1. Futur (my all-time favorite)

2. Progress XL

3. Slim (one of my first razors when I was just starting to shave, and I still like it a lot)

--Vance