Info needed re: Muhle R41

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Post by brothers »

We'll be eager to find out how your first shave goes SD.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Got an email that the R41 Grande is now available.
brothers

Post by brothers »

itsmedave wrote:Got an email that the R41 Grande is now available.
What's the Grande?

Here's the answer:

The GRANDE version features a longer and wider handle than the original version. This model also fits our RHM SR safety razor stand

measurements: L 107 mm, B 53 mm - diameter of handle 14 mm

weight: 80 g
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Couldn't resist. I ordered the Grande last night.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Santa delivered the R41 on Christmas Eve and we open gifts on the Eve so I have it in hand.

Tomorrow will be the first shave, but I played with it a bit on my dry face to determine the right angle. It appears to be more like a SE razor angle than DE angle in that a shallower angle to the skin seems to be in order. But I'm not conscious of angle when I use either a DE or SE razor. I auto adjust so that the razor works- my assumption is that I do it by sound and feel, but frankly I don't know precisely.

I don't think I'll do any more dry shaving with it though. The thin DE blade chatters a bit too much with this amount of blade exposure on dry skin. No blood or anything even close, but I'll wait for the lubrication that the lather will provide in the morning.

First impression of the handle is that I expect to change it if I like the shave the R41 provides. I expect it'll be slippery for me with the way I hold a razor, and it feels way too large (length and diameter). But I'm going to keep an open mind and try it for a while. But I know what I like in a handle and this doesn't feel like it. But that's extremely easy to change.

It may sound like I'm unhappy with it before my first shave... not so. I knew what the razor was, what I like, and was aware of the possibilities. That's all that I'm discussing here.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

ShadowsDad wrote:Santa delivered the R41 on Christmas Eve and we open gifts on the Eve so I have it in hand.

Tomorrow will be the first shave, but I played with it a bit on my dry face to determine the right angle. It appears to be more like a SE razor angle than DE angle in that a shallower angle to the skin seems to be in order. But I'm not conscious of angle when I use either a DE or SE razor. I auto adjust so that the razor works- my assumption is that I do it by sound and feel, but frankly I don't know precisely.

I don't think I'll do any more dry shaving with it though. The thin DE blade chatters a bit too much with this amount of blade exposure on dry skin. No blood or anything even close, but I'll wait for the lubrication that the lather will provide in the morning.

First impression of the handle is that I expect to change it if I like the shave the R41 provides. I expect it'll be slippery for me with the way I hold a razor, and it feels way too large (length and diameter). But I'm going to keep an open mind and try it for a while. But I know what I like in a handle and this doesn't feel like it. But that's extremely easy to change.

It may sound like I'm unhappy with it before my first shave... not so. I knew what the razor was, what I like, and was aware of the possibilities. That's all that I'm discussing here.
The handle is rather slippery. I'd suggest a new handle as well. I held it much in the same way I held my SE razor. I think you'll enjoy it. I sold my R41 to get the Grande, but the handle on it was far too big. I plan on getting another one with some Christmas money.
brothers

Post by brothers »

They should sell the handles without heads for those of us who are not fanatic about using the original handle with the original head. Who needs more than one identical head?
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

With some of the horror stories I've read about this razor I entered into todays shave with a small amount of anxiety. The anxiety was a complete waste of time. If one loves to use an aggressive razor, the shave this razor produces will be worth the purchase price IMO. If one can't use an aggressive razor, this one will be a horror show. It is possibly the most aggressive razor I own, and I have a few aggressive razors.

Well, let me cut to the chase, I absolutely loved the shave! As I previously wrote, the razor angle with any razor is pretty much set to "auto" in my brain. My hand/brain work together to make the angle right, and I don't do anything regarding angle on a conscious level. so I can't tell if it was more or less than either a SE or DE.

Todays shave was on a par or better than the best shave I've ever gotten with any razor. 2 passes with minor touch-up for a BBS.

I thought the handle would be a problem, and while I'm not in love with it, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It sure is a handsome razor, and so is the handle. My concern wasn't from it's looks. In use I can live with the handle. It's a fairly large handle.

Dave, I can't imagine what the Grande was like. This handle is all I want and smaller would be OK too, for me.

I think it's the noisiest DE razor I own. But all that blade exposure means a good amount of the blade is available as a sound board. It isn't as noisy as a SE, but the sound is very noticeable.

Mine came in from Connault (sp?) shaving and they included a pack of my favorite blades, Gillette 7:00 Yellows, so I used one for the inaugural shave. A Derby was also in the box with the razor.

I'm keeping this razor. FWIW, it's the only modern razor I own.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I figured you'd enjoy it. It's easily tops among modern DE razors at least to me. I think I'll probably end up getting one from connaught again and get a custom handle for it as well. Wait till you get a bit more proficient with it and you'll be even more amazed. It sings with aggressive blades. I tried mine with all sorts of blades but Feathers, Med Preps, and Gillette Yellows seem to work best.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, it is an excellent razor, isn't it? I had the same impression as yours after I'd used it several times in rotation with others, not as aggressive, and a few straight razors thrown in. Then when I decided it was going to be my every day razor for a little while, my face ended up being painful after about 3 or 4 consecutive days, and I had to skip shaving for a couple of days for healing time. It never was the same for me after that, and I regrettably just sold it. I had added some weight to the handle, and was really proud of it, overall. I'll be interested in your experience, if you find yourself using it daily for a few days.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I pretty much don't use any razor every day unless I'm blade testing. I have far too many razors and I like them all. Yes, I can absolutely understand how, if the R41 was used everyday, it would become "bothersome". I can't see that happening for me though. Allow me to explain.

Basically the only morning shave item that I have "locked in" is the brush, and even that isn't locked in. I have my standard brushes in order and every day I grab the next one in it's turn (check my SOTD posts), but I've been known to insert a brush into the rotation on whim and I've been known to use a brush twice in a row, again at whim or to duplicate a shave during the testing of something. Recently I did that for the G-Bar and Featherweight review in order to refresh my mind about the razors and to keep everything fair. I choose a soap at my whim, and I can have a DE and SE blade both "going" at the same time. Again, at my whim I choose the blade and then the razor based on the blade. Unless I'm blade testing I almost never choose the same razor or blade 2 days consecutively. It's entirely possible for me to use a DE or SE blade for many days in a row, but 99% of the time it's in a different razor.

I simply can't see me ever deciding to use one razor every day. That'd just be too boring for me. Heck, it'd be like going back to cartridges... just getting the job done with nothing of interest going on.

Too, there are some days when I want my face to take a break and days like that exist for a Tech or SuperSpeed. Those days also fine tune my "auto angle finder" since they really require a precise angle to work as they should.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, that's the way I like to do it too, every day is a different razor under normal circumstances, unless it was an experiment. I was pretty happy with the R41 toothcomb, and wanted to find out what it was like every day, and unfortunately, I didn't anticipate or like the answer I got. Maybe I should have just kept the razor, but it seems I didn't like the feel of it anymore, so off it went.
Gary

SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Brian & Dave:
How does the shave experience with the R41 compare to the OCMM or other SEs? I've read some reviews that say the R41 is a rough shaver. After using some Feathers in a Slim @9 I definitely get a smoother shaving experience from the sharper feather blade than I do from any of my SEs while the results are both good. I enjoyed the smoother shaving experience, but I don't want to lose the efficiency of my SEs so I'm still a bit torn on the R41.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Brian, the R41 is the most aggressive DE razor I have ever used, maybe the most aggressive razor of any that I've used. It's more like an extremely aggressive SE razor in use, but the angle is pure DE. It's been awhile since I've used the OCMM, but I think it's more aggressive than the OCMM. It's easily as efficient as the OCMM.

I have yet to see any blood with it at all. Pay attention to technique and you'll be fine with it. Get sloppy and I have no doubt it'll bite.

Every day that I pick up the R41 I know intellectually that I like the razor and can handle it, but question if I want to do this. Then I'm into the shave and all thoughts of that nature disappear into shaving oneness with the razor and blade. I don't go through that anxiety with any other razor. Could it be the hype I've read? The head itself? I dunno.

It's a superb razor. I think I shaved with it yesterday and posted in the SOTD, or was it the day before? The blade was even on it's last legs and it was fine. If my R41 bit the dust tomorrow I'd have another on it's way to me the same day.

Just don't emulate this gent! It's long and it takes 6 minutes for him to get going, but I think it's a hoot. Can you say denial!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswqKh20 ... ata_player
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

SharpSpine wrote:Brian & Dave:
How does the shave experience with the R41 compare to the OCMM or other SEs? I've read some reviews that say the R41 is a rough shaver. After using some Feathers in a Slim @9 I definitely get a smoother shaving experience from the sharper feather blade than I do from any of my SEs while the results are both good. I enjoyed the smoother shaving experience, but I don't want to lose the efficiency of my SEs so I'm still a bit torn on the R41.
Have you bought an R41 yet? If not, I'll be glad to send mine down the interstate to you for a test run. I like my R41 much more than my Open Comb. I like my R41 so much that I ordered a new handle for it from Bob's Razor Works. For quite a while, it was my daily shaver, but now I mix in Gillette News, Old Types, OCMM, and soon a R89 Fatip
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

I understand that it's an aggressive/efficient razor & it can give some glass smooth shaves. My question is in regards to the act of shaving with it. Does it glide through the hair & across the skin or is it a bit rough? I've read quite a few reviews saying things like if you enjoy the shave as much as the results then the R41 isn't for you. Since you two gentleman like similar razors to me I am confident that your opinion would help me out a lot.

Dave, I know I turned down your offer before but I may just have to take you up on it before I pull the trigger on it.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hmm, I think I know what you mean.

Yes, it almost feels like it's chattering across the skin at times. I think that might be the blade flexing. At least that's what I assumed it was. If ever a razor should have a thicker SE blade in it, this is it.

The only other time I felt anything like it, and what I'm thinking of was the same feeling multiplied by 10, was when I deliberately loosened the TTO knob on my Slim when it was set to 9. I wanted a more aggressive shave and that's one very easy way to get it with a TTO. I loosened it too much, or the blade was flexing, or both. I didn't see any blood that time either, but I never did it again. It felt really strange, like the razor itself was out of control. I don't think I finished the shave because of the way it felt. (It's been awhile) I know you have a Slim, so you can simulate what I did to get an idea of what I'm writing about. Thr R41 feels something like that, just not to the same degree, not even close. I feel it mostly on the first pass, after that either I don't notice it or it's gone.

If you have the option of borrowing one before buying, that's what I'd do. If you want new, then get it from Connaught, if you don't like it you can sell it and someone will definitely snatch it up in a heartbeat. Connaughts prices are lower than anything you'll find on the sell/trade forum here or anywhere else, so I can't imagine you not getting your money back.
Brian

itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

SharpSpine wrote:I understand that it's an aggressive/efficient razor & it can give some glass smooth shaves. My question is in regards to the act of shaving with it. Does it glide through the hair & across the skin or is it a bit rough? I've read quite a few reviews saying things like if you enjoy the shave as much as the results then the R41 isn't for you. Since you two gentleman like similar razors to me I am confident that your opinion would help me out a lot.

Dave, I know I turned down your offer before but I may just have to take you up on it before I pull the trigger on it.
That is fine. Just pay shipping both ways and we are good.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

FWIW, the Weber handle is great with the R41 head. Nice grippy knurling on the stainless steel.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks BBQnCigars! I think I'll inquire about ordering one.
Brian