Feather All Stainless DE

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
desmoface

Feather All Stainless DE

Post by desmoface »

Looks as good as everyone says. Now, if it shave as good as it looks, I'll be very, very happy. Speaking of looks:

Anyone know if there is any difference between these two blades?

Can't wait to give this baby a try.

Steve
Last edited by desmoface on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brucered

Post by brucered »

very nice...it was my 1st BIG shaving purchase and i don't regret it for a minute. you'll love it once you figure out the angle, it's steeper, but don't give up, it takes a few shaves to get it down, but once you do, it's a pleasure to shave with.

as for the blades, it's just packaging. 1 is for N/A, 1 is for Asia...other theory is 1 is 5pk, 1 is 10

but either way, they are the SAME blade and work wonders in the Feather AS-D1 as it's a milder razor, so a nice sharp blade works perfect in it.
Elephants never forget!
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Bruce, thanks for the info. I'll be giving this baby a run in the next couple of days...

Steve
KM-INSTRUCTOR

Post by KM-INSTRUCTOR »

Very nice Steve, like Bruce mentioned once you get that angle down pat, I think you'll find this to be an exceptional shaving tool.
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Guess I should have read this card a little closer, explains that the blades are the same.

Steve
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Thanks, KM. I'm looking forward to practice, LOL..

Steve
KM-INSTRUCTOR wrote:Very nice Steve, like Bruce mentioned once you get that angle down pat, I think you'll find this to be an exceptional shaving tool.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

How aggressive are these? I think after I get all my selling done I might pick one up.
RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

I love shaving with the Feather AS-D1, like the others said, once you get the angle right, it's awesome. Love the fact it's built like a tank.
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Is that you, Dave? LOL.. It's apparently a very mild razor, probably to compensate for the unforgiving, sharp nature of the Feather blades.

As far as picking one up, I think I found the last one in NA. I wonder if the earthquake in Japan has anything to do with the scarcity of these beautiful instruments? Nonetheless, I feel very fortunate to have found one.

Steve
itsmedave wrote:How aggressive are these? I think after I get all my selling done I might pick one up.
brucered

Post by brucered »

itsmedave wrote:How aggressive are these? I think after I get all my selling done I might pick one up.
more agressive then a Blue Tip, less aggressive then the EJ89 series...

sorry, with my limited use of razors, that's the best i can describe it.

you can still get a BBS with it, but it takes some time to figure out the angle.

when you 1st shave with it, be very very quite, and you can hear it mowing down the razors.

it's a fantastic razor.
Elephants never forget!
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Bruce hit the nail on the head with his description. I have to say that upon my initial use, my impressions mirror what others say about this razor: It's very mild. The angle of attack with this razor is critical to a good shave. My initial shave wasn't bad, but not what I usually get with my other razors (Merkur HD and EJ 89). I kind of expected this as I researched this razor fairly extensively before my purchase - I'm going to tough it out though, tweak my technique, and hopefully this will become a standout for me. It's definitely going to take more work than my other 2 razor's though, and so far, I think my EJ offers the best shaving experience of my 3 de's.

Steve
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

To me it felt much like a Gillette Tech as far as aggressiveness, but perhaps more efficient (it shaved a little closer than it felt). In the end, it just didn't work for me. A pity too as it's an awesome piece of machinery.
--------------------------
-Moe
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Enjoy and use in good health!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Hi Clive, thanks.

Steve
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

in both cases, YES! You will be a happy camper
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
Obie

Post by Obie »

Gentlemen,
Through the years I have had the pleasure and the displeasure of scores of double edge razors. The Feather all stainless falls comfortably in the pleasure class. What a delightful razor. It is beautifully balanced, with impeccable workmanship, and the shave is as sweet as good mood.
Obie Yadgar
obieyadgar.com
brucered

Post by brucered »

timthepenman wrote:in both cases, YES! You will be a happy camper
pretty sure the OP sold the feather already :cry:
Elephants never forget!
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

brucered wrote:
The O.P. sold the razor after a mere 2 shaves with it. :shock: :shock:

So much for toughing it out. :roll: :roll:
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

michiganlover wrote:
brucered wrote:
The O.P. sold the razor after a mere 2 shaves with it. :shock: :shock:

So much for toughing it out. :roll: :roll:
Eh. For me, certain items require immediate attachment. I never felt anything but utter joy using my Duke 3, for instance, and haven't had the same immediate love for a brush since. Thus continued buying and selling of brushes. I can see a DE being the same way. Some things can grow on you. Some things you know never will. No sense hanging on if you've got something that satisfies you more, as Steve's EJ does him.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brucered

Post by brucered »

TRBeck wrote: Eh. For me, certain items require immediate attachment. I never felt anything but utter joy using my Duke 3, for instance, and haven't had the same immediate love for a brush since. Thus continued buying and selling of brushes. I can see a DE being the same way. Some things can grow on you. Some things you know never will. No sense hanging on if you've got something that satisfies you more, as Steve's EJ does him.

Regards,
agreed...if you know you aren't going, might as well pass it along and use the funds for something else.

heck, i've sold stuff before i even used it, because i changed my mind and didn't want to give it a chance :oops:
Elephants never forget!