iKon, why won't you let me love you?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
dadsoldmug

iKon, why won't you let me love you?

Post by dadsoldmug »

I work daily with surgical instruments. I know what high-quality, high-functioning workmanship looks and feels like. Since I bought my first DE razor -- a Merkur 34C -- I realized that what I really wanted was an heirloom quality DE razor.

Based on the hooplah, I've now ordered two iKon razors and gotten two unsatisfactory razors. And I don't think i've set my bar unrealistically high. The first time I orderd an iKon was back in late 2009. I ordered directly from Greg and got what in my opinion was a poor-quality razor, given the way the coverplate on the head seated on the combs. I'll include pictures. Greg refunded my money and offered straightaway to sell me another razor . . . but I was too gun-shy to risk it.

So . . . after two years of hearing rave reviews of iKons, I decided I'd risk it again. I ordered an H20 and got, yet again, poor quality. I didn't order this one straight from Greg, as I hoped a retailer would perhaps inspect each piece or in some other way have more quality control. I won't list that retailer's name here.

Again, I got poor quality. Again, i got great customer service and the offer to refund or replace. Refund yes. Replace? No. I don't trust the iKon name anymore. For a company that advertises on an ebay auction with an opening bid of $1500 for a DE razor, "we ALWAYS deliver high quality," I can only say that I've risked a lot of money on iKon razors and been thoroughly disappointed twice.

Fool me once, iKon, shame on you. Fool me twice . . . Well, you fooled me twice too. Shame on me.

Pureslab

Re: iKon, why won't you let me love you?

Post by Pureslab »

Sorry that you received a razor that looks as if is was crushed in transit - it sure did not leave my hands that way.

As always and as you also noted when you bought a very early example iKon directly from me, if you receive a razor and are not happy with it , you are immediately given a refund - this is and always has been my policy - regardless of the 100's of iKon's razors that are now sold thru authorized vendors.

dadsoldmug wrote: I can only say that I've risked a lot of money on iKon razors and been thoroughly disappointed twice.

Fool me once, iKon, shame on you. Fool me twice . . . Well, you fooled me twice too. Shame on me.

PT

Post by PT »

Well at this point I doubt he would ever try to order iKon again or recommend it to anyone.
paddy

Post by paddy »

i always thought that ikons were far too overpriced and so i never even have come close to buying one.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
timthepenman

Post by timthepenman »

Wow, that would suck big time! Nothing worse than the disappointment especially after anticipating a great razor after all the hooplah!

You did however receive a refund, so that showed good form on the vendor's part.

I, on the other hand have had nothing but great success with my S3S razor. Steep price, but worth it & comparible to my Feather SS which is in the same realm.

I really do like the iKon ......I even retro-fit one of my Merkur's with a Bulldog handle.

Kudo's to Greg for standing behind his product......(just as one would expect).
Tim
fall down 7, get up 8 !
brucered

Post by brucered »

i'd stick with a FEATHER.
Last edited by brucered on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elephants never forget!
PT

Post by PT »

And elephants never forget.
brucered

Post by brucered »

PT wrote:And elephants never forget.
usually :wink:
Last edited by brucered on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elephants never forget!
brucered

Post by brucered »

edited post as to not air my disgruntled feelings publicly on the forum...it's not fair to SMF and the community.
Last edited by brucered on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elephants never forget!
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

grow up Bruce ,

we are all adult's here .

I hope.
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

I sure would like to have an iKon razor. If you have been offered a replacement or refund, I don't understand what the big deal is. I have read great reviews about iKon razors, and will continue to base my opinion on those reviews. I am happy that we continue to have companies like iKon giving us extra options. It may be too expensive for my pockets, but iKon surely has the right to charge what the market will bear, and I prefer having more than less options in the marketplace - competition only improves the products available to us.
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

Actually the author of the original post is 100% correct.

He should have never gotten a razor that somehow gotten damaged so badly.

I don't feel good or happy about this - it takes hours of work to create that piece , if someone chooses to own an iKon what is paramount is they are happy with their purchase.

Tried my best to make it correct thru the vendor he purchased it from , but he is within all his rights to simply want a refund , fortunately considering the amount of iKon's out there now , this does not happen often.

In a perfect world , it never would have NEVER had happened.

I wish we lived in a perfect world.......
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

can someone tell me why one side is open comb and the other closed? i can't seem the rationalize this train of thought. maybe,,,siamese twins and one prefers the open comb and the other a closed comb? :-B
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

gil3591 wrote:can someone tell me why one side is open comb and the other closed? i can't seem the rationalize this train of thought.
\:D/ in·no·va·tion:

/Noun/

The action or process of innovating.

A new method, idea, product, etc: "technological innovations" =D>
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

Mike wrote, "If you have been offered a replacement or refund, I don't understand what the big deal is. "

First, let's put this in perspective. I don't consider this a big deal. Debilitating disease is a big deal. Car accidents that crush half your face are a big deal. Strokes are a big deal. Losing a child to a drunk driver is a big deal. I doubt Greg's livelihood is on the line here either; It's obvious that most people here continue to have faith in Greg's products and branding. So this seems like a fairly little deal to me.

Here's what the little deal is about, in my opinion:

Do you remember the Red Ryder air rifle in the movie A Christmas Story? "I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!" is what Ralphie said as he slid down away from Santa.

There's a strong vein of "Christmas morning" emotion feeding this forum. Much of this forum is about wanting stuff, deciding whether to buy stuff, buying stuff informed by those wants, waiting expectantly for the arrival of bought stuff, seeing if those wants and expecations were satisfied by the stuff we bought, and then sharing pleasure or disappointment over that stuff with others on the forum.

How often have you read on this forum --or thought -- "I can't wait to try it," or "Oooh, I want one of those"? This is not a Red Ryder though; I use that example only to point out the premise of a consumer-driven economy: the creation of desire through branding and advertising and the satisfaction of desire through purchase. Red Ryder sells Wild West adventurism to little boys stuck in a schoolroom and their neighborhoods. The problem I have with both of my purchases is that iKon's branding is quality -- even in his early models he was advertising fine hand-crafted workmanship. He's not selling razors; he's selling quality. Dealers that sell a $25 DE razor are selling razors.

That's the problem I have in this very little deal. Twice I ordered what Greg's selling: quality. Are there any other DE razor makers who claim as high of quality as Greg does? Twice I expected to get what's he's selling: quality. When I bought directly from Greg and when I bought from a retailer, I didn't get it. If Greg were to say on his marketing "we eventually deliver quality," or "if you do not receive quality you will be refunded," or "if your product is not high quality the first time, we'll send you another one that is," I wouldn't've been as disappointed. But IKon is supposed to "ALWAYS deliver high quality" (his capitals, not mine).

This isn't about Greg getting kudos for standing behind his product, as Tim's mentioned. I could order a 25 dollar DE razor and return it if it's bent; other razormakers who cast or machine from more zinc-based metals will also stand behind their product. Does any razormaker have a "no returns no refunds" policy? This is about Greg setting himself apart as a craftsman, as someone who always delivers quality, and then passing the buck. I'm not impressed with Greg's comment that the H2O shouldn't've been shipped like that. He's right; it shouldn't have shipped like that. But the 2009 iKon shouldn't've shipped either. Greg's explained the 2009 fluke as "a very early example" iKon, but he still handcrafted it and shipped it himself.

If my customers don't like the product I've given them, I own the mistake. Greg apologized above, sort of. He said "Sorry that you received a razor that looks as if is was crushed in transit - it sure did not leave my hands that way." This is really his explanation to himself of why he doesn't want to own the mistake. Another forum member (who I will keep anonymous unless he wants to out himself) emailed me after this post and said:

Ya here is the response he needs.

“Holy crap I can’t believe how much bad luck you have had. I feel so much pride the quality of my workmanship that I am shipping you a free S3S to help restore your faith in my quality products. Please consider my company for future purchases if you enjoy the S3S I am sending you.”

When my own customers are dissatisfied or inconvenienced in any way, I give them a full refund and I give them the product they paid for or better if it's possible. I also apologize thoroughly for the inconvenience I've cause them. I do this because I want loyal return customers, and it works. I have a thriving business.
Last edited by dadsoldmug on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dadsoldmug wrote:Mike wrote, "If you have been offered a replacement or refund, I don't understand what the big deal is. "

First, let's put this in perspective. I don't consider this a big deal. Debilitating disease is a big deal. Car accidents that crush half your face are a big deal. Strokes are a big deal. Losing a child to a drunk driver is a big deal. I doubt Greg's livelihood is on the line here either; It's obvious that most people here continue to have faith in Greg's products and branding. So this seems like a fairly little deal to me.

Here's what the little deal is about, in my opinion:

Do you remember the Red Ryder air rifle in the movie A Christmas Story? "I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!" is what Ralphie said as he slid down away from Santa.

There's a strong vein of "Christmas morning" emotion feeding this forum. Much of this forum is about wanting stuff, deciding whether to buy stuff, buying stuff informed by those wants, waiting expectantly for the arrival of bought stuff, seeing if those wants and expecations were satisfied by the stuff we bought, and then sharing pleasure or disappointment over that stuff with others on the forum.

How often have you read on this forum --or thought -- "I can't wait to try it," or "Oooh, I want one of those"? This is not a Red Ryder though; I use that example only to point out the premise of a consumer-driven economy: the creation of desire through branding and advertising and the satisfaction of desire through purchase. Red Ryder sells Wild West adventurism to little boys stuck in a schoolroom and their neighborhoods. The problem I have with both of my purchases is that iKon's branding is quality -- even in his early models he was advertising fine hand-crafted workmanship. He's not selling razors; he's selling quality. Dealers that sell a $25 DE razor are selling razors.

That's the problem I have in this very little deal. Twice I ordered what Greg's selling: quality. Are there any other DE razor makers who claim as high of quality as Greg does? Twice I expected to get what's he's selling: quality. When I bought directly from Greg and when I bought from a retailer, I didn't get it. If Greg were to say on his marketing "we eventually deliver quality," or "if you do not receive quality you will be refunded," or "if your product is not high quality the first time, we'll send you another one that is," I wouldn't've been as disappointed. But IKon is supposed to "ALWAYS deliver high quality" (his capitals, not mine).

This isn't about Greg getting kudos for standing behind his product, as Tim's mentioned. I could order a 25 dollar DE razor and return it if it's bent; other razormakers who cast or machine from more zinc-based metals will also stand behind their product. Does any razormaker have a "no returns no refunds" policy? This is about Greg setting himself apart as a craftsman, as someone who always delivers quality, and then passing the buck. I'm not impressed with Greg's comment that the H2O shouldn't've been shipped like that. He's right; it shouldn't have shipped like that. But the 2009 iKon shouldn't've shipped either. Greg's explained the 2009 fluke as "a very early example" iKon, but he still handcrafted it and shipped it himself.

If my customers don't like the product I've given them, I own the mistake. Greg apologized above, sort of. He said "Sorry that you received a razor that looks as if is was crushed in transit - it sure did not leave my hands that way." This is really his explanation to himself of why he doesn't want to own the mistake. Another forum member (who I will keep anonymous unless he wants to out himself) emailed me after this post and said:

Ya here is the response he needs.

“Holy crap I can’t believe how much bad luck you have had. I feel so much pride the quality of my workmanship that I am shipping you a free S3S to help restore your faith in my quality products. Please consider my company for future purchases if you enjoy the S3S I am sending you.”

When my own customers are dissatisfied or inconvenienced in any way, I give them a full refund and I give them the product they paid for or better if it's possible. I also apologize thoroughly for the inconvenience I've cause them. I do this because I want loyal return customers, and it works. I have a thriving business.
the problem with your idealistic return and free replacement policy is that everyone would damage their new razor in order to get a refund and a free razor to boot. i doubt anyone could stay in business doing that.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

I'm not talking about posting this as policy on a company website; I'm talking about this as something you do when you have complaints. Maybe my policies are too idealistic. But if they are, then my idealistic small business is thriving. I've only had one customer in the last three years who's pulled that one on me.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

dadsoldmug wrote:I'm not talking about posting this as policy on a company website; I'm talking about this as something you do when you have complaints. Maybe my policies are too idealistic. But if they are, then my idealistic small business is thriving. I've only had one customer in the last three years who's pulled that one on me.
i can see why you would be upset. the second razor is a quality control issude for sure. do you think the one with the bent safety bar was damaged in shipment?
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
dadsoldmug

Post by dadsoldmug »

It may have been bent when it left Greg's hands, or may've gotten bent between him and the retailer. Who knows.

I'm fairly confident that the first razor I bought from him wasn't bent in transit because the shipping materials were intact.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i would think you need to give ikon the benefit of the doubt on the bent safety bar. something like that would definately be returned so why would he knowingly send that out?
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer