Review: GEM MicroMatic Family

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ShadowsDad

Review: GEM MicroMatic Family

Post by ShadowsDad »

The GEM MicroMatic Family

3rd in the continuing series of SE razor reviews.

As always, other folks impressions/reviews of the reviewed razors are welcome.

I’m already on record as stating that the Open Comb MicroMatic (OCMM) is a favorite razor of mine. Despite that I think can write an honest appraisal of this family.

It consists of these razors introduced in this order:

Open Comb MicroMatic (OCMM) (1939)
Clog-Pruf (1941)
Flying Wing or Bullet Tip (1947)

They all measure 3 ½ “ long and weigh 65 grams (my scale is only accurate to 5 grams. If something weighs 63 grams it'll show 65 grams). The heads are 1 11/16" wide. The Bullet Tip feels heavier to me, but that is either my imagination, the shape of the handle, or different weight distribution because of the handle shape. The bullet tip has basically a truncated cone as the shape of the TTO knob. The other 2 models continue the conical shape of the entire handle.

The major difference is the comb and the area behind the comb that allows the lather and whiskers to pass. The open comb passes all spent lather under the blade and through the comb, the Clog-Pruf has 2 huge trapezoidal openings, and the Flying Wing has 3 rectangular openings.

The Flying wing has a different handle, the OCMM and the Clop-Pruf have similar handles. For me the Flying Wing handle works fine. The other two handles I need to add o-rings to in order to get rid of the "It's slipping out of my hand" feel. I don't care for the handles w/o the o-rings. I use an extremely light grip and I don't put my pinky under the bottom of the handle. If I did place my pinky finger there the handle might be fine for me.

Use these razors the same as any other SE razor. They require the cover to almost be sliding flat against the skin. In fact, that’s what the original directions say- keep the head against the skin. I like them best when the head is laid against the skin (assuming a north to south stroke) and just lower the handle slightly to get the razor head just off of the skin. This is a significantly different blade angle compared to a double edge razor.

All of these razors give the same great shave. For me it’s 2 passes and some touchups for a BBS. They all shave great. The difference is in the way they feel. These are NOT mild razors- they require perfect technique and are unforgiving of the smallest lapse- especially the OCMM.

All three have the great sound of most all SE razors as they mow down the whiskers. It sounds something like buttering a piece of toast.

The Clog-Pruf has an aggressive shave w/o the harsh blade feel. It feels much less aggressive than it actually is on my face. For me that’s very dangerous. I want to feel the aggressive nature of the razor if it’s aggressive and all of this family are. If I don’t feel it then I become complacent and that gets me into trouble. Unless I constantly strive to remember how aggressive this razor is it can lead to blood. Despite those words, it might be just a touch more forgiving than the OCMM.

The Flying Wing has the same aggression of the Clog Pruf, yet is more sophisticated in some way that I can’t quit put my finger on. Of the bunch IMO this is the most refined, yet gives the same shave as the others. Possibly it's the handle that makes me think it's more refined.

The Open Comb (OCMM) is the brute. It’s pure aggression and it doesn’t let the user forget it and I like that. I get lulled into complacency if I don’t have the reminder of the feel of the blade. But that isn’t for everyone, neither is this razor. Same shave as the other 2 models though. When I was shaving my head, it was the OCMM that gave me the best results of all my razors, but to be fair I didn't have a Clog-Pruf or Flying Wing then.

These razors aren’t for everyone and definitely not for a new shaver. But if you like an aggressive razor and an ultra close and long lasting BBS with minimal effort, they might be for you. Let your technique slip or your attention wander though and you’ll be seeing red.

I may be able to compare the aggressiveness of the shave to other razors. In DE it might be like a Slim set to 9. It isn't as aggressive as the Muhle R41. It's about the same as an EverReady '29, maybe just a touch less aggressive. Those are the ones I can think of that come close.

I like these razors. The OCMM is my favorite, but I can use them all. The only real problem I have with them is the handle as I stated, but that's easily corrected with a trip to the hardware store. Lots of folks like the razors just as they are.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Very nice Brian, very nice.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Your reviews are even-handed and very informative, Brian, not to mention well illustrated. Thanks for yet another one.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

What kind of camera do you use to post pics as clear as these? :shock:
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks. I thought they were OK for this use.

Anyway, it's a Sony DSC F828. It's been out of production for many years and there is much better today. It still works though and I have all sorts of accessories, so I continue to use it.

I looked for a pic of it on my computer, but it must be on DVD.

Anyway, I googled it and found this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Since Brian (ShadowsDad) did such a great job on the pictorial side of things (as well as a great review) I'll just type up my thoughts on 2 of the 3 in the Micromatic family. I do not own the Flying Wing (aka Bullet Tip), nor I have ever shaved with it so my review will not speak to that one at all.

Of the other 2 Micromatics, the OCMM (Open Comb MicroMatic) is far and away my favorite. About a month ago I had one of the worst shaves of my wet-shaving career with the Clog Pruf so I put it away and didn't shave with it again until yesterday. After 2 shaves with it in a row (yesterday and today) I can say that my previous poor performance was user error, distraction, and being in a rush. The OCMM is still my preferred of the two and I will go into why here in a second.

The only difference that I can detect between these two razors is the safety bar. The Clog Pruf has a solid guard bar while the OCMM is, well, open comb. As mentioned by Brian before, the OCMM really lets you feel the blade on your face while the solid guard bar of the Clog Pruf takes some of that harshness away. For me it takes a concerted effort to draw blood with the Clog Pruf thanks to this solid guard bar, while the OCMM will slice you if you aren't behaving. Do I think the OCMM takes the fun out of shaving because you have to concentrate during the whole shave? Absolutely Not! You just have to really know this razor, your beard growth, and your face. You take the time to learn all of those variables and the OCMM will reward you with great shaves each time.

Unlike Brian, this Brian loves the handles on these Micromatics. I don't have any issue with them slipping out of my hands at all. However, I did notice something when reading through the previous review that we differ in. I like to hold my pinky under the bottom of the handle while ShadowsDad doesn't. The length of these handles and the shape of the heads are why I prefer these razors to any of the 1912 style razors.

Now to me, both of these razor are very efficient especially when compared to most DE razors (and most other SEs for that matter IMO). However, the Clog Pruf's solid guard bar really hinders the different angles at which I can use the razor and still get good results. The blade gap seems to be much less in the Clog Pruf as well which gives me a lower quality shave. My hair is very thick and coarse so a larger blade gap really provides not only a more efficient shave for me, but also a smoother shave. The solid guard bar on the Clog Pruf didn't let me get the spots under my chin and jawline as easily as the OCMM does. Part of this could be that I use the OCMM much more and really know that razor while I haven't given the Clog Pruf near as much face time. However, I truly believe that the solid guard bar prevents me from using angles that I otherwise can use thanks to the larger blade exposer and gap on the OCMM.

I can easily use either of these as a daily shaver. I could not have said that a few months ago. Fortunately, I've learned more about myself, my technique has improved, my lather making has improved, I've found a pre-shave routine that really helps prepare my face and stubble, and most importantly I've found a great A/S balm that hydrates my skin extremely well. I find this final post-shave step is really the most important pre-shave step for my shave the following day. Don't neglect your skin between shaves as it will only lead to a lesser degree of forgiveness with any of your chosen razors and blades for that day.

Just for reference sake, the only DE that I've shaved with to date that can compare to these Micromatics is a Gillette Slim opened all the way up to 9 with a Feather blade inside. Keep in mind what I said earlier about why blade gap is important to me and understand that raising the # on your Slim is actually increasing the blade gap. The shave I got with the Slim @ 9 would be pretty close to a Clog Pruf shave for me. The OCMM still has it by a hefty margin in my book. If you're new, then I wouldn't suggest trying these Micromatics right away. That is unless you are like me and just can't seem to find a DE razor/blade combo that works for you. The Micromatics are very efficient razors and I'm happy to be able to shave with these so often. It's really a crying shame that razors of this quality aren't still being made today. I do hope to try a new 2011 R41 sometime this year as from what I read it sounds like the most likely DE candidate for my face.

As a loyal GEMocrat the Micromatics (the OCMM particularly) make up the bulk of my shaves with the Heavy Flat Top getting the leftovers. So the OCMM would be my President, the Clog Pruf is Vice-President, while the Heavy Flat Top is the Senate Majority Leader. Now that is about as good as politics is going to get!
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Trout Whisperer

Post by Trout Whisperer »

Thanks for the reviews, Brians!

My experience with the open-comb and Clog-Pruf models is similar. It took a few shaves to find and maintain the proper angle, and to shave around my Adam's apple, etc., but the OCMM makes quick work of my barbed-wire beard.
"Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free." — A. W. Tozer
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Where's Themba?

I'd chime in, since I have all these models, but it's been a while since I've used one. This might inspire me to load one with a fresh blade.
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

The open comb micromatic will stay in my den forever.
Glasstream15

Post by Glasstream15 »

I have a Clog-Pruf and I like it. Only had it since Christmas. Present from my daughter. She found it in an antique mall in Illinois and got it for $1.12. I picked up a pack of GEM by Personna blades at Walgreen's and I have used the razor twice. First time was totally unsatisfactory, due totally to operator error. Second shave I got a "good" shave. But I've been using a couple of other new ones, a Shick "G" that I got as a PIF on B&B and a Tech I picked up at the flea market here. On my 7th shave with a Personna 74 blade in the Schick. I gotta get the GEM back out. Tomorrow!