PAL injectors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
m3m0ryleak

PAL injectors

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I thought I had RAD under control but saw this pair in another forum's B/S/T and well...you know...I've never had one of these. :roll:

Both are in VG condition, shaved with the adjustable yesterday, new NOS Schick Plus Platinum, dial set halfway between Low and High, very nice. More mass than any Schick injector I own.

Sorry for cell fone pics, I can do a DSLR if you would like better images.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Nice looking razors. I have never owned a Pal injector and would like to try one someday.
Rich
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

Pal was originally known as Pal Cutlery Company based in Massachusetts and later in New York in the 1920s and 1930s. They made double edge razors and double edge blades similar to Gillette razors of the time. After the company went out of business and in the early 1950s, the brand name was acquired by American Safety Razor Company, aka ASR, aka GEM, aka Personna, who continued to make double edge razors and blades under the Pal name but also marketed its injector razors and injector blades under the name after Schick's patents on injector razors expired. More Pal injectors were sold in Europe than in the US because Schick pretty much owned the injector market in the US. Even Gillette's attempt at an injector failed because people equated injector with Schick. That's why you find more Pal injectors on eBay UK than you do on eBay US. Today, ASR and its brands is owned by Energizer (yes, the battery company) who also owns Schick and WilkinsonSword.
-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
slantman

Post by slantman »

Very nice razors. The mechanics of injectors have never been equaled. I think the Schick blades are still the best even so they are currently made in China. They use an all metal dispenser which is superior to the Personna plastic. Use them well.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I have a PAL and have used it a time or 12. For me it was two aggressive for me. I may have to break it out and give it another spin sometime though. Nice heavy razor and it looks really cool.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I have both of the PAL's shown in the picture. Both shave very well. So many razors, so little time......

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recently picked up two of the stainless injectors. The first I threw away because the adjusting mechanism was non functional. Threw it away because it might have accidentally been resold to someone as good enough to shave with, and it was not. That's what happened to me, because the seller was simply not aware. A razor is a razor, right! That's what I thought too.

Then I got the second, a NOS. I did not find the shave quality set on high to be aggressive enough. So I have one but don't use it. I have not yet had the pleasure of using the older, standard model with the yellow handle. Maybe I'll pick one up at a flea market sometime for a couple of bucks, and will have a chance to try it out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger »

It is a real shame. It isn't the first time have seen the adjustment mechanism on these broken
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was disappointed because it's a beautiful and substantial razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just got an Adjustable PAL Injector in the mail and had a shave with it tonight with a Chinese Schick. Wonderful shave. I've got most of my DE's out on loan so I'm glad I received this one. I'm quickly becoming a fan of injectors. I had one of the older Schick Eversharps and it didn't do as well as the PAL or the later model Schick I have now. I also have a Schick Adjustable coming with my Cobra Razor tomorrow so I'm looking forward to that.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

This thread made me dig out my stainless PAL injector and give it a run. I found my (small) stash of Personna 74 injector blades and the pair really gives a nice shave. Injectors really are one of the best kept secrets.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
tave

Re: PAL injectors

Post by tave »

The adjustable is a sharp looking razor. I like the sleek lines. It shaves well and feels good in the hand too.
Don't talk to me while I'm shaving!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tave, I realize there aren't many brands of injector blades to choose from. Which ones do you prefer? Have you been able to locate a dependable source? I agree with you regarding the design of the Pal.
Gary

tave

Post by tave »

Gary, I get my blades from Amazon. They're reasonably priced and I think they're the Chinx blades folks talk about. I average 6-8 shaves from them. If I pushed it I probably could get 10. But I don't choose to, stopping before irritation can take hold.
Don't talk to me while I'm shaving!!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I confess I would enjoy using the Pal adjustable even more if I could figure out a way to adjust it to make it more aggressive.
Gary

santamariasteve

Post by santamariasteve »

brothers wrote:I confess I would enjoy using the Pal adjustable even more if I could figure out a way to adjust it to make it more aggressive.
Have you tried lowering the angle of the handle some?

The correct blade angle on a Pal Adjustable is a little illusive, because if you look closely the angle of the blade is different that the angle of the face of the razor that touches your face.

Consequently, one has to have the handle at a lower angle than for most razors. Experiment. It's a marvelous razor with the correct angle. Dialed up, it can be quite aggressive. I have a fairly tough beard, and I have the dial set at "4."

My first shaves were way too mild as I had the angle of the handle too high.