Relative Razor Aggressiveness Scale

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mikeny278

Relative Razor Aggressiveness Scale

Post by mikeny278 »

Just wondering how the newer razors rate in terms of aggressiveness against the standard straightbar fixed head Merkur. I have been using a Merkur Classic, and like that, but wondering if there is something between that and the Slant? I know the new Muhle R41 is bad news, but what about the EJs, iKon, and old Muhle?
AFG

Post by AFG »

I read recently that the blade gap on the newer EJ razors was measured against the Merkur and was considerably less. I don't recall the exact measurements. I have been using one recently and it is a bit more comfortable to use than the Merkur. I have an iKon too but have no idea how it compares in actual blade gap but I would guess it's closer to the Merkur. All of them work well and give me close comfortable shaves
Al
slantman

Post by slantman »

Consider the Merkur 41C 1094 open comb. Not too aggressive and yet not mild. This is a good inexpensive alternative to an iKon which now feature a straight bar and open comb all in one razor. All the EJ heads no matter which handle you select are all the same. They are a mild shave but comfortable.
The 1904 41C are usually under $30 + shipping. Weighs in at 2.2 oz which is not too shabby.
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

Thanks, I am always interested in aggressiveness because I like to do a 1-pass or 2-pass shave. I understand if you are doing 3-4 passes, it normally doesn't matter what shaving tool you are using because you will end up in the same place, but I don't want to try anything less aggressive than a Merkur Classic because that gives me a good enough 1-2 pass shave, but I wouldn't mind a razor a little more aggressive.

I used to be a huge fan of the 1904 open comb. I actually cannot remember if I gave it away, threw it away, or still have it in my bathroom drawer, which probably sounds funny after my last sentence! I will need to take a look, but if memory serves me right, somehow the threading got off and it was hard to tighten/untighten (My Merkur Classic never has had this issue), and I think some of the plating started chipping off as well.

I am interested in the EJs. They are nice looking razors, and someday will likely give one a shot.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

The EJ razors use the same head as the Muhle R89. It is supposed to be milder than a Merkur, so it would not likely suite your desire for something more agressive than your Merkur Classic Closed Comb.

The three Merkur fixed head types (closed comb, open comb, and slant) are obviously different from each other, but a given head type is pretty much the same across razor models; same head with a different handle slapped on it. So if you liked the 1904 Open Comb and you like the way your Classic feels, maybe get the Classic Open Comb (aka 15C, aka 157). I have not personally used it, but it may be just the ticket for what you want.

Alternatively, perhaps you should look into an adjustable.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

If you want a close 1-2 pass shave with a DE, consider the new Muhle R41 tooth comb. It gives an almost str8 shave with the right blade. I love mine, but it puts a premium on technique and prep. A great razor if your shave-fu is strong.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
brothers

Post by brothers »

The Slant, in my opinion, is uniquely aggressive and smooth. It's very interesting that no other manufacturer has tried to duplicate Merkur's design, at least as far as I know.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
yohannrjm

Post by yohannrjm »

bbqncigars wrote:If you want a close 1-2 pass shave with a DE, consider the new Muhle R41 tooth comb. It gives an almost str8 shave with the right blade. I love mine, but it puts a premium on technique and prep. A great razor if your shave-fu is strong.

Wayne
The R41 is certainly one to consider. However, it won't work for everyone, regardless of their 'shave-fu'. This is a razor that really will work brilliantly for some people, but not for others (based on skin type, hair thickness and growth density, as well as experience). When it doesn't work, it fails miserably.

I had one, and was able to get good shaves with it, but found it to not be worth the 'danger level' - I still needed a 3-pass shave, and there were razors that were much more comfortable that shaved every bit as well (for me).

One other thing - it's not as comfortable to use as a straight (not for me anyway). It allows for a lot of aggression, but straights have other advantages apart from aggression.

The only way to figure out if it works for you is to give it a go.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen