Le Coq Open Comb Extreme

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Le Coq Open Comb Extreme

Post by brothers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Here's another French razor that looks spectacular. I was excited to find it, because it's got a great 1930's Art Deco style. I was looking forward to the first shave, but am not looking forward to a second, or any other! This bad boy will go toe to toe with the Muhle toothcomb R41 any day, and will equal or exceed the blood factor easily. As you can see, the blade is just hanging out there, ready to remove anything in its path, including but not limited to whiskers! Real pretty to look at, though, and I am glad I have it, for aesthetic reasons, only. Without further discussion, I'm happy to introduce the razor I call the Le Coq Open Comb Extreme. (Le Coq is French for "The Rooster")

Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

The second of 2 very interesting razors you've posted not very far apart in time. Hey, I'd have to give it a shot too!

I bet you don't feel at all guilty about enabling RAD do you!? :)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

gil3591

Post by gil3591 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm

ouch
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer

SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm

That is one nice looking razor. Where are you finding these French beauties at?

Not to step on any toes, but is this really an open comb since all the teeth are connected by a solid bar after they wrap around? It makes me think of an extreme version of the Gem 1912 closed combs.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro

brothers

Post by brothers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14 pm

I go to a lot of estate sales and flea markets. I don't know about any official rules for what we call stuff. :lol: Meanwhile, if anybody can get lucky and determine what the manufacturer's official designation was, I'd be very appreciative!
Last edited by brothers on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic & badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

slantman

Post by slantman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:19 pm

It looks more like a weapon then a razor. Makes the R41 look gentle.

franz

Post by franz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am

Really interesting design. So what if it thirsts for blood?

scareyourpassenger

Post by scareyourpassenger » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 am

slantman wrote:It looks more like a weapon then a razor. Makes the R41 look gentle.
I dunno, I bet the blade exposure isn't that bad.

OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:48 am

These razors are all so beautiful, but if they shave like an R41 or Fatip, I know they won't work for me. Very nice razors, thanks for sharing.
--------------------------
-Moe

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:59 am

Surprisingly, the Leresche shaves quite well and not overly aggressive. The safety bar is positioned in such a way that even though there's a gap between the blade and the guard bar, the angle is remarkably effective. The two times I've shaved with the Leresche, I've been getting close, smooth, and comfortable shaves. Quite nice actually.
Gary

SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:14 am

brothers wrote:I go to a lot of estate sales and flea markets. I don't know about any official rules for what we call stuff. :lol: Meanwhile, if anybody can get lucky and determine what the manufacturer's official designation was, I'd be very appreciative!
While open comb vs closed comb is pretty self-explanatory this razor definitely finds a middle ground and is a hybrid. The bar that joins the teeth looks to be so far wrapped under that it wouldn't touch the skin thus giving the effect of an open comb where the teeth are touching the skin. So technically one, while shaving like the other???
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro