My New Gem

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
scruffy

My New Gem

Post by scruffy »

I just won what looks to be a new Gem razor. I love the razor, but I do not know how I ended up purchasing it.
:?

Here are the pictures. It came with the instructions and the razor insert. I have attached some pics.

I have a few questions.

Are the old ASR (I assume they are ASR) blades safe to use?

Will any SE blade do; or do I need shaving blades like Treet?

Is the loading cartridge refillable?

Is there anything else I should know?

It looks to be a brass razor with faux plastic ivory handle. Is this correct?

Thank you for answering my questions. You are a great bunch here.

Gem Picture #1
Gem Picture #2
Gem Picture #3
Gem Picture #4
Gem Picture #5
Gem Picture #6
Gem Picture #7
Gem Picture #8
Gem Picture #9
Gem Picture #10
Ed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

That's a GEM Featherweight, looks like a NOS. They are pretty decent and mild shavers. Well, mild at least in the SE world. It's easily capable of a BBS in 2 passes, at least for me since I've had my face mapped for quite some time and pay attention to it during my shave.

For blades, yes, use blades intended for shaving. Any modern SE blade in that catagory will do, there aren't many and some folks like some and dislike others. Rite-Aid and CVS both have good SE blades. If the blade doesn't say Stainless on the spine it's carbon steel and either needs to be oiled before use and after each use to prolong the life, or open the razor and dry the blade and razor. GEM carbon steel blades shave great and are worth trying as long as you don't mind the extra maintenance. Walgreens has GEM SS blades, I've heard good things about them, but can't confirm. If you decide you like the razor Ted Pella 121-3 blades are SS and definitely sharpened and honed for shaving. I think they go for about $50/200 with shipping last time I bought a bunch. I think very highly of them.

At some point see how many shaves you get from a blade. Most SE users report quite a few more shaves from one blade than compared to DE blades. I got to 18 shaves with one, and finally gave up out of boredom. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a few more out of it.

Be aware that the angle you'll need for the razor is much steeper than for a DE razor. Lay the cover of the razor flat against your cheel and just slightly lower the handle (assuming a down stroke) to slightly get the head off of the cheek. That'll be about right. The manual doesn't say anything about lowering the handle, just shaving with the head against the cheek. Try both ways and see which works better for you. Go by sound and feel though. You'll definitely hear it cutting when it's working right.

If you want to read more about the Featherweight and another razor with the same head try this: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49273
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

ShadowsDad wrote:That's a GEM Featherweight, looks like a NOS. They are pretty decent and mild shavers. Well, mild at least in the SE world. It's easily capable of a BBS in 2 passes, at least for me since I've had my face mapped for quite some time and pay attention to it during my shave.

For blades, yes, use blades intended for shaving. Any modern SE blade in that catagory will do, there aren't many and some folks like some and dislike others. Rite-Aid and CVS both have good SE blades. If the blade doesn't say Stainless on the spine it's carbon steel and either needs to be oiled before use and after each use to prolong the life, or open the razor and dry the blade and razor. GEM carbon steel blades shave great and are worth trying as long as you don't mind the extra maintenance. Walgreens has GEM SS blades, I've heard good things about them, but can't confirm. If you decide you like the razor Ted Pella 121-3 blades are SS and definitely sharpened and honed for shaving. I think they go for about $50/200 with shipping last time I bought a bunch. I think very highly of them.

At some point see how many shaves you get from a blade. Most SE users report quite a few more shaves from one blade than compared to DE blades. I got to 18 shaves with one, and finally gave up out of boredom. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a few more out of it.

Be aware that the angle you'll need for the razor is much steeper than for a DE razor. Lay the cover of the razor flat against your cheel and just slightly lower the handle (assuming a down stroke) to slightly get the head off of the cheek. That'll be about right. The manual doesn't say anything about lowering the handle, just shaving with the head against the cheek. Try both ways and see which works better for you. Go by sound and feel though. You'll definitely hear it cutting when it's working right.

If you want to read more about the Featherweight and another razor with the same head try this: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49273
+1, saved me a bunch of typing.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Thank you for the replies Gentlemen and the great info.

She shaved great. I found a slight downward angle from flat on the face to be perfect.
The shave was close with little irritation. This gem might become one of my favorite shavers.

Does anyone know if the razor cartridge can be reloaded?
Ed
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Nice find. I enjoy using my Featherweight, but I did not know they made a "gold" version.

Regarding the blade dispenser, I have not used one so I cannot say for sure. My guess would be that it was not intended to be reloaded per se, but you could probably load blades into it by carefully backing them through the opening. Then you would need to find something to push down the side below the slide catch. Sounds like it may be more trouble than it is worth, but then again it is a nice addition to the set.

Let us know.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

The SE is a unique shave. :)
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Andy,

You are right. The dispenser seems to be reloadable. It has a spring mechanism similar to the Schick Injector. Insert the blade into the slot where it injects. Move the red arrow backwards. And push down inside the open slot on top where the red arrow is with a small screwdriver to fully seat the blade.

After I asked the question about reloading the cartridge, I noticed that many sites do sell single edge blades with a dispenser cartridge. This dispenser cartridge is a nice novelty item to have along with the razor.

It is great to have little toys.
Ed
okiwen

Post by okiwen »

Very please to have stumbled on this particular thread.

I have been DE shaving for a number of years now and have taken the learning curve for the straight. I was bidding on a Gem just for grins and not knowing what to expect.

It looks like the same razors as a paint scraper, no?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

[quote="okiwen"]Very please to have stumbled on this particular thread.

I have been DE shaving for a number of years now and have taken the learning curve for the straight. I was bidding on a Gem just for grins and not knowing what to expect.

It looks like the same razors as a paint scraper, no?[/quote]

Well, as far as looks goes, yes, but that's where it ends. A hardware store blade may or may not be sharp enough. You might get away with it, but probably not. If you go to the pharmacy, some names that I know that have shaving quality blades are CVS, Rite-Aid, and Walgreens. Go thier shaving section and they will have SE (Single Edge) blades designed and sharpened for shaving.

Those blades will be expensive compared to other blades, and some will be carbon steel (CVS, Rite-Aid) they are fantastic blades but either require oiling before use and a drop or 2 after use, or removal and drying off after use. Less expensive blades are sold by surgical/lab supply houses. Ted Pella is one such outfit. His 121-3 blades are the blades you want for shaving. There is another oufit that sells them as well, I don't know the name but the acronym is EMS (?- I think that's it). The blades you're looking for are GEM triple facet sharpened, Stainless Steel ptfe coated, I think the EMS company calls them their sharper blades or some such. Last batch I bought from Ted Pella I spent $50 with overnight shipping (signature required) for 200 blades. That's a lot of shaving since I can get at least 15 BBS shaves from one blade.

Be aware that the shave angle is different than a DE razor. It's much steeper, the head will basically lay against your cheek. Well almost.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square